AirPods Max
Jan 28, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #2,807 of 5,629
Its the humidity, condensation is unavoidable. But the APM have been pretty ok even after 3hrs, I don’t find my ears all sweaty like I do with leather. My ears are dry and not because of the cloth absorbing my perspiration.

Agree to disagree!

Wrong, but to each his own! Most probably your are generally a sweaty type...

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #2,808 of 5,629
Its the humidity, condensation is unavoidable. But the APM have been pretty ok even after 3hrs, I don’t find my ears all sweaty like I do with leather. My ears are dry and not because of the cloth absorbing my perspiration.

Agree to disagree!

The APM heat issues are probably the closest I’ve gotten to an open back (with a closed back format). The other one that is equally as good is perforated suede with breathable foam. Still not as good, but very good for a closed back. Leather and pleather tends to actually be worse for heat with me unless its perforated from this regard. Everything with the APM is really breathable from that perspective. The fabric isn’t the smoothest, but it is very breathable.

That said, I’m able to do 4 hour listening sessions indoors with no condensation issues. It only happens if I run outside in sub-0 weather for about an hour (being very active).

I still find it ironic how he’s trying to correct people on their perceptions of headphones simply because they don’t seem to agree with his preconceived notions.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #2,809 of 5,629
ah well.. everyone is entitled to their opinions.

on condensation, did u look beyond the aluminium grills and look at the drivers below the mesh? I find condensation collecting on the drivers and not on the aluminium parts. They don’t affect SQ though so I’m not too sure if this happens to all headphones since most are covered up where I can’t see them...

I posted a pic of it a couple of pages back

The APM heat issues are probably the closest I’ve gotten to an open back (with a closed back format). The other one that is equally as good is perforated suede with breathable foam. Still not as good, but very good for a closed back. Leather and pleather tends to actually be worse for heat with me unless its perforated from this regard. Everything with the APM is really breathable from that perspective. The fabric isn’t the smoothest, but it is very breathable.

That said, I’m able to do 4 hour listening sessions indoors with no condensation issues. It only happens if I run outside in sub-0 weather for about an hour (being very active).

I still find it ironic how he’s trying to correct people on their perceptions of headphones simply because they don’t seem to agree with his preconceived notions.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #2,811 of 5,629
good for u! Don’t do it! Now I can’t stop checking every so often.. it’s making me picky over nothing

I use these for generally 4+ hours per day and have not been tempted to check out the condensation because I have not experienced any problems with the device

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #2,812 of 5,629
ah well.. everyone is entitled to their opinions.

on condensation, did u look beyond the aluminium grills and look at the drivers below the mesh? I find condensation collecting on the drivers and not on the aluminium parts. They don’t affect SQ though so I’m not too sure if this happens to all headphones since most are covered up where I can’t see them...

I posted a pic of it a couple of pages back

I do get water droplets on the driver. The first time it happened, it definitely did affect SQ for me as it made the ANC features act weird creating a sort of wind noise if ANC or transparency were on. Overall, it didn’t affect anything else though. Note that the grills aren’t aluminum, they’re actually plastic If I’m not mistaken. The only aluminum is the exterior of the houses. The condensation appears on the plastic portions of the headphones.

Edit: I haven’t heard the wind noise as of recent with the ANC/transparency features though, so Apple may have fixed that in their firmware update... But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,813 of 5,629
I use these for generally 4+ hours per day and have not been tempted to check out the condensation because I have not experienced any problems with the device

I normally don’t check anymore. I tried multiple times to get them to condensate again indoors but have had no luck doing such a thing, so I stopped checking in those scenarios. If I listen to them while shoveling my driveway, that’s a different story though, and I will pull off the pads, blow off as much water as I can, and let them dry with the pads off Because water does get there.

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,814 of 5,629
Should we consider it a given that someone from Apple is paid to read and document user experiences as described in these well-known forums designed for gear/sound enthusiasts? If yes, I gotta few things to say about that there AirPods Max doohickey that I done bought... 🤣

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,815 of 5,629
Lol... i perspire into my Ultrasones with Ethiopian sheep leather or something... just as uncomfortable and non-breathable as pleather or faux leather...

Yes, lol! In the majority of threads of headphones with real leather earpads very, very few people complaining about heat problems and/or sweating ears This isn't true with headphones with "pleather"/plastic earpads (and I know this very well with many "pleather" earpads I trying in the past. So, I'm sorry but no, artificial leather (plastic) isn't like real leather for sweating or hot ears at all.

Unfortunately for me the APM cloth earpads not only making my ears hot, sometimes vary soon (20 minutes), but sometimes creating sweating ears AND sometimes irritating the skin outside my ears.

LOL

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #2,816 of 5,629
Just to state the obvious here, leather absorbs water, plastic does not.

As a direct result, leather may keep skin cooler which can also reduce sweat. Fabric does far better at worst but has its limitations (like a non absorbing closed cell foam directly on the fabric). So it may reach a stasis point similar to leather (or worse depending on how much sweat it can absorb versus leather), but under optimal conditions do better. Think running with a leather shirt versus fabric shirt. Obviously a plastic (non Gortex) shirt would probably do even worse than leather here (venting might change this).

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #2,817 of 5,629

who do you mean by this? If you are referring on me, i just said that he has a wrong perception that leather and plastic are the same, since experience of most people shows that all natural leather is much more adjustable to human body than the artificial plastic. It is just common sense. I also added clearly “...but to each his own”, where did you see me trying to correct people? I never tried to correct anyone here, i just express my opinions freely. Finally i recommend everyone here to watch their behaviors little bit and to not write in a so aggressive mode towards others.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,818 of 5,629
who do you mean by this? If you are referring on me, i just said that he has a wrong perception that leather and plastic are the same, since experience of most people shows that all natural leather is much more adjustable to human body than the artificial plastic. It is just common sense. I also added clearly “...but to each his own”, where did you see me trying to correct people? I never tried to correct anyone here, i just express my opinions freely. Finally i recommend everyone here to watch their behaviors little bit and to not write in a so aggressive mode towards others.

Somebody discounted someone’s entire impressions between a few headphones (with respect to heat) because of the fact that they just assumed they had sweaty ears (when they in fact didn’t). I’m not goin to lie, you are being just as aggressive as the rest of us.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #2,819 of 5,629
Leather is “breathable”. And it would be a joke if anyone would say cloth is less breathable. Been wearing a damn cloth mask for a year now..

I think the problem might be more to do with the foam that they use in the earcups cushions? For example the memory foam on my mattress does trap heat and I prefer natural latex. Who knows? In my limited experience with the headphones that I have, the APM do cause less sweat issues FOR ME.

And of cos it might also have to do with how well the cups seal. The APM seal VERY well. With leather, my spectacles often case a gap, which can allow air to flow through. With the APM there are no gaps that I can see.. they really conform to the spectacles arms.

Yes, lol! In the majority of threads of headphones with real leather earpads very, very few people complaining about heat problems and/or sweating ears This isn't true with headphones with "pleather"/plastic earpads (and I know this very well with many "pleather" earpads I trying in the past. So, I'm sorry but no, artificial leather (plastic) isn't like real leather for sweating or hot ears at all.

Unfortunately for me the APM cloth earpads not only making my ears hot, sometimes vary soon (20 minutes), but sometimes creating sweating ears AND sometimes irritating the skin outside my ears.

LOL

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #2,820 of 5,629
Somebody discounted someone’s entire impressions between a few headphones (with respect to heat) because of the fact that they just assumed they had sweaty ears (when they in fact didn’t). I’m not goin to lie, you are being just as aggressive as the rest of us.
Well, you got it all wrong. I wrote that plastic is warmer than leather, as it is well known in science. Plastic is not absorbent, leather is, thus it is cooler. Leather is natural thus adjustable to human skin, plastic is not. So either his info was wrong, or he just sweats on every material as millions other humans. What is wrong with that?? My point is proven, a leather ear pad can be cooler and more comfortable for most humans (not all, but most) than plastic. It is the truth, as simple as that. Common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back