AirPods Max
Dec 15, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #316 of 5,629
Hey everyone!
Not the most hi-fi related question, but still - which colour are you guys thinking would be better long-term: Silver or Space Grey?
My concern is that Space Grey would (more) visibly show the scuffs and scratches on the metal. But then there is the argument that Silver has a white fabric band that will inevitably be harder to maintain...
What are your thoughts? 😃

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #317 of 5,629
Hey everyone!
Not the most hi-fi related question, but still - which colour are you guys thinking would be better long-term: Silver or Space Grey?
My concern is that Space Grey would (more) visibly show the scuffs and scratches on the metal. But then there is the argument that Silver has a white fabric band that will inevitably be harder to maintain...
What are your thoughts? 😃

That sky blue might be the best combination of fairly dark headband colour and not quite noticeable scuffs on the aluminium cups :D. Only the earpads are a little brighter than I'd like to avoid stains - but at least the inner part of the ear pad is fairly dark and they're replaceable.
Inasmuch as I like Apple's dedication to white I'd never ever buy them in "silver".

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #318 of 5,629
Woah!!!!! You're the admin! 😳😳😳😳😳 I'm sorry for the double post but is there a setting some where to see spatial audio?
Haha, I'm an admin, though I certainly wouldn't say the admin. The only setting I've noticed for Spatial Audio is in Bluetooth settings as an option for AirPods Pro, and presumably the same for AirPods Max. Beyond that, everything is up to the individual app to output proper surround audio for iOS to process spatially.
IMG_9801.PNG

If all goes well, I should be able to spend some time with a pair of AirPods Max today. I doubt I'll get an extended chance to listen, but I'll share any first impressions I get.

I spotted a "nearby" Apple Store (Cleveland, OH) has some Max in stock this morning, so if you guys have an Apple Store nearby see if they have pickup inventory. You might get lucky.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #319 of 5,629
Received my Max's a few hours ago and am enjoying them so far. I think they sound good - i'm retiscent to say how good as I don't have the experience most here have, so take a pinch of salt with all of the following.. I havn't ever had any super high end headphones before. My current headphones are Audeze Mobius, and the last quality wired headphones I had over a decade ago was some HD650's. It's been way too long since i've heard them, so I don't really want to compare them. I havn't had chance to A/B them against the Mobius yet either. But I think they sound good, they sound nice and clear and have good bass - the treble has been slightly sibilant in one or two tracks, so i'm hoping that calms down or I get used to it in time. In fact, I think the bass has the potential to be kind of ridiculous (in a good way). I was watching Greyhound on AppleTV+ to test the spatial audio (it's fantastic!), and my god, there is a scene about 17 minutes in where the the boat hitting the waves generated such strong bass it shook my head, and I could feel the earpads vibrate against my neck, this was at about 85% max volume. It was very impressive. Again I have not really ventured into the high end headphone world like many have here, so I can't really say how normal that is or how much other headphones can create such strong bass. No doubt some do it much better than these. But regardless, it was good enough to impress me. Spent a few minutes with them at max volume too, and the marketing seems accurate, there was no obvious distortion to my ears. Just very clear and very loud.

That's not to say I found the bass muddy or boomy, quite the opposite. It just seems capable of delivering it in large amounts where it is required during films and such. Oh - and I literally just remembered while typing this - I did actually have some Audio Technica AD700's for many years. Not sure how I forgot that. But they definitely have more bass than those headphones, but then they are well known to be bass shy. The soundstage seems pretty good for them being closed back. I've had no issues of discomfort over the past 90 minutes too, whereas my Audeze Mobius always gave me a hotspot where the headband contacted my head.

The ANC works very well, and the transparency mode is just uncanny. It's so clear and realistic, but every so slightly amplified louder than reality - 5% or so, which is a nice thing in my books. Whatever microphones they are using for the transparency mode, they are clearly pretty accurate.

I need to do more testing but so far so good. I'm sure you can get better sounding headphones for less than these at $549, but if you are in the Apple ecosystem, appreciate the build quality, ANC performance and so on, then I think you will be happy with them.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #320 of 5,629
In the photo B&O H95 (€800, $800, £700) and Apple AirPods Max (€629, $549, £549).

The people that don't know me must knowing I owning more than 30 (anc) wireless headphones in the past, including all more expensive models (qc35, qc35II, nc700, mw65, h9, h9i, h9 3g, xm3, xm4, p7 wireless, px, px7, dali-o6, aonic 50, sennheiser m3, etc.) I owning hd800 and hd600 too. My favourite (anc) wireless is definitely the h95 for the sound and other aspects. I owning still xm3 and p7 wireless (xm3 only for excellent anc because I don't liking the factory sound (very similar, by the way, to xm4) and I must using eq always).

I using iPhone 12 Pro and MacBook Pro 16-inch.

After 10 minutes of h95 and apm comparison:

H95 feeling more premium in construction.

H95 is definitely more neutral. APM having definitely more midbass.

H95_APM.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #321 of 5,629
Thank you for the first(!) direct comparison between AirPod Max and H95, Angelom.

Would you be able to provide additional details and impressions once you have more time to spend with them, comparing them to H95 of course.

Some specific quick questions:
-how is the ‘sound leakage’? H95, to my ears, have near zero leakage and I am able to listen to loud volumes without bothering my spouse who sits next to me for example.

-are you noticing the effects (benefits) of adaptive EQ that the AirPod Max has...and again, how do the headphones sound compared to H95?

-how is AirPod Max’s “noise floor”, does it have any “bluetooth noise” or “mosquito buzzing”?

-how would you compare the ANC between them? Which headphone has the more noticeable “hissing” noise?

My favourite (anc) wireless is definitely the h95 for the sound and other aspects.

Let us know if that changes 😜

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #322 of 5,629
For the people that knowing the excellent p7 wireless, the apm is similar in sound quality, the p7w having little more midbass still BUT the p7w is having better treble. Someone saying before in this thread that treble reproduction in headhones is easy. I think, in fact, is the most difficult frequency getting correct in headphones.

Other things I want mentioning:
1) Is annoying removing the headphones because almost always I touching the volume dial and/or anc/ambient button and activating things I don't wanting.
2) When pressing one or two times or three (play/pause, next/previous track) I often changing the volume without I wanting because is the same button! I'm very, very sensitive in volume changes so this is a big bad surprise for me.
3) The volume dial, only I speaking for volume feature, is great because you having very minimal steps possible. This is very important for me. Is a pity this is changing sometimes (more often than sometimes) when I want using play/pause or next/previous track features.

-how is the ‘sound leakage’? H95, to my ears, have near zero leakage and I am able to listen to loud volumes without bothering my spouse who sits next to me for example.

H95 is having less sound leakage. This is clearly audible.

-are you noticing the effects (benefits) of adaptive EQ that the AirPod Max has..

Not yet.

-how would you compare the ANC between them?

ANC is excellent in the amp, maybe the best I hearing in all headphones, including h95. I must comparing with my xm3 (the only reason I owing this headphone is for best anc)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #323 of 5,629
Getting mine thursday, exciting to compare to my WF1000 XM3

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #325 of 5,629
Got mine today. Not even the same class as the Sony offerings, it's much, much better in every single way. Sound is great, feels on par to my ears to 'audiophile' wired headphones in or above the price point. More to come.
How are yall getting yours today? I thought people's order were delayed from late purchase? Did you guys just place an order as soon as it was announced? Are they available for pick-up in any places today?

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #328 of 5,629
All I want in life is my P7 Wireless sound without the skull-torturing headband, plus AirPods Pro ease-of-pairing. If the Apple cans fit the bill I am totally in (after a year or two when the price comes down). :smiley:

Well in 2020 I'm a little more demanding than that :D. I found it flabbergasting how mostly rubbish and poorly engineered or designed most of the current crop of 2020 ANC BT over-ears headphones were in comparison to the P7W, honestly in many regards it should be a walk in the park for Apple to do better.
One area for example where I'm expecting nothing less than way better than the P7W or most other ANC BT headphones is electronics noise floor / hiss / etc. in general. The APP are pretty great in that regard and I'd be disappointed if the APM is any worse.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #329 of 5,629
If there are Scumbag Steve's out there who sell 2000 dollar copper cables, be rest assured Apple is punching the air right now that they didn't get in this cesspool we know as the "high end" audio market.

Honestly I wish Apple would develop an A/V receiver, something ultra-simple, that "just works," with Apple TV built-in and a minimum of useless other features. I hate the current market of not enough (soundbar systems) and too much (almost any A/V receiver sold today).

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #330 of 5,629

Users who are viewing this thread

Back