AirPods Max
Jun 27, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #5,326 of 5,629
Expect the next Max to be even more Apple centric. It'll take seamless to a whole new level. Unfortunately Android users should look elsewhere, as a large percentage of functions just won't apply.
Apple doesn't care, their installed base is massive, and dedicated to Apple...

Jun 27, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #5,327 of 5,629
LOL..what kind of car and speaker option?
This may cause some level of surprise, but it’s a BMW i3 which had its sound system developed by Harmon Kardon.

They updated the audio components for the 2018+ LCI models, and I must say it’s potentially even better than the branded Harmon Kardon premium option. I hadn’t realized that two mid-range speakers could create such an expansive and separated sound system. Then the bass drivers can be adjusted to preference without negatively affecting the frequency response. I was expecting to be incredibly disappointed by the base audio system, so my expectations were dramatically exceeded. I can’t emphasize enough how natural and detailed the default treble tuning is.

My mind is blown that two exceptionally-phased, naturally-tuned speakers may be even better than multiple speakers throughout a vehicle—for front passengers at least.

A vehicle’s cabin has grown to be my preferred place to listen to music, as a good sound system can be like an expertly-crafted speaker system that’s specifically been designed for the environment and acoustics despite road noise. Also the bass boost EQ on a good system should be customizable to preference without becoming muddy.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #5,328 of 5,629
This may cause some level of surprise, but it’s a BMW i3 which had its sound system developed by Harmon Kardon.

They updated the audio components for the 2018+ LCI models, and I must say it’s potentially even better than the branded Harmon Kardon premium option. I hadn’t realized that two mid-range speakers could create such an expansive and separated sound system. Then the bass drivers can be adjusted to preference without negatively affecting the frequency response. I was expecting to be incredibly disappointed by the base audio system, so my expectations were dramatically exceeded. I can’t emphasize enough how natural and detailed the default treble tuning is.

My mind is blown that two exceptionally-phased, naturally-tuned speakers may be even better than multiple speakers throughout a vehicle—for front passengers at least.

A vehicle’s cabin has grown to be my preferred place to listen to music, as a good sound system can be like an expertly-crafted speaker system that’s specifically been designed for the environment and acoustics despite road noise. Also the bass boost EQ on a good system should be customizable to preference without becoming muddy.
I have the 16 speaker version of that system - we must hear differently.

Jun 27, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #5,329 of 5,629
I have the 16 speaker version of that system - we must hear differently.
What a funny coincidence.

I admittedly loved the premium Harmon Kardon system when I had it on my previous i3. I also got caught up in the marketing hype of having the audio spectrum broken up by separate bass drivers, mid-range speakers, and tweeters.

I do feel that it requires a good bit of EQ. I used to use +10 bass and +3 treble after initially settling on +5/+1.

Now I use between +5dB bass and +10dB bass on the base system after hours of deliberation. Like a quality pair of headphones it’s better not to touch the treble on the 4-speaker system.

Incredibly the sound team knocked it out of the park with the base sound system refresh on the 2018+ models, since it might be even better than the 12-speaker Harmon Kardon system which was incorrectly advertised on BMW’s site as having 16 speakers for years.

I’m finding the four-speaker system to be surprisingly perfect, besides limiting the bass at higher sound levels at times. The default mid-range/treble response is done shockingly well, and the bass drivers are extremely capable.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #5,330 of 5,629
What a funny coincidence.

I admittedly loved the premium Harmon Kardon system when I had it on my previous i3. I also got caught up in the marketing hype of having the audio spectrum broken up by separate bass drivers, mid-range speakers, and tweeters.

I do feel that it requires a good bit of EQ. I used to use +10 bass and +3 treble after initially settling on +5/+1.

Now I use between +5dB bass and +10dB bass on the base system after hours of deliberation. Like a quality pair of headphones it’s better not to touch the treble on the 4-speaker system.

Incredibly the sound team knocked it out of the park with the base sound system refresh on the 2018+ models, since it might be even better than the 12-speaker Harmon Kardon system which was incorrectly advertised on BMW’s site as having 16 speakers for years.

I’m finding the four-speaker system to be surprisingly perfect, besides limiting the bass at higher sound levels at times. The default mid-range/treble response is done shockingly well, and the bass drivers are extremely capable.
I guess less is more when it comes to the number of speakers :k701smile:

I hate my car audio - I also hate the B&W version as well. I let that hatred flow through me every time I drive. :smile:

Jun 27, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #5,331 of 5,629
I guess less is more when it comes to the number of speakers :k701smile:

I hate my car audio - I also hate the B&W version as well. I let that hatred flow through me every time I drive. :smile:
Have you tried EQ’ing to your preference?

This was one of my favorite infographics of all-time since I love the idea of having bass speakers under the seats along with five mid-range speakers throughout and five tweeters. Most automotive sound systems do this these days. It’s out-of-date so the images no longer load although I probably have it saved somewhere:

https://www.harmankardon.com/bmw-i3.html

This system worked well with AAC files. SiriusXM sounded very compressed, and even lossless files oddly work better on my newer i3 via CarPlay than they did via USB connection. SiriusXM also sounds fine on the four-speaker system. Thankfully it responds as well to lossless as it does to compressed music. SiriusXM has its own onboard bass boost on a lot of newer vehicles.

Funnily I figured I’d be disappointed with the four-speaker sound system, whereas I apparently love it as long as the treble EQ is left alone. Even the flat response can be shockingly detailed, even if it’s lacking bass.

I’d like to compare the HK, which apparently stayed the same throughout the years, to the newer base system. It’s difficult to go off of memory when it comes to sound.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #5,333 of 5,629
Isn’t that already going a bit far OT?
To be fair, at one point the BMW i3 was destined to become the Apple Car.

Maybe it can open up a larger conversation about what the audio system could sound like in an Apple Car. Or really just that we need wireless lossless capability. Even still, what are the odds that we’re both discussing two versions of the same sound system?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #5,334 of 5,629
To be fair, at one point the BMW i3 was destined to become the Apple Car.

Maybe it can open up a larger conversation about what the audio system could sound like in an Apple Car. Or really just that we need wireless lossless capability. Even still, what are the odds that we’re both discussing two versions of the same sound system?
I have to admit that personally I’m not interested in car audio even the slightest bit, so that may taint my comments :wink:

Yes, it’s quite a coincidence that you two own variants of the same car audio system — given the myriad (I guess) number of options
available.

I am interested in talking about Apple audio options in general though, esp. including the original HomePod. Might be worth it to open a separate thread since it looks like there are new thing in the making (like the rumors of a revival of the bigger HomePod).

Btw I doubt that if the i3 would have been the Apple Car, Harman would have made the sound system :wink:

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #5,335 of 5,629
After the release of the airpods max, many including myself noted a bit of a lower treble bump. I thought it sounded better with processing off (noise cancellation and transparency set to off), but recently I can’t hear it at all. I go long periods listening on other devices so I don’t think I’ve just got used to it (also I could never get used to that!).

does anyone suspect apple has fixed/changed something in their processing? Or do you still hear it?

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #5,336 of 5,629
I do have to admit Apple has one large, probably overlooked advantage over other competitors: headphone audio levels built into iOS.

This will attempt to estimate decibel levels for any headphone, although it’s only going to be accurate for Apple and Beats headphones.

It’s one reason that a next-generation AirPods Max would be my first choice once I need new wireless headphones, even if I love multiple consumer brands that I would consider including Audeze and Sennheiser. Knowing the decibel level of my audio has caused me to lower the volume a few clicks, and appreciate it more without getting fatigue or hearing loss concerns. Apple just has the best complete package on the market.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #5,337 of 5,629

Better than Harman Kardon?

Jun 28, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #5,338 of 5,629
After a couple weeks I am still really enjoying these. A little EQ and they are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back