AirPods Max
Dec 12, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #258 of 5,629
I will be testing these on my local Apple store as soon as. I've been super happy with my Sony XM3s for sound and battery life but have not been as happy about their build quality (my pair ended up with a creaky left earpiece after only a couple of months of use and eventually almost broke off completely). I bet these are built WAY sturdier and sound very very close to my Sonys (receiving AAC BT from the iPhone), if not better.

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #259 of 5,629
Try listen to a brief demo sound of APP and APM here, 4:40:
youtube.com/watch?v=79U2PA-9goI&t=42s

Same website, forward to 5:15, comparation few seconds between APM vs Bose 700.

This one sure makes the AirPods Max sound way better compared to the Bose NC 700. But the whole setup makes for a bad comparison. Placing each headphone on a pair of microphones trying to record their difference while we are listening on completely different gear while trying to tell the differences is just poor design.

I do understand why they are doing it. It's pretty much the best they can do in terms of trying to provide a way for us to hear the differences. But it's obviously not able to provide us with anything solid. We have no idea on what's being lost during the recording, during encoding, during the upload to YouTube, during our playback from YouTube, during our playback on different equipment entirely etc.

But it gives us some idea of what to expect I suppose. It gives the impression of the AirPods Max having a much wider soundstage and better audio seperation when compared to the Bose NC 700. And I already find the Bose NC 700 to be better when compared to the Sony WH-1000XM3 and XM4 when it comes to soundstage and separation to begin with.

I find it strange that these parts didn't last for longer? Especially the ANC portion comparing the AirPods Max and the Bose NC 700 ended so quickly making it really hard to do any meaningful comparisons. Why did they end them so quick? Seems strange to me as it shouldn't be hard for them to have it going for way longer without having to put in any kind of effort.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #262 of 5,629
I realize this is headfi - and we all are used to "real" headphones which are high performers (hell I run Utopia's, Z1R's, and Stax 009S's). With that said I am surprised by all of the skepticism regarding this new Apple offering. I have demoed every single version of the Sony ANC cans, the Bose 35's and 700's, and I own the B&O H9i's. They all are AWFUL and sound atrocious - when compared to my other headphones.

I find it completely plausible that the Apple AirPods Max can easily equal or surpass the other ANC offerings on the market. The bar is not that high to surpass.
Yes - they are expensive. Your choice if you want to pay or not. My pair will be delivered on Tuesday and I am fully confident they will most likely outperform the low bar set by the current crop of Sony's and Bose offerings

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #263 of 5,629
I find it completely plausible that the Apple AirPods Max can easily equal or surpass the other ANC offerings on the market. The bar is not that high to surpass.
I think they will equal or surpass the competition too. I've heard the Bose and the Sony and sold both. They aren't for me. The struggle I have with the Max is price to value ratio. I can get a Mobius, Panda or, if I need ANC, a Shure for a lot less than the Max. I am confident those headphones will outperform the Max. As an Apple fan I am frustrated by Apples refusal to adopt LDAC or at least offer a high end codec. In fact, I won't go back to an iphone until they do. I understand that Apples implentation of AAC is considered very good but if I'm spending 550, I want the best. This would have been a great opportunity for Apple to introduce a wireless Hi Res option and show they are serious about audio. Missed opportunity to me. That said if the reviews here say they advance the bar for BT audio I don't mind paying 550.

Edit - not sure how I messed up the quote.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #264 of 5,629
IMO, while I like the Industrial Design, I'm not a fan of the case. Seems way too lightweight to protect and too complicated as a magnetically actuated on/off switch. Form over function, me thinks.

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #266 of 5,629
The stock carrying case is trash, there’s really no defending it. I thought B&O were lazy with their soft cases, but Apple has made some mystifying design choices here. Why are there slits along the bottom?

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #267 of 5,629
Of course, they bought Beats just for fun.

No idea about the Airpods, my wife has the Pros and is waiting for the Airpods 3 to come out since the Pros hurt in her ears.
I never tried them as I can't stand IEMs.

But nevertheless I am looking forward to hear peoples impressions.
But it seems like these will only work with Apple devices which is a bummer for gamers.
And the only thing I would use it with is an Apple TV.
Haha I can't stand over ears.

I thought people were crazy when they said they can't stand in ears, until I tried a normal pair of in ears out.

My V14 have GODDDDDDLike fit in my ears with Xelastec tips, it's 98% like a custom set. I tried even just my FA9 with regular tips (non mf and non Xelastec) even the best ones symbio spin fit etc can't hold a candle to Xelastec.

I agree, there's only a select few iems and tips that are bearable.

Dec 14, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #269 of 5,629
The stock case is not a case, just a cover to stop the aluminium from being scratched. Did everyone really think Apple would include a case free of charge 😀
If there are Scumbag Steve's out there who sell 2000 dollar copper cables, be rest assured Apple is punching the air right now that they didn't get in this cesspool we know as the "high end" audio market.

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #270 of 5,629

I thought it's a 2021 release, 2020 preorder... so it's coming way sooner than expected? 3-5 days for DMS, at least we got someone with actual experience to have some hands on with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back