AirPods Max
Jul 1, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #4,501 of 5,629
Anyone tried TVOS Beta where apparently Spatail Audio works to Airpod Max?
I just want to know what it is like for iTunes Content - Movies purchased.

my main use case is wireless TV audio.
I'd assume it would work the same for an iPad or iPhone. So, if you own an iPad or iPhone, test your iTunes content on there and see if it works.

Edit: I tested Rogue One on my iPad and it does seem like it works. I would assume it would work the same on tvOS.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #4,502 of 5,629
I'd assume it would work the same for an iPad or iPhone. So, if you own an iPad or iPhone, test your iTunes content on there and see if it works.

Edit: I tested Rogue One on my iPad and it does seem like it works. I would assume it would work the same on tvOS.
Cannot assume as it has not worked on current public TVOS which is why i am asking.

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #4,503 of 5,629
Cannot assume as it has not worked on current public TVOS which is why i am asking.
It wasn't supported on tvOS. Very different than not working.

Edit: the public beta for tvOS has dropped. So if anyone with an Apple TV wants to try, this would be the time. I can't comment on the stability/issues with the beta. Most that were on the iOS/iPad OS 15 betas have reported that it's generally stable with few issues.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #4,506 of 5,629
Are you on the public beta? It has been released.
I assume @Soundizer is asking if someone else has tested and confirmed that the TVos public beta is indeed supporting spatial audio on the APM. He does not use beta himself, I guess, he is just seeking for confirmation from someone else who uses the particular public beta which just got released yesterday.

Jul 1, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #4,507 of 5,629
I assume @Soundizer is asking if someone else has tested and confirmed that the TVos public beta is indeed supporting spatial audio on the APM. He does not use beta himself, I guess, he is just seeking for confirmation from someone else who uses the particular public beta which just got released yesterday.
Spatial audio was confirmed working on the tvOS dev betas. It should work with iTunes purchases (movies that support Atmos) like it does on the iPad/iPhone.

Edit: the dev and public betas are the same, but the dev betas have a higher number since public betas are available a month or two after dev betas. So dev beta 2 is public beta 1.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #4,508 of 5,629
I have installed the public Beta TV OS 15, but I have only an Apple TV HD not the 4K version. The Apple TV HD does not support Spatial Audio with the AirPods Max. So, I´m also interested to know, if it will work with the 4k Version. Perhaps someone can Check this.

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #4,509 of 5,629
So today I decided to buy the new Apple TV 4K, now I have installed the TV OS 15 beta. Here are my impressions of Spatial Audio using the Airdods Max: First of all it works with Amazon Prime and Netflix, I did not expect this. I tried several movies and concerts (Interstellar, Lupin, Rammstein in Paris) and in the Control center you see that Spatial Audio is active. You can even here it directly by moving your head from left to right, very impressive. I have also tried some movies from my iMac by using the plex App. This works also with spatial audio, but you do not see the effect in the control center. The Spatial audio display in the control will not change when you click on it, but you hear the spatial audio effect. Two concert movies with EAC 5.1 sound have no tone when played with the TV OS 15 beta.
edit: does not work with netflix
edit2: if you choose „oldplayer“ in the plex app, it also works.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,510 of 5,629
Anyone else have the APM somehow amplify the noise floor? There some songs with hiss, noise, crackling in the background, I checked the songs on other headphones and it is indeed something on the recording but the APM seems to like to dig it up and play it in the foreground.

Jul 4, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #4,511 of 5,629
Anyone else have the APM somehow amplify the noise floor? There some songs with hiss, noise, crackling in the background, I checked the songs on other headphones and it is indeed something on the recording but the APM seems to like to dig it up and play it in the foreground.

Will depends on whether or not the APM's frequency response at your eardrums highlights some aspects of a recording more than other headphones or not.

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #4,512 of 5,629
For the sake of watching movies only : Has anyone compared these to cans specialized on movie watching such as Sony WH-L600, Sennheiser RS195/175?

Edit: as no one seems to own dedicated movie headphones, how do you guys rate Max in terms of the spatial feature compared to what you get with your decent midfi phones you ve been usually wearing for that sake before?
- Is the immersion to your feeling well worth it without thinking about alternatives (not talking about real loudspeakers)?
- is there really the illusion of not only behind but also above you like it is stated for Atmos sources?
- how do you rate speach comprehensibility?
- how do you rate realistic perception of explosions (and stuff sitting in the low freq channel in multi channel streams)
Thx!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #4,513 of 5,629
So iOS 15 has a new feature called Spatialize Stereo, where it takes stereo tracks and gives them an Atmos-like effect.

I’ve gotta say, I think I actually prefer Spatialize Stereo over actual Atmos tracks. It adds a sense of space without adding too much of that echoey, distant sound you get from Atmos.

iOS 15 also adds head tracking, which is neat. I’m not sure what I think of it yet. It’s odd because it picks a fixed location in space, plays your music relative to that location, but then if you turn your head and wait a few seconds, it gradually recalibrates and picks a new location as the anchor.

This is all with AirPods Pro and AirPods Max. I don’t don’t if any other headphones support these features.

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #4,514 of 5,629
So iOS 15 has a new feature called Spatialize Stereo, where it takes stereo tracks and gives them an Atmos-like effect.

I’ve gotta say, I think I actually prefer Spatialize Stereo over actual Atmos tracks. It adds a sense of space without adding too much of that echoey, distant sound you get from Atmos.

iOS 15 also adds head tracking, which is neat. I’m not sure what I think of it yet. It’s odd because it picks a fixed location in space, plays your music relative to that location, but then if you turn your head and wait a few seconds, it gradually recalibrates and picks a new location as the anchor.

This is all with AirPods Pro and AirPods Max. I don’t don’t if any other headphones support these features.
No 3rd party headphones support head tracking, since it's done because of the H1 chip in APP and APM. Please let me know, how will we get spatialize stereo with APM? Will there be an on/off toggle in Apple Music settings? is it either lossless or spatialize stereo or Atmos?

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #4,515 of 5,629
No 3rd party headphones support head tracking, since it's done because of the H1 chip in APP and APM. Please let me know, how will we get spatialize stereo with APM? Will there be an on/off toggle in Apple Music settings? is it either lossless or spatialize stereo or Atmos?

I’m playing Lossless files and getting the Spatialize effect. I’m not sure about Hi-Res Lossless, but I’d assume it’s the same. I mean, technically Lossless doesn’t play over Bluetooth due to bandwidth limits, but whatever compression is occurring is still better than playing a 256 AAC. In other words, playing an ALAC file that gets compressed down to transmit over Bluetooth still sounds better than just playing an AAC file.

As far as the toggle, it’s just like with Atmos. When listening via the APP or APM, press and hold the volume control within Control Center and you’ll see a “Spatialize Stereo” button in place of the Atmos button.

As far as third party headphones, I’m not sure if Spatialize works with them at all. With Atmos, you can toggle the “Always On” mode in Settings and any headphone will play Atmos files, but from my brief testing, that doesn’t appear to be the case with Spatialize Stereo. It seems to only work with APP/APM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back