AirPods Max
Dec 12, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #241 of 5,629
Yeah I ordered them less than 2 hours after launch and already a week delay so dec 21th for me
Ok, so it seems the delay has a timeline depending on how soon you ordered. I didn't think it was released as early as the 21, but it does make sense for an holiday gift. If they wanted to fit in for greater profit for the holidays from gift shoppers, they would have released earlier, but there must have been some delay to launch.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #244 of 5,629
And yes 200 dollars is ridiculous, but it's Apple, so to be expected... they did a 300 dollar iPad keyboard case afterall.

200,- was a guess only, nothing is announced. Ballpark may fit though, given the prices for the iPhone cases...

A nice leather case from a third party supplier would be the thing for me...

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #245 of 5,629
200,- was a guess only, nothing is announced. Ballpark may fit though, given the prices for the iPhone cases...

A nice leather case from a third party supplier would be the thing for me...

Im sure within 3 months the market will be flooded with options for all sorts of cases of varying spec and price.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #246 of 5,629
Dec 12, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #247 of 5,629
Can these headphones be used with a cable? The idea of spending 550 USD on pair of headphones is rather ridiculous when they cannot be used when the battery is empty and will end up in the trash bin when the battery died.

Edit: yes you can use a cable but it is not included.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #248 of 5,629
Can these headphones be used with a cable? The idea of spending 550 USD on pair of headphones is rather ridiculous when they cannot be used when the battery is empty and will end up in the trash bin when the battery died.

You can use them with cable indeed, but I guess not in fully passive mode...
Battery change is offered for $79 / 89€ I think, so its not immediately garbage at least.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #249 of 5,629
Ok, so it seems the delay has a timeline depending on how soon you ordered. I didn't think it was released as early as the 21, but it does make sense for an holiday gift. If they wanted to fit in for greater profit for the holidays from gift shoppers, they would have released earlier, but there must have been some delay to launch.

Yeah the first orders are served on dec 15th at launch date

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #250 of 5,629
Well I am only interested if they truly sound like a 550 USD pair of headphones which they very likely will not. Firstly you pay an extra for the convenience of bluetooth, ANC and those chips and software that is implemented. Then you pay an extra for the luxurious built and materials used. And finally a premium cost goes to the brand name.
With that said, If they sound as good as the Sundaras or Fidelio X3s the price would be fair I guess, with all the extra features they provide.
Since I don't need bluetooth, ANC and fancy software, count me out.

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #251 of 5,629

Yes, but since Lightning is a digital connector, won't this mean that the 3.5mm to Lightning cable includes an ADC? Hence, the analog signal from your device (DAP, table, etc.) is converted into a digital signal by the ADC cum cable, and this is then converted back to analog by the DAC in the AirPods Max themselves?

At least, that's what it appears to be. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #252 of 5,629
Sony XM series can output sound with an aux cable without it powered on, but it sounds like aszz. ANC headphones generally seem to have EQ applied when powered on, and they generally sound better over passive or no power. Not sure if Max (yes, I just gave it a name) will be the same. Work with powered on or off with a aux cable?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #253 of 5,629
At only has wireless non ANC right now their DSR series is good, but again, no ANC, Beyerdynamic's Lagoon is still first attempt, good first jump indeed I think they're trying to have an image change with their recent releases, AKG is too busy helping Samsung tune their headphone to update their still micro USB nc700, I did include sennheiser as the brand I'm looking forward to see what they have cooking up.
really tho, if any of these offerings is good they will sell well already, but they just don't get to be more than "good first attempt at modern wireless anc".

AKG N700NCM2 uses USB-C, not micro USB.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #254 of 5,629
If anyone’s interested in buying a silver pair of APM, Best Buy has them in stock for next week delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back