AirPods Max
Jun 24, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #5,312 of 5,629
Jun 24, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #5,313 of 5,629
All the better then, especially if its part of the Bluetooth standard and might therefore see wide support.
Let’s not get too excited about LC3. It tops out at 345kbps. It is however good news that a higher-bitrate codec will be supported by default on all new Bluetooth headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #5,315 of 5,629
Meaning current headphones won’t be able to use this? It’s a separate chip?

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #5,316 of 5,629
Meaning current headphones won’t be able to use this? It’s a separate chip?
There are 2 H1 Chips in there... maybe if they could double that bandwidth...

What is confirmed is that you'll need a new phone that outputs that new bandwidth~

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #5,317 of 5,629
Let’s not get too excited about LC3. It tops out at 345kbps. It is however good news that a higher-bitrate codec will be supported by default on all new Bluetooth headphones.
I‘m very happy with AAC, so this is not about me… but having a better codec that is part of the standard is a good thing. And I’d say 345kbps is sufficient for good audio quality given that AAC offers 256kbps. I don’t think this can be adequately described by these numbers though: as the problem with AAC on many Android phones shows, it’s also about execution.

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #5,318 of 5,629
We should not directly connect bitrate with quality when measuring across different codecs unless we also measure efficiency and understand the type of codec algorithms being used.

LC3 is a modern, efficient codec, not one from 25-30 years ago, that has been tested extensively to prove it can provide the same quality in much less bandwidth. One test comparing LDAC to LC3 showed that 990kbps for LDAC was equivalent to 256kbps for LC3… The best news is that for Bluetooth vendors it is mandatory and no extra cost for Bluetooth SIG Members.

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #5,319 of 5,629
We should not directly connect bitrate with quality when measuring across different codecs unless we also measure efficiency and understand the type of codec algorithms being used.

LC3 is a modern, efficient codec, not one from 25-30 years ago, that has been tested extensively to prove it can provide the same quality in much less bandwidth. One test comparing LDAC to LC3 showed that 990kbps for LDAC was equivalent to 256kbps for LC3… The best news is that for Bluetooth vendors it is mandatory and no extra cost for Bluetooth SIG Members.
This is indeed great news, especially since headphones like AirPods Max can automatically benefit from it.

Bluetooth quality is already getting eerily good. While I have extremely limited experience with AirPods Max, all of my other Apple/Beats headphones usually surprise me with their sound quality. I’ve sung the praises of the iOS Bluetooth AAC implementation.

Pairing bright ultra low-distortion drivers with a truly lossless codec will create wireless headphones that can one day rival high-end audiophile headphones.

I’m consistently floored by the 4-speaker audio system in my car paired with Apple Lossless in CarPlay. Speaking of, I hadn’t realized that dual mid-range speakers can create a lush soundstage with oddly incredible separation. It’s like a really amazing pair of headphones, with separate drivers for bass.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #5,320 of 5,629
My 600w 16 speaker car audio sounds like garbage with apple carplay. Actually I have never heard of any car audio that simply sounds normal across the board.

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #5,321 of 5,629
My 600w 16 speaker car audio sounds like garbage with apple carplay. Actually I have never heard of any car audio that simply sounds normal across the board.
Another reason I’m so surprised.

The frequency response is incredibly natural and detailed on my car’s CarPlay. I compared it to my best headphones and they almost rival each other in detail retrieval with Apple Lossless. This four-speaker system may be even better than the premium 12-speaker audio systems I’ve had, although I digress.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #5,322 of 5,629
Another reason I’m so surprised.

The frequency response is incredibly natural and detailed on my car’s CarPlay. I compared it to my best headphones and they almost rival each other in detail retrieval with Apple Lossless. This four-speaker system may be even better than the premium 12-speaker audio systems I’ve had, although I digress.
LOL..what kind of car and speaker option?

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #5,323 of 5,629
Hi guys

a bit off topic but nevertheless the audience here is most suited to answer.
Since the last IOS update my original Apple camera connection adapter with additional lightning charging port prevents detection of my DACs (in my case Holo Audio Spring 3 and T&A HA200). Charging is working though using the same adapter.
Tested on IPAD Pro 2017 (last model with lightning port) and latest iPhone 13 Pro).
Standard camera connection kits without charging port are working flawlessly
Anyone else encountering this?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #5,324 of 5,629
Hi guys

a bit off topic but nevertheless the audience here is most suited to answer.
Since the last IOS update my original Apple camera connection adapter with additional lightning charging port prevents detection of my DACs (in my case Holo Audio Spring 3 and T&A HA200). Charging is working though using the same adapter.
Tested on IPAD Pro 2017 (last model with lightning port) and latest iPhone 13 Pro).
Standard camera connection kits without charging port are working flawlessly
Anyone else encountering this?
No, seems to work from my iPhone 13 Pro Max to my Hugo via that USB3 CCK with charging port.

Jun 27, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #5,325 of 5,629
No, seems to work from my iPhone 13 Pro Max to my Hugo via that USB3 CCK with charging port.
guess my adapter is defect then, will ask for a replacement, thx!

Edit:
Seems one of my 2 adapters is defect and the remaining one is working with Holo Audio DAC but not T&A DAC.
So seems to be a DAC manufacturer specific compatibility issue

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back