AirPods Max
Jul 8, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #4,546 of 5,629
I was able to get head tracking on my iPhone on iOS15. You need to make sure the video you are watching is Dolby Atmos or 5.1 (not all are). I ended up having to actually search Dolby Atmos to test it.
Can you give me an example which should work on Prime Video?
No success so far.
Seems also that the volume rocker switch is only popping up for Apple Music but not when playing a prime movie...

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #4,547 of 5,629
Can you give me an example which should work on Prime Video?
No success so far.
Seems also that the volume rocker switch is only popping up for Apple Music but not when playing a prime movie...
I watched the first couple minutes of Tom Clancy's The Division Agent Origins and was able to get head tracking working with my iPhone.

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #4,548 of 5,629
I watched the first couple minutes of Tom Clancy's The Division Agent Origins and was able to get head tracking working with my iPhone.
Maybe just not working on old IPad Pro?
While new movies sound spatial, no head tracking with APP and IOS 15 beta and Prime 🙄
Same story in AppleTV+ app on IPad playing trailers

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #4,550 of 5,629
It means you think I will get use to it? You had this issue to with your first ANC headphones? I will try them for 14 days and hopefully it will be fine. Otherwise I will return them.
I think that you must be unusually sensitive. Almost all the posts in this long thread that mention pressure on the ear was the almost total absence of it in the APM versus competitors in a surprised tone. For what it is worth, the APMs are vented and I think most ANC headphones are not.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #4,551 of 5,629
Just did my first sport session with APP and Apple Music configured in Atmos.
Not sure if it's really working as designed in IOS14 but I was positively surprised about the performance and stage of that cheap tiny IEMs.
DSP seems to make a good job and for Pop songs it's really a decent setup
Might look into equing the bass a bit up but also stock wise I have expected the worst coming from high end IEMs but APP is doing quite well Imho
What I found though is that they are quite silent in Atmos mode - I had them at like 75% which seemed like 50% without Atmos.
Need to test more but anyone else encountered the same with APP or APM?

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #4,552 of 5,629
While new movies sound spatial, no head tracking with APP and IOS 15 beta and Prime 🙄
Requirements are here. I don't think the older iPad Pro is supported. There is actually a hardware requirement for it on the source's side.

Just did my first sport session with APP and Apple Music configured in Atmos.
Not sure if it's really working as designed in IOS14 but I was positively surprised about the performance and stage of that cheap tiny IEMs.
DSP seems to make a good job and for Pop songs it's really a decent setup
Might look into equing the bass a bit up but also stock wise I have expected the worst coming from high end IEMs but APP is doing quite well Imho
What I found though is that they are quite silent in Atmos mode - I had them at like 75% which seemed like 50% without Atmos.
Need to test more but anyone else encountered the same with APP or APM?
iOS 14 supports Dolby Atmos, the only thing you'll not have is head-tracking specifically. So you should still get the 3D effect out.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #4,553 of 5,629
I don't like spatial audio with my APP. It makes me dizzy and I don't need the image to be fixed when I am walking around with the APP.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #4,554 of 5,629
Funny, chaps from other high end threads all joining in here 😃

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #4,555 of 5,629
I don't like spatial audio with my APP. It makes me dizzy and I don't need the image to be fixed when I am walking around with the APP.
I know with music, if you move around too much, it just gives up with head tracking and stops altogether.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #4,556 of 5,629
Without head tracking I liked the experience.
Talking about stage size alone I know such sizes usually only from much more expensive IEMs plus serious amping...

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #4,557 of 5,629
Funny, chaps from other high end threads all joining in here 😃
I just bought a pink APM for my wife since she wanted them and is not an audiophile. I listened to them for a few hours. I see them as a full sized headphone version of the APP. Decent for phone calls. Good implementation of ambient sound. Decent noise cancellation if you need it. Easy to use and pair and works well in the Apple ecosystem. And, the sound is okay. The bass is terrible. I think those who like the bass of the APM haven't really heard good bass in a headphone or IEM. It's boomy and not very textured. The fit isn't great either. The bra case is tragic. For me, I will stick with my APP and Sony WF-1000-XM4. Man, they need a new name for the Sony.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #4,558 of 5,629
Without head tracking I liked the experience.
Talking about stage size alone I know such sizes usually only from much more expensive IEMs plus serious amping...
Oh yes. I think the APM has great potential for home theatre applications. I am thinking about getting an Apple TV to test it. Right now, we are Roku based for our streaming services. If Apple can deliver a superior experience, it's worth testing.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #4,559 of 5,629
I just bought a pink APM for my wife since she wanted them and is not an audiophile. I listened to them for a few hours. I see them as a full sized headphone version of the APP. Decent for phone calls. Good implementation of ambient sound. Decent noise cancellation if you need it. Easy to use and pair and works well in the Apple ecosystem. And, the sound is okay. The bass is terrible. I think those who like the bass of the APM haven't really heard good bass in a headphone or IEM. It's boomy and not very textured. The fit isn't great either. The bra case is tragic. For me, I will stick with my APP and Sony WF-1000-XM4. Man, they need a new name for the Sony.
Will pm you later regarding movie watching, that's what I am primarily chasing here

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #4,560 of 5,629
The bass is terrible. I think those who like the bass of the APM haven't really heard good bass in a headphone or IEM. It's boomy and not very textured. The fit isn't great either.
Would respectfully disagree... that's quite a categorial statement there.

While APM's bass is not as punchy and coherent as TH900's or as textured and deep as EE Odin (both of which I own & love listening to), the bass on the AMP is decent and sounds good overall, considering this is a wireless headphone.

XM4's bass on the other hand... I guess we hear things differently, fair enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back