AirPods Max
Jan 5, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,161 of 5,629
I just went out for my first (and last) interval run in the APMs. Not great. In part because of my pointy head, the steel headband supports bounced on my head. Would have been OK with a standard type headband.

Also noted was transparency mode sucks for running. The microphones pick up footsteps in a super annoying way. ANC was fine, but of course not safe. I heard the same thing hour one going to the gym after picking them up. My footsteps on carpet was also super annoying in transparency mode.

Will be returning for a number of personal reasons. Hoping for a sport model that is less expensive with a wider standard headband. Sound is more than good enough, but volume is too low on a lot of content. Spatial mode is great, but I only have an iPhone Mini. Not even a TV that I could connect with HDMI - only a Macbook (on which I haven't been able to make the iPhone connect to and still have audio from the iPhone.

I should get a set of APPs, but the math for a frugal person is not great. You are paying about 20 times the cost of wired earbuds for what is effectively a disposable device (I hear two years is about what they are good for with heavy use). I'll probably get them in the spring when it is mowing season. The APMs have been great for using a leaf blower to remove driveway snow.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,163 of 5,629
It’s quite a bit more disappointing to read your opinion of my opinion.

I actually do have the golden ears your friends have and know my production/reproduction gear. Better than most. Professionals or forum addicts. Did you have a specific disagreement with my assessment which you would like to engage with me in a public debate about?

In your response, the mixed messages about your lack of a golden ear and not hearing the details you’re looking for are confusing to say the least. Moreover, you completely missed the nuance of the analogy.

Specifically, let’s say we compare the iPhone 12 Pro Max to TOTL camera and ask a passionate/golden-eye camera nerd which is better. They’ll say the optical marvel, every time. The analogy holds in your example.

But honestly, I don’t imagine we’ll have a productive conversation about it and this APM conversation is already quite full of hypothetical bickering.
Maybe I got your point wrong. I agree with the first part, APM/big-stacks = iPhone/DSLR. It's the part about claiming both were getting awfully close.

I sold my share of photos on Getty and I photograph for some high-end audio companies. No, I could not do that with my iPhone. I can occasionally trick people on my Instagram in thinking my iPhone shot is from my camera, but only if I limit myself and the composition to the capabilities of the iPhone. Really, it should be the other way around, so actually claiming iPhone pictures are getting close to DSLR is a claim alone that would make me (as a semi-professional) run up a wall.

I can get used to the AirPods Max as I got used to the AirPods Pro. But I consider neither to be superior to a Final E4000 (not a bad IEM, just with terrible resolution and a lot of mud with slow transients). I don't know what you are used to listening to, but I like multi-layered Jazz and I just can't enjoy it with the APM - I can put on some pumping Electro, some Rap or upbeat Pop to play in the background, even some melodic Jazz, but if I really want to dive into the music and get lost, pick up the details and nuances, the APM are terrible for that. And that's the difference between audiophile gear and consumer stuff. I don't see/hear a blur.
Clouded mids, lack of attack, no transparency, aggressive highs with unnatural tone, failing at replicating any cymbal splash. That's my perception when I am searching for that audio bliss.

Sure, If I were to switch from a Sony XM3/4 I would also claim the APM sound fantastic. It's just that "fantastic" is still bad in this case. For me. Have a good day.

Which other headphones did you compare with the APM to come to the result they sound painful?
Here's a list of my inventory (incl. sold and not available anymore): http://simp.ly/p/WQ6p02 (not including most Chi-Fi or anything below 100 USD)

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #2,165 of 5,629
I just went out for my first (and last) interval run in the APMs. Not great. In part because of my pointy head, the steel headband supports bounced on my head. Would have been OK with a standard type headband.

Also noted was transparency mode sucks for running. The microphones pick up footsteps in a super annoying way. ANC was fine, but of course not safe. I heard the same thing hour one going to the gym after picking them up. My footsteps on carpet was also super annoying in transparency mode.

Will be returning for a number of personal reasons. Hoping for a sport model that is less expensive with a wider standard headband. Sound is more than good enough, but volume is too low on a lot of content. Spatial mode is great, but I only have an iPhone Mini. Not even a TV that I could connect with HDMI - only a Macbook (on which I haven't been able to make the iPhone connect to and still have audio from the iPhone.

I should get a set of APPs, but the math for a frugal person is not great. You are paying about 20 times the cost of wired earbuds for what is effectively a disposable device (I hear two years is about what they are good for with heavy use). I'll probably get them in the spring when it is mowing season. The APMs have been great for using a leaf blower to remove driveway snow.
Who in the world goes for a run with over ear headphones? That’s an absolutely ridiculous way to evaluate these. Sorry.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #2,166 of 5,629
Who in the world goes for a run with over ear headphones? That’s an absolutely ridiculous way to evaluate these. Sorry.

I also find it weird but there are people who do it. I wouldn't even run with APPs for fear of them falling from my ears, lol. Actually I don't like running anyway. :D

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #2,167 of 5,629
This is very sad to read in an audiophile forum. Where does it blur the line?

I passed the APM around at work today (pro-audio speaker manufacturer) and not a single colleague was impressed. Most of them have a history in designing hi-fi gear, playing classical instruments, and production/mixing/mastering. (I'm the only one who's accepted for other qualities than having really precise ears.) All of them aim for perfection and are used to working with the best gear available. We have the best headphones in the office for reference and then trying the AirPods Max is just painful. All details are washed away, nuances are gone. You just can't tell how hard a note is hit or when a voice is imperfect, the APM limits the reality of which is stored in the audio track. The AirPods Max are very much just a consumer device. A clear step up from Sony XM3/4 but worlds apart from something you could use professionally.

I have to admit, after some time my brain adjusts to the APM and they start sounding okay/good for (background) music. But every morning, with fresh ears, or after listening to my wife play the piano, the AirPods Max just sound so wrong, muddy (but with artificial sharpness in the treble) and without any fidelity at all, that it's quite disappointing anew. I can't say these "blur the lines" for me.

I'll be keeping these (mostly to compare with other gear) but if anybody asks me, I'll recommend either (a) the AirPods Pro instead (for the same features and the great mic - though I've been told the new Bose IEM are superior) or (b) plenty cheaper wired headphones (for sound quality).

Haven't had this happen (but now I keep checking every few minutes, thanks! 😂 ), but my ears get terribly hot wearing these. Could become torture in summer - maybe Apple will surprise us with seasonal ear pads!
Out of curiousity, did you try the custom audio setup? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211218#custom-audio-setup
For me it was quite an improvement

And I agree with the reference to professional / high quality gear. I’m allready very impressed by the AKG 712 Pro which put’s my HD700 to shame (in my opinion).

But in the end it’s all rather relative, and we are imo rather spoiled. Makes me think off the biography from Keith Richards,
.... Good records just get better with age. But the one that really turned me on, like an explosion one night, listening to Radio Luxembourg on my little radio when I was supposed to be in bed and asleep, was “Heartbreak Hotel.” That was the stunner. I’d never heard it before, or anything like it. I’d never heard of Elvis before. It was almost as if I’d been waiting for it to happen. When I woke up the next day I was a different guy. Suddenly I was getting overwhelmed: Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, Fats. Radio Luxembourg was notoriously difficult to keep on station. I had a little aerial and walked round the room, holding the radio up to my ear and twisting the aerial. Trying to keep it down because I’d wake Mum and Dad up. If I could get the signal right, I could take the radio under the blankets ...

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,168 of 5,629
Maybe I got your point wrong. I agree with the first part, APM/big-stacks = iPhone/DSLR. It's the part about claiming both were getting awfully close.

I sold my share of photos on Getty and I photograph for some high-end audio companies. No, I could not do that with my iPhone. I can occasionally trick people on my Instagram in thinking my iPhone shot is from my camera, but only if I limit myself and the composition to the capabilities of the iPhone. Really, it should be the other way around, so actually claiming iPhone pictures are getting close to DSLR is a claim alone that would make me (as a semi-professional) run up a wall.

I can get used to the AirPods Max as I got used to the AirPods Pro. But I consider neither to be superior to a Final E4000 (not a bad IEM, just with terrible resolution and a lot of mud with slow transients). I don't know what you are used to listening to, but I like multi-layered Jazz and I just can't enjoy it with the APM - I can put on some pumping Electro, some Rap or upbeat Pop to play in the background, even some melodic Jazz, but if I really want to dive into the music and get lost, pick up the details and nuances, the APM are terrible for that. And that's the difference between audiophile gear and consumer stuff. I don't see/hear a blur.
Clouded mids, lack of attack, no transparency, aggressive highs with unnatural tone, failing at replicating any cymbal splash. That's my perception when I am searching for that audio bliss.

Sure, If I were to switch from a Sony XM3/4 I would also claim the APM sound fantastic. It's just that "fantastic" is still bad in this case. For me. Have a good day.

Here's a list of my inventory (incl. sold and not available anymore): http://simp.ly/p/WQ6p02 (not including most Chi-Fi or anything below 100 USD)

I said that it blurred lines, and I stand by that. Nice gear collection. I'm only moderately surprised that you don't have a more developed ear by now. That's how it goes in this hobby, starting wrong mental models and continuing to build from there is common and why so many forum acolytes are bass-shy or think that the APP is more "neutral" than the APM.

In your E4000 example, I assume you're using a wire. Are you comparing to the APM with a wire on ANC=off? If not, that's not a true comparison and just noisy bad data.

I think most of the readers here would do well to learn more about Computational Photography and then consider how Apple is deploying its Computational Audio tech in these headphones as well as their Homepods. Here's a good primer:

What's not mentioned in the above video is Apple's uniquely skilled Mechanical Engineers. There are not many companies with the kind of Mechanical Product Design culture which Apple has. My company has it. Tesla has it. Pixel, not so much. But the Pixel EE & Comput-photo teams are very legit. One of the unique aspects of the iPhone camera is that it has a mechanical optical image stabilization system on top of computational photography. Those teams over there really sweat the details on their product design. I imagine that the custom driver hits some very exacting targets, which is part of why we see the measurements from Jude performing in such an "most interesting" manner. I don't think many other manufacturers have the kind of acoustic chamber built into their earpads which these have. Just look at the horn-like shape of the structure. Nor do other players have the same kind of end to end control on the signal processing chain for a computational audio product.

Here are some things which we know about these: We know that everything was designed from the bottom up by the largest team of some of best engineers on the planet. Bar none. I can back that up due to my day to day work in the valley where I assemble teams of similar scope/nature. I know the teams at the various headphone firms, their structure and their makeup. Nobody but Bose, Sennheiser, Harman, B&W, B&O are anywhere near as accomplished and it's usually less density of talent with a few gems at the top. Bose actually has some of the best of the bunch, which would come as a surprise to this forum but I digress.

We know that they are actually analyzing all incoming audio to classify the best way to represent the sound on the other side. My guess is that this an Acoustic Modeling system that classifies certain acoustic "events" like drums, cymbals, voices etc and determines how to best represent the sound on the output side. From there, they could apply techniques similar to compu-photo which might include denoise, remixing, resolution enhancement and beyond. We also know that each H1 chip contains 10 Apple-designed audio cores for real-time processing and I'd put money on that team having spent some late nights discussing real-time vs near-real-time for various performance characteristics of these puppies.

When it comes to speaker drivers and materials, I'm obviously a fan of the breakthroughs happening at ORA and would love to see that tech incorporated into products like this but if they can master their materials there in the same way that SpaceX & Tesla have special steel or Apple has a way to make Aluminium achieve certain performance properties which other Aluminium drivers couldn't achieve, does it matter which material they use? All that matters is the performance. And that's where this next-generation of computationally driven products really begin to stand out and blur lines in a way which the previous generations of phones, point and shoots and wireless headphones did not or could not.

Again, look at how these techniques allow phones to significantly outperform their spec sheet and look at the way these puppies measure.

Apple is retaining exceptionally tight control of an end to end performance here that allows mobile audio to blur the lines between mobile audio and TOTL rigs in the same way that the iPhone cameras are disrupting camera technologies. It's computational. And it's the future.

The other aspect about these is that beyond their incredible performance within their class, these are exceptionally useful products for day to day life. Each of us have only so much time and money to allocate to various passions. As mentioned, there's really no contest between these and other ANC headsets. These are a push, at the least, with Panda/Mobious/ORA and thus are decidedly tackling mid-fi and wireless markets concurrently with product design far beyond what's available in either.

I'm selling just about every other headphone these compete with in my collection. I'll be keeping my iSine, ORA, JBL Club One (For DJing), and AKG K371. I have a $6k speaker setup and no reason to invest in an Open-Back/Brick-Stack rig at this time. I tend to prefer headphones that are multi-use and are tools for my life. These things knocked me off my feet.

One last note on tuning: If we consider the deviations from Harman, we actually have something similar to what the ORA team did with their tuning, but with slightly less pronounced deviations in presence and bass. Here are the notes behind the tuning which the Apple design here seems to echo: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rst-graphene-headphones/posts/2481284?lang=fr

So yes, these are wizardry.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #2,170 of 5,629
Further elaborating on our computational future, let's look at the LightL16. This is a great example of how next gen ISP design along with enough of the -right- sensors can really chomp at the bits of traditional DSLR tech: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/10/17218758/light-l16-review-camera-photos

While that camera was objectively a product failure that could be measured on a Juicero magnitude scale, the computational imaging team behind it has just released a next-gen ISP for Autonomy that's really quite stunning: https://light.co/

As you can see, they've pivoted from phones to autonomy yet their core technology that allows basic sensors to perform extraordinarily well is what remains core to the team at Light.

In this example, we can see what computational signal process techniques can do with dedicated hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if the APM was actually closer to the L16 vs DSLR in performance once Jude continues to share more thoughts. I expect these custom drivers and the custom acoustic housing were meeting some very wild performance specs in the R&D days.

Wizards. Headphones by wizards.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2,171 of 5,629
I also find it weird but there are people who do it. I wouldn't even run with APPs for fear of them falling from my ears, lol. Actually I don't like running anyway. :D
I run with my APP without much issue. They do require some repositioning but it’s worth it to not have to futz with a cable. I also use my APPs for riding my peloton and lifting. I would never even contemplate a pair of overears for physical activity. Never mind the cost - my ears get sweaty just thinking about it!

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,172 of 5,629
Diving deeper into Apple's R&D Team, lets look at this article first:
https://www.loopinsight.com/2018/02/06/inside-apples-homepod-audio-lab/

Now that you're up to speed on how serious this R&D team is, look at Gary Geaves' background: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gary-geaves-9aa31644/

PhD in computational acoustics. This matters because this is taking a completely different and very iPhone-like approach to acoustics.

Now, let's expand computational audio to include the HomePod. If you weren't aware: the Homepod measures basically flat in every room, at all angles, all the time. That's just the beginning, though. Now with the foundational platforms in place, they've enabled new spatial audio features for the homepod called "Cinema Mode" which allows 2 homepods to function like well-executed Atmos. Absolutely mind blowing.

Apple is serious about audio and doing things with computational approaches that boggle the mind. And they're designing the speaker systems to enable their grand vision.

Wizardry.

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,173 of 5,629
I said that it blurred lines, and I stand by that. Nice gear collection. I'm only moderately surprised that you don't have a more developed ear by now. That's how it goes in this hobby, starting wrong mental models and continuing to build from there is common and why so many forum acolytes are bass-shy or think that the APP is more "neutral" than the APM.

In your E4000 example, I assume you're using a wire. Are you comparing to the APM with a wire on ANC=off? If not, that's not a true comparison and just noisy bad data.

I think most of the readers here would do well to learn more about Computational Photography and then consider how Apple is deploying its Computational Audio tech in these headphones as well as their Homepods. Here's a good primer:

What's not mentioned in the above video is Apple's uniquely skilled Mechanical Engineers. There are not many companies with the kind of Mechanical Product Design culture which Apple has. My company has it. Tesla has it. Pixel, not so much. But the Pixel EE & Comput-photo teams are very legit. One of the unique aspects of the iPhone camera is that it has a mechanical optical image stabilization system on top of computational photography. Those teams over there really sweat the details on their product design. I imagine that the custom driver hits some very exacting targets, which is part of why we see the measurements from Jude performing in such an "most interesting" manner. I don't think many other manufacturers have the kind of acoustic chamber built into their earpads which these have. Just look at the horn-like shape of the structure. Nor do other players have the same kind of end to end control on the signal processing chain for a computational audio product.

Here are some things which we know about these: We know that everything was designed from the bottom up by the largest team of some of best engineers on the planet. Bar none. I can back that up due to my day to day work in the valley where I assemble teams of similar scope/nature. I know the teams at the various headphone firms, their structure and their makeup. Nobody but Bose, Sennheiser, Harman, B&W, B&O are anywhere near as accomplished and it's usually less density of talent with a few gems at the top. Bose actually has some of the best of the bunch, which would come as a surprise to this forum but I digress.

We know that they are actually analyzing all incoming audio to classify the best way to represent the sound on the other side. My guess is that this an Acoustic Modeling system that classifies certain acoustic "events" like drums, cymbals, voices etc and determines how to best represent the sound on the output side. From there, they could apply techniques similar to compu-photo which might include denoise, remixing, resolution enhancement and beyond. We also know that each H1 chip contains 10 Apple-designed audio cores for real-time processing and I'd put money on that team having spent some late nights discussing real-time vs near-real-time for various performance characteristics of these puppies.

When it comes to speaker drivers and materials, I'm obviously a fan of the breakthroughs happening at ORA and would love to see that tech incorporated into products like this but if they can master their materials there in the same way that SpaceX & Tesla have special steel or Apple has a way to make Aluminium achieve certain performance properties which other Aluminium drivers couldn't achieve, does it matter which material they use? All that matters is the performance. And that's where this next-generation of computationally driven products really begin to stand out and blur lines in a way which the previous generations of phones, point and shoots and wireless headphones did not or could not.

Again, look at how these techniques allow phones to significantly outperform their spec sheet and look at the way these puppies measure.

Apple is retaining exceptionally tight control of an end to end performance here that allows mobile audio to blur the lines between mobile audio and TOTL rigs in the same way that the iPhone cameras are disrupting camera technologies. It's computational. And it's the future.

The other aspect about these is that beyond their incredible performance within their class, these are exceptionally useful products for day to day life. Each of us have only so much time and money to allocate to various passions. As mentioned, there's really no contest between these and other ANC headsets. These are a push, at the least, with Panda/Mobious/ORA and thus are decidedly tackling mid-fi and wireless markets concurrently with product design far beyond what's available in either.

I'm selling just about every other headphone these compete with in my collection. I'll be keeping my iSine, ORA, JBL Club One (For DJing), and AKG K371. I have a $6k speaker setup and no reason to invest in an Open-Back/Brick-Stack rig at this time. I tend to prefer headphones that are multi-use and are tools for my life. These things knocked me off my feet.

One last note on tuning: If we consider the deviations from Harman, we actually have something similar to what the ORA team did with their tuning, but with slightly less pronounced deviations in presence and bass. Here are the notes behind the tuning which the Apple design here seems to echo: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rst-graphene-headphones/posts/2481284?lang=fr

So yes, these are wizardry.

Nice comprehensive post. I agree Computational audio has taken a leap forward due to Apple resources. Knowledge and experience. Already Computational audio exists at Pro level and in Mastering studios costing £££££££££.

imagine what H2 chips will accomplish as the next iteration.

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #2,174 of 5,629
Returning the APM and why the $550 price still makes sense to me
So I decided, for now, to return my APM. As much as they soundly beat my AirPods Pros in many genres, the APM was giving me issues with some of my favorite music - particularly hard rock and metal that have prominent male vocals. They still performed very strong for my taste otherwise though. In live performances of jazz, of female vocalists and acoustics, of classical, and hard/rock metal with female vocals, the APM was superb for me. But...I need my wireless headphone to answer all my questions at least decently enough for my taste. I need to feel all my music, and instead of feeling my male vocal rock/metal, I was straining to hear what I wanted there.

If I was at home with my DAC/AMP, I could try to justify the headphones better as a complement to my HD 800's - filling in the missing range of sub bass and give me another flavor to try when it's convenient to switch headphones.

However...when it comes to wireless portables, I don't want to have multiple options to choose from when exiting the house. I find myself wanting to be picky for the use case of traveling. And, because the APP are already decent across all genres (though not really excelling where the APM do in a few), I decided to return the APM for now. Just for now.

Throughout all the listening and comparing I've done and shared on the forums here, I still support them in every way that I've expressed. I still think they are well worth $550. It's the same for most every headphone. Many in this community have multiple headphones, each worth the same price or more, so they can satisfy different sonic desires. I'm simply too picky to let myself have multiple portable headphones at this time, if any one of those extra portable options fails to connect me to some of my music.

In any case, it's sad indeed because I will actually miss what the APM do very well. Maybe if Apple pushes a tuning update or tuning options for the user, I can find myself having them again. Or maybe I'll buy them again after missing them enough on my next travel! Or...maybe the APP 2 coming soon will have sound quality changes that I will like, and with the convenient in-ear form factor.
Not sure if you mentioned it, but have you tried the Sennheiser wireless momentum 3?

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,175 of 5,629
Nice comprehensive post. I agree Computational audio has taken a leap forward due to Apple resources. Knowledge and experience. Already Computational audio exists at Pro level and in Mastering studios costing £££££££££.

imagine what H2 chips will accomplish as the next iteration.

Indeed! I hope they can improve the bass on the next-gen APP. It would make sense that they're doing a special implementation of their ACC for these as well, making sure that things are perfectly packed/unpacked for the signal. I wouldn't be surprised if the bandwidth that allows for Atmos is also helping with superior stereo resolution.

I've noticed that the spatial audio features on both APP/APM do make the sound... more spatial. I'm quite partial to this when using transparency and walking around downtown. The Spatail audio + transparency allows me to better focus on what's going on around me. When I turn off spatial yet keep transparency, I'm more likely to focus on the sounds in my head and lose track of my surroundings. Obviously, that's very subjective and N=1 here but I think there could be something there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back