AirPods Max
Jul 23, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4,651 of 5,629
They are advertised as New and not refurbished. I might call Apple Sales for an opinion.
I probably wouldn't trust it. Apple Sales might not be able to help, though not a bad idea. I'd contact the seller and ask why they are selling it. If they give you a serial, that can't be 100% trusted either nowadays since fake AP and APP use stolen serial numbers :/ Though I haven't heard of any of that happening with the APM yet.

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #4,653 of 5,629
I probably wouldn't trust it. Apple Sales might not be able to help, though not a bad idea. I'd contact the seller and ask why they are selling it. If they give you a serial, that can't be 100% trusted either nowadays since fake AP and APP use stolen serial numbers :/ Though I haven't heard of any of that happening with the APM yet.
But if the product gets Apple's firmware updates and is getting immediately recognised on OP's iPhone as APM with its serial number and all other details by Apple's servers, then it means it is 100% legitimate, doesn't it? So, if only OP could find a way to check this before buying, it would be the sole guarantee promising solution, I guess.

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #4,654 of 5,629
Sorry but where do you find Atmos tracks? Are you only listening on Apple’s Atmos playlists? Because all my new music that I add every day to my library is lossless. No Atmos at all! Apart from the pop style songs of Billie and Taylor Swift which I can only find in Apple’s Dolby Atmos playlists, and which do not match my musical taste that well, there is nothing else. I mean, if the music of my preference does not exist in Atmos there is no use of it for me. It will be only lossless with wires again, or spatialized stereo for all Apple Music tracks, when it arrives on iOS 15.
Mostly just random pop albums as you’ve noted. That’s the best use case for Atmos. It also requires a dedicated mix engineer, so you’re more likely to find commercialized music converted to Dolby Atmos.

Some Atmos songs sound overly digitized. “Sugar, We’re Going Down” by Fall Out Boy which Apple featured on multiple playlists sounds worse in Atmos, maybe understandably so. It’s usually the older rock tracks that don’t convert well to the format.

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #4,657 of 5,629
But if the product gets Apple's firmware updates and is getting immediately recognised on OP's iPhone as APM with its serial number and all other details by Apple's servers, then it means it is 100% legitimate, doesn't it? So, if only OP could find a way to check this before buying, it would be the sole guarantee promising solution, I guess.
The knockoff AP and APP are able to spoof the majority of these things on your list already. That includes the pop up and some of the info.

Jul 24, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #4,658 of 5,629
The knockoff AP and APP are able to spoof the majority of these things on your list already. That includes the pop up and some of the info.
Even though knock-offs are getting sophisticated (visually)… they still cannot replicate the access to iOS actual settings that require the M1 chip (settings within the AirPods themselves such as enabling spatial audio, button settings for ANC etc).
Since the knock-offs are essentially still seen as a third party Bluetooth device by the iOS.
Makes it easy to differentiate a knock-off vs. the real thing.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #4,659 of 5,629
Really? I could not imagine! How can it be so? In order to get firmware and Apple's acceptance serial the headphone must include Apple's chips. It seems impossible to add those chips in a knockoff, since only Apple has the knowhow to produce them. And if they are so capable to produce chips, then the product is more of a hybrid, original/knockoff!! :)

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #4,660 of 5,629
I’ve already posted this happy news elsewhere (in the IEM discovery thread where I’ve been talking a lot lately), but I’ve known you guys for awhile now. I wanted to let you know…

I got my first patron! The name of the patron somewhat makes me wonder if it's a troll account haha....but I hope it's someone who is sincere and just has a sense of humor in their username :)

(for sake of privacy, I wouldn't reveal it unless it can already be seen on the supporters page)

Anyway, I'm super pumped to see the support on there and I feel invigorated to make more videos and try even harder! Just had to share the excitement!

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #4,661 of 5,629
Yeah, the whole album isn’t tagged as Dolby Atmos, but some tracks are actually in Atmos.

Thanks. Unfortunately, that track does not play in Atmos for me. Do you see the Atmos badge on the song itself when playing it? I don't get the badge on that or any other songs from that album.

Perhaps the Atmos version isn't available in all countries. I'm using Apple Music U.S.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #4,662 of 5,629
Hey chaps,

I know it's not an APP thread but you guys have been most helpful and responsive so I am asking the question here:

I am encountering annoying break ups playing Apple Music on my APP though my iPhone11Pro with latest IOS (no beta).

At home, in my Wifi-network it can be resolved by pressing pause and play again or skipping tracks.
Just coming from the gym I got really annoyed trying to play some offline playlist and got breakups after playing the list like 5-15 seconds and the song just paused each time - and didn't play further even when pressing pause/play, etc.

It seemed to work after I enabled wifi and 4G in Apple Music app and on the iPhone itself - but that can't be the sense of downloading a playlist for going out or to the gym etc.

Anyone here made some similar experiences and knows a solution?
Btw I enables ATMOS for streaming and downloading songs...

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #4,663 of 5,629
Anyone here made some similar experiences and knows a solution? Btw I enables ATMOS for streaming and downloading songs...
I think the latest iOS (14.7), which came out earlier this week, had a fix for lossless audio playback unexpectedly stopping. Definitely make sure you’ve got the latest version on your iPhone.

Beyond that, you could always try removing the downloaded songs, and re-downloading them and seeing if the issue persists. If it does, try switching the quality in Settings to High Quality (not lossless) and repeat the process.

Jul 25, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #4,664 of 5,629
I think the latest iOS (14.7), which came out earlier this week, had a fix for lossless audio playback unexpectedly stopping. Definitely make sure you’ve got the latest version on your iPhone.

Beyond that, you could always try removing the downloaded songs, and re-downloading them and seeing if the issue persists. If it does, try switching the quality in Settings to High Quality (not lossless) and repeat the process.
How could I miss the IOS update? 🙄
Thx, I will try

Jul 25, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #4,665 of 5,629
It is the first time that I realise and would like to share it with you here that the APM's sound is kind of veiled. So I can finally sympathise with and understand people here and elsewhere who do not like their sound signature that much. I have used my APM to listen on one of my music pieces on which I was working lately (mainly recorded on Logic Pro using midi as well as analog sources) and since I know very well all the details and sounds' extensions I am in a position to be an accurate judge. So the APM is presenting a rather dark copy of my piece, which when I hear on monitor speakers, or even on some BA iems like my Shure Aonic 4 (hybrid DD and one BA), is giving me a ton more details in the synths tails, in some drum sounds, voices etc. Some background sounds also are completely mute on the APM. If I was mixing on the APM I would certainly use eq to elevate certain frequencies, which seem absolutely fine and clear on my other speakers, thus leading me to mistakes in the final mix. I think this is the fate of all elevated bass headphones. You cannot find easily a headphone with such a deep a punchy bass to combine with full mids and treble details presentation. It turns out to be a veiled and dark sound, certainly missing out on the details of a music piece. Apart from the sound though, it's a very good headphone, sturdy, comfortable, with high quality materials, having of course also all the benefits of Apple's chips, Spatial audio, perfect ANC etc. But for sound alone, it may not cut it, especially for audiophiles and people who like a resolving presentation as well as a detailed and accurate sound. It was for sure a surprise for me, on my own music, and certainly kind of disappointing since it is not a cheap item, but ok, it certainly has its uses...

Edit: Of course another question would be where does my piece sound better? Well, its dark and veiled copy of the APM is not bad, but it certainly is not accurate. The more balanced/bright speakers present clearly what I made, when the APM presents a more laid back and less fatiguing sound. So, veiled is not bad (for sure goes mellower on the ears), but the problem is with accuracy which is not there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back