AirPods Max
Jul 6, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #4,516 of 5,629
I was drafting the longest breakdown of AirPods Max vs Unique Melody MEST, with Atmos on vs off....and it's gone. Hours and hours drafting that thing. All gone...

I was also going to attach to it my first YouTube channel video (once it got made), talking about the topic. I guess you can subscribe to see it pop up on your feed. Or just wait for it to show up in this thread soon (ish).

:sob:

Welp. May as well just get to making that video then! I'll share it soon with you all. *Spoiler alert*....Atmos is my new favorite thing.

P.S. Prepping my channel has led me to make a rankings chart. Feel free to explore!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #4,517 of 5,629
I was drafting the longest breakdown of AirPods Max vs Unique Melody MEST, with Atmos on vs off....and it's gone. Hours and hours drafting that thing. All gone...

I was also going to attach to it my first YouTube channel video (once it got made), talking about the topic. I guess you can subscribe to see it pop up on your feed. Or just wait for it to show up in this thread soon (ish).

:sob:

Welp. May as well just get to making that video then! I'll share it soon with you all. *Spoiler alert*....Atmos is my new favorite thing.

P.S. Prepping my channel has led me to make a rankings chart. Feel free to explore!
Very helpful.
As I came along the same route with top tier IEMs it's good to see such comparisons
Thx.
Will your (soon restored) review also contain mentioning of movie listening as an own discipline?
I am actually not planning to use Max for music listening when having yet other top tier gear for that.
I had once MEST MKII and found these stunning for movie listening with good sense of space and extraordinary dry bass which was surprisingly excellent with movies.
Am interested in how far Max can best this experience in terms of Immersive 3d experience and bass rumble for explosions etc

Jul 7, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #4,519 of 5,629
Anyone else have the APM somehow amplify the noise floor? There some songs with hiss, noise, crackling in the background, I checked the songs on other headphones and it is indeed something on the recording but the APM seems to like to dig it up and play it in the foreground.
Do you have headphone accomodation balanced on full by any chance?

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #4,520 of 5,629
Very helpful.
As I came along the same route with top tier IEMs it's good to see such comparisons
Thx.
Will your (soon restored) review also contain mentioning of movie listening as an own discipline?
I am actually not planning to use Max for music listening when having yet other top tier gear for that.
I had once MEST MKII and found these stunning for movie listening with good sense of space and extraordinary dry bass which was surprisingly excellent with movies.
Am interested in how far Max can best this experience in terms of Immersive 3d experience and bass rumble for explosions etc
I’ll see about including movie watching in my video if I can. Thanks for asking!

Jul 7, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #4,522 of 5,629
I’m playing Lossless files and getting the Spatialize effect. I’m not sure about Hi-Res Lossless, but I’d assume it’s the same. I mean, technically Lossless doesn’t play over Bluetooth due to bandwidth limits, but whatever compression is occurring is still better than playing a 256 AAC. In other words, playing an ALAC file that gets compressed down to transmit over Bluetooth still sounds better than just playing an AAC file.

As far as the toggle, it’s just like with Atmos. When listening via the APP or APM, press and hold the volume control within Control Center and you’ll see a “Spatialize Stereo” button in place of the Atmos button.

As far as third party headphones, I’m not sure if Spatialize works with them at all. With Atmos, you can toggle the “Always On” mode in Settings and any headphone will play Atmos files, but from my brief testing, that doesn’t appear to be the case with Spatialize Stereo. It seems to only work with APP/APM.
Thanks! I also got the impression even on iOS 14 that I currently use, that lossless files on my APM sound better and more "open" than the AAC ones. So I imagine that on iOS 15 difference will be much clearer. I don't care for 3rd party wireless headphones with Apple Music, since apart from my wired ones where I can hear the pure lossless, I intend to only use the APM for wireless spatialized stereo. Thanks again.

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #4,523 of 5,629
So did I understand correctly that spatial audio
- is yet supported for Apple Music on IOS 14 and APP / APM
- is yet supported for Amazon Prime Video running on IOS 14 and APP / APM
- is yet supported for Apple Music on (only new?) Apple TV 4k and APP / APM running latest beta of TVOS
- is yet supported for Amazon Prime Video on (only new?) Apple TV 4k and APP / APM running latest beta of TVOS
?

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #4,524 of 5,629
So did I understand correctly that spatial audio
- is yet supported for Apple Music on IOS 14 and APP / APM
- is yet supported for Amazon Prime Video running on IOS 14 and APP / APM
- is yet supported for Apple Music on (only new?) Apple TV 4k and APP / APM running latest beta of TVOS
- is yet supported for Amazon Prime Video on (only new?) Apple TV 4k and APP / APM running latest beta of TVOS
?
  • Dolby Atmos (which is what Apple is calling Spatial Audio for Apple Music) is supported on iOS 14. 3D head tracking Spatial Audio Music is not supported until iOS 15. But it is working in the betas. Spatialized stereo is also supported in iOS 15.
  • Apple does not have control over 3rd parties and their implementations of Spatial Audio which seemed to be a requirement in iOS 14. I do not believe that Amazon has added support in their Amazon Prime Video app yet in iOS 14. iOS 15 does seem to work with Spatial Audio which is quite odd.
  • According to this Apple Music support on tvOS is coming in the fall it seems.
  • According to this tvOS 15 currently does support Prime Video, but not Netflix.
Keep in mind that the betas are betas. They will have bugs and not all new features will be implemented yet. Ironically the current public beta of iOS 15 doesn't seem to let you play Atmos tracks on unsupported headphones, even when set to always on, it's definitely a bug though. I also get some random freezing of apps when trying to scroll quickly and text boxes disappearing in Safari. It is mostly stable though from my uses. I also have to manually reconnect to all my old WiFi hotspots, though I think that's more related to the %s bug that was recently discovered and supposedly fixed in the betas.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #4,525 of 5,629
  • Dolby Atmos (which is what Apple is calling Spatial Audio for Apple Music) is supported on iOS 14. 3D head tracking Spatial Audio Music is not supported until iOS 15. But it is working in the betas. Spatialized stereo is also supported in iOS 15.
  • Apple does not have control over 3rd parties and their implementations of Spatial Audio which seemed to be a requirement in iOS 14. I do not believe that Amazon has added support in their Amazon Prime Video app yet in iOS 14. iOS 15 does seem to work with Spatial Audio which is quite odd.
  • According to this Apple Music support on tvOS is coming in the fall it seems.
  • According to this tvOS 15 currently does support Prime Video, but not Netflix.
Keep in mind that the betas are betas. They will have bugs and not all new features will be implemented yet. Ironically the current public beta of iOS 15 doesn't seem to let you play Atmos tracks on unsupported headphones, even when set to always on, it's definitely a bug though. I also get some random freezing of apps when trying to scroll quickly and text boxes disappearing in Safari. It is mostly stable though from my uses. I also have to manually reconnect to all my old WiFi hotspots, though I think that's more related to the %s bug that was recently discovered and supposedly fixed in the betas.
Thx!
Getting APP by end of the week and try to go beta with my old Apple TV 4k and see if spatial audio will work on Prime Video.
That ll be my actual use case.
Will report back.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4,526 of 5,629
Thx!
Getting APP by end of the week and try to go beta with my old Apple TV 4k and see if spatial audio will work on Prime Video.
That ll be my actual use case.
Will report back.
Nice, please do report back. I don't own an AppleTV, so everything I know comes from stuff I read on r/iosbeta or media articles :p Hope it works out for you.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #4,527 of 5,629
Nice, please do report back. I don't own an AppleTV, so everything I know comes from stuff I read on r/iosbeta or media articles :p Hope it works out for you.
Actually I will get APP for sports and business telcos but it will be a good benchmark to test what's yet working before deciding pro or con APM

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #4,528 of 5,629
Actually I will get APP for sports and business telcos but it will be a good benchmark to test what's yet working before deciding pro or con APM
The AirPods line is great for business calls in general. One of the major uses I have for the headphones. That and flights too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back