AirPods Max
Dec 14, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #271 of 5,629
It is a 2020 release. I talked with Apple since I missed the pre-order (since now it will ship at March 2021) and they said there might be a chance I will get one tomorrow. So we shall see.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #272 of 5,629
I realize this is headfi - and we all are used to "real" headphones which are high performers (hell I run Utopia's, Z1R's, and Stax 009S's). With that said I am surprised by all of the skepticism regarding this new Apple offering. I have demoed every single version of the Sony ANC cans, the Bose 35's and 700's, and I own the B&O H9i's. They all are AWFUL and sound atrocious - when compared to my other headphones.

I find it completely plausible that the Apple AirPods Max can easily equal or surpass the other ANC offerings on the market. The bar is not that high to surpass.
Yes - they are expensive. Your choice if you want to pay or not. My pair will be delivered on Tuesday and I am fully confident they will most likely outperform the low bar set by the current crop of Sony's and Bose offerings

yeah, I understand some people’s skepticism because Apple has not made high end audio products, but I was with Foxconn/Nokia when Apple decided to enter the phone market, management laughed back then.....

Apple today is far bigger and has enormous resources, and like you said, the bar on wireless headphone market isn’t exactly high, so I wouldn’t underestimate Apple.

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #273 of 5,629
yeah, I understand some people’s skepticism because Apple has not made high end audio products, but I was with Foxconn/Nokia when Apple decided to enter the phone market, management laughed back then.....

Apple today is far bigger and has enormous resources, and like you said, the bar on wireless headphone market isn’t exactly high, so I wouldn’t underestimate Apple.

Exactly.
Just look at what the iPhone did to the digital camera market. Nikon, Canon, Olympus....all decimated.
I think some of the headphone manufacturers should be a bit worried

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #274 of 5,629

I think they will achieve sound not even the ORIOLLUS TRAILLI can get to with software/trickery.
Let’s be honest, we want three things:

Bass first, Soundstage 2nd, and decent/acceptable treble and mids so no perceptible muddiness. Bass can be artificially created as well as soundstage, decent treble easily obtained. I have very high hopes for what apple will bring. Take it from me one of the biggest apple haters of all time, their products have been fantastic lately. Their watch/m1/iPad pros/airpod Pros. Apple has knocked it out of the park. I’m a huge Samsung fanboy but Apple is winning me over. I say that as someone who owns the Fold 2 and the ultra previously.

Also greatest wireless buds of all time = galaxy buds+, quick convenient 11 hours of battery, great bass and sound. Anybody try them vs the AirPod pros? I can’t imagine a better set than the galaxy buds + for their size.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #275 of 5,629
I think some of the headphone manufacturers should be a bit worried
Let’s not get carried away here. Sennheiser with their Momentum 3s, B&O, Bowers with the PX7, should they start getting worried? Absolutely. Should the Focals and the Audezes of the world start looking behind their shoulder? Probably not, unless they want to move into the wireless ANC space.

Even then, you only stand to reap all the benefits of the APM if you’re an Apple user. Without Apple hardware you won’t get device switching or spatial audio, it’s a lot harder to justify its cost then.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #276 of 5,629
I think the ANC market is watching these closely. based on the impressive sales it appears that the market is interested in higher end ANC. I wonder if we will see a WH-2000XM4? in the near future or perhaps some collaborations. We could also see the development of some interesting 3 party apps in the Android space for a competitor offering.

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #277 of 5,629
Josh'

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #278 of 5,629
What a ridiculous hobby we have. Why am I watching videos about a product the makers of those videos haven't auditioned yet? And why are those youtubers posting those videos in the 1st place? (Why am I posting in this thread.....why is the sky blue....why do we exist?)

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #281 of 5,629
What a ridiculous hobby we have. Why am I watching videos about a product the makers of those videos haven't auditioned yet? And why are those youtubers posting those videos in the 1st place? (Why am I posting in this thread.....why is the sky blue....why do we exist?)

Yea at this point I'm looking for people who have it in-hand.

Gizmodo AU posted a review - https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/12/apple-airpods-max-review-australia/

A few inaccuracies/missing info but overall a good read.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #282 of 5,629
The most-hyped headphone in recent memory thoroughly deserves a proper auditioning session. I'm just waiting for them to arrive in stores; I might have to fight with hordes of interested parties to get some proper head time with them, though!

For wireless ANC cans, they sure generate a lot of buzz. Apple has the money and the technical know-how to create a top-notch headphone. I'm no Apple fan - I only have an iPad Pro from 4 years ago - however, I recognize a potential hit in the AirPods Max.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #283 of 5,629
Well they know that it will bring more views and new subscriber

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #284 of 5,629
A german youtuber got his hands on it and was pretty amazed. He says they have much more clarity than the sony xm3 (not that difficult) and have a better more immersive soundstage. He also prefers the max to his ultrasone edition (not sure which one). Oh yeah he is not really a headphone person so ymmv. Still interesting to hear some first comments. I think he was mostly impressed by the soundstage and imaging capabilities.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #285 of 5,629
After sleeping on it for a day, I think where the Airpods Max might work for me is as a home theatre headset given spatial audio. I have been in the market for surround sound headphones and I looked at the JVC personal surround sound system at last year's CES. I thought it was a cool idea. Today, my streaming services are completely separate from my audiophile listening. This product could extend and bring them together and the price point isn't bad for that use case. It would also get me interested in Apple TV when today all of my needs are fully met by Roku.

If it's just for listening to music, I'd probably consider an Ananda BT over the Airpods Max. I use my Airpod Pros for phone calls. I don't need these headphones for that use case. Noise cancellation is only interesting on an airplane and I have that use case covered in several other ways. I don't need that especially at the price point offered.
You may already know this by now, but unfortunately spatial audio doesn't work on the Apple TV 4K; only with a recent-ish iPhone or iPad. This disappointed me too, but hardware support for spatial audio is required on the viewing side as well as the listening side. It will be interesting to see if the rumoured next-generation Apple TV will add this somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back