AirPods Max
Jan 28, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #2,821 of 5,629
Leather is “breathable”. And it would be a joke if anyone would say cloth is less breathable. Been wearing a damn cloth mask for a year now..

I think the problem might be more to do with the foam that they use in the earcups cushions? For example the memory foam on my mattress does trap heat and I prefer natural latex. Who knows? In my limited experience with the headphones that I have, the APM do cause less sweat issues FOR ME.

And of cos it might also have to do with how well the cups seal. The APM seal VERY well. With leather, my spectacles often case a gap, which can allow air to flow through. With the APM there are no gaps that I can see.. they really conform to the spectacles arms.

i never said that leather is cooler than fabric and i never compared with the APM, Angelom did so, since he has used the APM. I just replied to your point that leather and plastic are the same, emphasizing the obvious fact that they are not. Leather is cooler for many reasons. For sure fabric, like the one used on APM, can be even better than leather, so you can feel cooler with the APM, that’s awesome. But real leather and plastic are not the same, on ear pads, jackets, purses, actually on everything.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #2,822 of 5,629
Just an update. Regardless of whatever anyone else says regarding the theoretical impossibility of the APM sounding better wired to an external DAC/AMP (hence "double amping?" and eventually still limited to the cable's ADC and APM's DAC)... I find the APMs opening up when connected to my brand new iFi Diablo running Tidal Masters through the iMac. I have no idea what magic Apple did... but it seems to work like a normal 3.5mm cable. I even had to set the Diablo to "Turbo" in order to "drive" these at the 10-11 O'clock mark. Anyone else with actual experience can confirm or deny?

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #2,824 of 5,629
I'm hoping Apple will add a wired digital out to the APM, so a purely digital signal can leave a MacBook and arrive at the Max's DAC. would be cool to have higher res files that way.

unfortunately, it’s not gonna happen. Apple has stated that the move is to everything wireless as their goal.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #2,825 of 5,629
A lower hanging fruit to improve SQ for most people would be to make a few subtle corrections to the APM’s FR curve.
Higher up the tree a properly and rationally designed consumer-friendly EQ UI that takes into account research into consumer preferences variance to provide the right adjustments (and not necessarily a lot) would be even better. Given the APM’s rather decent default curve I think that a bass shelf adjustment starting at the right frequency + a fixed anchor point at 1000hz + two anchor points higher at around let’s say 3000 or so and another one higher up would already be a good start.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #2,826 of 5,629
Apple has stated that the move is to everything wireless as their goal.

Regarding that goal I'm wondering if the ultra-wideband technology Apple has started to implement in their products could be used for audio over wireless communication. I have no idea so if someone knowledgeable reads this please feel free to chime in.
Bluetooth suffers from higher latency than would be desirable, at least for most codecs, and lower data rates than optimal.
Wifi's data rate is alright but latency even higher and power consumption too high for wearable devices.
I'm not sure I understand how ultra-wideband technology works but from what I gather we could obtain Wifi-like data rates at Bluetooth-like levels of power consumption with a decent range. And perhaps low latency when it comes to wireless audio ?

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #2,827 of 5,629
Regarding that goal I'm wondering if the ultra-wideband technology Apple has started to implement in their products could be used for audio over wireless communication. I have no idea so if someone knowledgeable reads this please feel free to chime in.
Bluetooth suffers from higher latency than would be desirable, at least for most codecs, and lower data rates than optimal.
Wifi's data rate is alright but latency even higher and power consumption too high for wearable devices.
I'm not sure I understand how ultra-wideband technology works but from what I gather we could obtain Wifi-like data rates at Bluetooth-like levels of power consumption with a decent range. And perhaps low latency when it comes to wireless audio ?

Yes but I think vertical H1Bluetooth has apple sauce on it’s protocol. The original AirPods were the only thing that could operate each bud independently when they were released. Everything else was a master/slave with the right bud being the master. They also had the most latency free experience of the cohort.

So yes, UWB could be an interesting avenue. They could also do their own ACC improvements or even a custom hirez codec that was designed Into the hardware enabled stack. Heck, they could even use ACC+, tell no one and none of us would be the wiser to it.

Ultimately, they are now starting to use the words “hi fidelity” in their audio line and that is very exciting. However they get there, we can look at what they have done with screen/imaging technology and be excited.

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #2,828 of 5,629
True. I realise too that movies played through a DAC/AMP on my iMac sounds worse than when my iPhone 12 plays it through the APM. Just amazing.

Also, Apple has Airplay that allows higher fidelity audio... however they are only enabling bluetooth and not the wifi component on APMs right now. They might need to wait for battery technology to catch up I think. 20hrs is already kinda the bare minimum and people are citing 38hrs from the B&O H95 for example in comparison. If they enabled full Airplay on the APM, it's likely to have just 10hrs... but they should have given us the option to choose though... But... they're Apple... since when have they given consumers choice lol... Just colors!

Yes but I think vertical H1Bluetooth has apple sauce on it’s protocol. The original AirPods were the only thing that could operate each bud independently when they were released. Everything else was a master/slave with the right bud being the master. They also had the most latency free experience of the cohort.

So yes, UWB could be an interesting avenue. They could also do their own ACC improvements or even a custom hirez codec that was designed Into the hardware enabled stack. Heck, they could even use ACC+, tell no one and none of us would be the wiser to it.

Ultimately, they are now starting to use the words “hi fidelity” in their audio line and that is very exciting. However they get there, we can look at what they have done with screen/imaging technology and be excited.

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #2,831 of 5,629
ya I meant that they didn’t even put the full airplay in. Apologies if “enabling” was misleading

I don't think that the Airpods Max have Wifi at all.

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #2,832 of 5,629
Built in obsolescence :frowning2:

Or maybe just the desire to move audio forward at some point in time. Only active, smart headphones have the potential in the long term to solve some problems with headphones in general (such as variation in the FR curve at your eardrum when shifting position over your head for example).
And most people these days just don't want wired headphones anymore so it's a bit of a moot point.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #2,833 of 5,629
A lower hanging fruit to improve SQ for most people would be to make a few subtle corrections to the APM’s FR curve.
Higher up the tree a properly and rationally designed consumer-friendly EQ UI that takes into account research into consumer preferences variance to provide the right adjustments (and not necessarily a lot) would be even better. Given the APM’s rather decent default curve I think that a bass shelf adjustment starting at the right frequency + a fixed anchor point at 1000hz + two anchor points higher at around let’s say 3000 or so and another one higher up would already be a good start.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#16092/4046

Sorry, but this is not a treble’s decent default curve. Even taken at first ”sitting” without Jude’s special care, it is still not decent at all.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #2,834 of 5,629
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#16092/4046

Sorry, but this is not a treble’s decent default curve. Even taken on the first ”sitting” without Jude’s special care, it is still not decent at all.

Trebles is the one area where measurements are the least reliable, show the highest amount of variation, even with similar tests rigs, and are the least relevant to your own ears as it's where anatomical influence on FR variation at your ear drum is the most important.

Rtings' measurements show a -10dB response at 4800hz. Of all the measurements we've seen so far for the APM they are the outliers in that area. That doesn't make their measurements invalid, but it just shows that particularly above 1000khz you need to be very careful about how you interpret FR curve measurements. And you're over-interpreting them and probably relying too much on Rtings' score (which is a useless, over-interpretation of their own measurements).

Given the eight or so measurement sets we've seen so far from websites whose methodology is reasonably known, we can see constant trends across measurements :
- An excellent response below 1000hz. It isn't because of the exact magnitude of the bass response, where individual preferences vary anyway. It's because it's very smooth with no significant peaks or valleys, something fairly rare with closed headphones.
- a fairly conservative response around 2000-4000hz, but with a fairly benign response : there is no high Q (sharp) peak or dip.
- a lack of constant tendencies in the trebles response above that : we have a rather poor match between measurements in terms of where the peaks or dips are located, let alone their magnitude. This is not surprising as most headphones will show a lot of variance in measurements above 5000-6000hz or so. The only thing that I personally look for in that area with measurements is whether I get constant features or not, such as a 8000hz peak with most Beyedynamics headphones across various measurements. In the case of the APM it seems that peaks and dips in the trebles are less a product of the headphones' intrinsic design and rather a case of interaction with the test rig / listener's ears.

The first two points mean that at least up to 4000hz the Airpods' Max are very easy to EQ to a satisfying degree in that range. In the realm of closed back BT headphones, let alone closed back full stop, this is exceedingly rare. Hence why I think that their curve is very decent to start with.
Above 4000-5000hz it's difficult to know, but that applies to most headphones in general. Most will show peaks or dips that are at least just as significant as the ones measured on the APM, regardless of whether they're closed or open, wireless or wired. If Rtings's measurements above are not decent to you, then I wonder what you'd think of that :
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#12049/4012/1659

As far as I'm concerned, when they're on my own head :
- trebles is probably the one area where I subjectively find the APM's most objectionable, but at least the peaks aren't painful to my ears unlike most other BT over-ears I've listened to last or this year. headphones such as the A50, M3, Bose 700, PX7, etc. I simply can't listen to and certainly can't EQ to my satisfaction given the very high Q peaks they exhibited when mounted on my ears.
- on my head at least, Rting's dip at 4800hz simply isn't there at all, something that's easy to check simply by adding 10dB with a fairly high Q. The result is ear-rape to me. I've listened to headphones with a built-in null, such as the HD350BT at around 4200hz or so. You can hear such nulls by playing single tones and shifting up or down the tonality. No such null on the APM at 4800hz.
- EDIT : that being said, I certainly would love to be able to EQ them up a little bit somewhere around 3000hz.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,835 of 5,629
Or maybe just the desire to move audio forward at some point in time. Only active, smart headphones have the potential in the long term to solve some problems with headphones in general (such as variation in the FR curve at your eardrum when shifting position over your head for example).
And most people these days just don't want wired headphones anymore so it's a bit of a moot point.

Make no mistake, Apple's only desire is to get more money off you. All BT products (or anything with non-user replaceable batteries) are throw away products. A first generation HD-650 is still perfectly usable (a is used) today. How many BT products will be usable after just 5 years of usage? 10 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back