AirPods Max
Dec 14, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #286 of 5,629
You may already know this by now, but unfortunately spatial audio doesn't work on the Apple TV 4K; only with a recent-ish iPhone or iPad. This disappointed me too, but hardware support for spatial audio is required on the viewing side as well as the listening side. It will be interesting to see if the rumoured next-generation Apple TV will add this somehow.
Well, that makes the feature less useful. Why would I need spatial audio on my iPhone or iPad? Its a good thing I don't own an AppleTV.

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #287 of 5,629
I prefer running outdoors with music/audiobooks, but when I do run on a treadmill (stupid cold) the spatial audio is great to have for TV shows. Since we haven't been traveling much this year I haven't been able to try it on public transportation at all, but I'm willing to guess it'd have a place there too. If the Max does it at as well as the Pro does, then I'll be happy to use it.

In a convenient coincidence, I was just talking with one of the guys here at the office earlier about spatial audio for the Apple TV. Not sure how they'd manage the zeroing for orientation. Maybe a calibration step similar to what Audeze did with the Mobius.

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #288 of 5,629
Well, that makes the feature less useful. Why would I need spatial audio on my iPhone or iPad? Its a good thing I don't own an AppleTV.

For me it’s useful whenever I’m watching movies on my iPad while traveling.

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #289 of 5,629
For me it’s useful whenever I’m watching movies on my iPad while traveling.
I'll have to try it, but I haven't had any problems with sound orientation while watching anything on my iPad and I travel a lot.

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #290 of 5,629
You may already know this by now, but unfortunately spatial audio doesn't work on the Apple TV 4K; only with a recent-ish iPhone or iPad. This disappointed me too, but hardware support for spatial audio is required on the viewing side as well as the listening side. It will be interesting to see if the rumoured next-generation Apple TV will add this somehow.
You’re right that Apple TV 4K doesn’t support spatial audio but wrong about the devices supported. Spatial audio is supported on devices as old as the iPhone 7, or more to the point the A10 chip.
Apple TV 4K uses the A10X fusion processor and Bluetooth Low Energy, so in theory it should be able to support spatial audio processing.

i think it‘s important to understand how spatial audio works and what it does in relation to Apple’s iDevices. Spatial audio on Apple iDevices is basically a head tracking system, using the accelerometers and gyroscopes in the transmitting and receiving devices.
This works with a ‘floating’ display where the optimal position of the transmitting device is in front of you such as an iPad or an iPhone. With Apple TV 4K the box could be anywhere and the screen is pretty much in a static position In front of you.

Dobly Atmos for headphones is very much a thing but requires a licence to use. Hopefully this is something at Apple will allow in the future, even if it’s through the purchasing of a licence via an app like on Windows and Xbox.

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #291 of 5,629
Apart from HW. I guess app should also support spatial audio, Right?
AFAIK only apple TV+, Disney support it at this point of time.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #294 of 5,629
Yes, Apple TV and Disney + are spatial audio supported apps. Hulu is also supported is available in your region.
I don’t know what the road map is for support on other apps.
Does it matter which hardware the Max is connected to? Can you use Apple TV and Disney+ on firestick with Max? Or must it be on Apple TV hardware? Personally, don't like Apple TV due to price. Nothing special about it compared to other streaming devices.

I heard it's released tomorrow. Does that mean people will get the package tomorrow? Will it be available for demo at the Apple store?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #295 of 5,629
Dec 14, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #297 of 5,629
Does it matter which hardware the Max is connected to?
They should work with any Bluetooth device for "regular" audio, but in order to get Spatial Audio you need the right streaming/local app (Netflix/HBO Max/Apple TV/Plex/etc) and an iOS device A10 and later (as mentioned above) and content with Dolby 5.1 and up.

I heard it's released tomorrow. Does that mean people will get the package tomorrow? Will it be available for demo at the Apple store?

Yes, orders will arrive tomorrow. Not sure on demos - would call ahead.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #299 of 5,629

Yeah, spatial audio is amazing, but only works on iPhone and iPad and not all contents either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back