AirPods Max
May 24, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #5,296 of 5,629
I would recommend Sennheiser HD600.
An upgrade in sound quality, separation and clarity with that “in your face” intimate presentation. As long as you don’t mind open-back headphones, that is.
And as long as you don't mind the quite lacking bass in direct comparison to the APM... Personally I also did not like the comfort (or lack thereof) of the HD600, not to speak about the optics. Thinking about it, all in all I prefer the APM by quite a margin, also soundwise...

May 24, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #5,297 of 5,629
I hope, you can help me with my search:

I'm looking for headphones or better in-ears which has the same sound signature of the AirPods Max and/or Pro. I really like how the voice is "in your face" compared to more "live-performance" sound of the Beyerdynamic T1 2. gen or Campfire Andromeda which I have. I mean, I know that the latter are technically better than the AirPods, but these are at the moment for me just more "funny".

In short: what would be a naturally, high-end upgrade of the AirPods Max and/or Pro? Is there something like that?
Max and Pro have different sound signatures.

For something similar to the Max, I would consider an Audeze. If you can find the Audeze LCD-GX at a good price, I say go for it.

May 25, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #5,298 of 5,629
I would recommend Sennheiser HD600.
An upgrade in sound quality, separation and clarity with that “in your face” intimate presentation. As long as you don’t mind open-back headphones, that is.

And as long as you don't mind the quite lacking bass in direct comparison to the APM... Personally I also did not like the comfort (or lack thereof) of the HD600, not to speak about the optics. Thinking about it, all in all I prefer the APM by quite a margin, also soundwise...

Max and Pro have different sound signatures.

For something similar to the Max, I would consider an Audeze. If you can find the Audeze LCD-GX at a good price, I say go for it.

Thank you very much for the reply.

In the meanwhile I bought the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro. I just say: I am in LOVE with this sound!! It is brighter, airer and crisper and so I like the sound signature much more than both the Beyerdynamic T1 2. gen and the AirPods Max. My subjective feeling is that the DT 1990 Pro is technically just better (clarity, separation, soundstage etc.) than the AirPods Max. The sound is even more "in your face" than the AirPods Max. I really, really like it!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #5,299 of 5,629
Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 19.42.39.png

Not a lot of details yet on the exact implementation (perhaps more to come during WWDC sessions), but will make use of the iPhone's TrueDepth camera.
It's probably an attempt at individualising the HRTF map used by Apple's renderer, but I don't think that it will be capable of fine-tuning the "basal" FR of Apple's headphones past 1kHz, so coupling issues may remain.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #5,300 of 5,629
I've been using the Airpods Max for over a week. I think they're indeed the best bluetooth closed back headphones one can get now sound quality wise and happy to compete with many "hifi" closed backs. I preferred the Max to the Focal Radiance for example as I though it was more correct sounding tonally and relaxed with better and wider soundstage, even though it didn't have the biting dynamics of the Focals understandably.

The Max sound even better when used with cable from my Chord Mojo 2. When using them via bluetooth from my macbook, they sound a little more processed and a little hazy, but it's a relatively small difference, from the Mojo they sound more natural and direct.

Anyway Apple have done us justice sound quality wise. They don't offend at all, are quite resolving with good imaging, there is no ringing or unwanted resonances, the tuning is very good - warmish neutral without any offending peaks and dips. They are kind of like my Sony IERM7 - gentle warmish and just correct tuning, ever so slightly U shaped but much more correct sounding than 90% of HPs out there hifi or not. There are obviously compromises in relation to it's internal dac and amplification due to space constraints, and bluetooth, but I feel Apple audio engineering really worked hard to fight these compromises with computational audio, physical design, and quality components.
I would have liked to see a new higher quality bluetooth codec from Apple WWDC for these, to push the quality even higher up, or maybe even a much more flexible DSP eq.

I find the clamping force a touch on the high side, perhaps I can stretch them out over time. Something like the Shure 1540 is more comfortable, like a pillow hugging your ears, but the Max are still quite comfortable.

I won't talk about their silly bra case which doesn't protect anything, nor their not so portable design as it doesn't bother me too much when the sound quality is the major player here,

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #5,301 of 5,629
I've been using the Airpods Max for over a week. I think they're indeed the best bluetooth closed back headphones one can get now sound quality wise and happy to compete with many "hifi" closed backs. I preferred the Max to the Focal Radiance for example as I though it was more correct sounding tonally and relaxed with better and wider soundstage, even though it didn't have the biting dynamics of the Focals understandably.

The Max sound even better when used with cable from my Chord Mojo 2. When using them via bluetooth from my macbook, they sound a little more processed and a little hazy, but it's a relatively small difference, from the Mojo they sound more natural and direct.

Anyway Apple have done us justice sound quality wise. They don't offend at all, are quite resolving with good imaging, there is no ringing or unwanted resonances, the tuning is very good - warmish neutral without any offending peaks and dips. They are kind of like my Sony IERM7 - gentle warmish and just correct tuning, ever so slightly U shaped but much more correct sounding than 90% of HPs out there hifi or not. There are obviously compromises in relation to it's internal dac and amplification due to space constraints, and bluetooth, but I feel Apple audio engineering really worked hard to fight these compromises with computational audio, physical design, and quality components.
I would have liked to see a new higher quality bluetooth codec from Apple WWDC for these, to push the quality even higher up, or maybe even a much more flexible DSP eq.

I find the clamping force a touch on the high side, perhaps I can stretch them out over time. Something like the Shure 1540 is more comfortable, like a pillow hugging your ears, but the Max are still quite comfortable.

I won't talk about their silly bra case which doesn't protect anything, nor their not so portable design as it doesn't bother me too much when the sound quality is the major player here,

Nice summary which reflects my feelings as well, especially vs any current Focal model: those are all too aggressive for my taste.

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #5,302 of 5,629
My Fiancé and I each got an AirPods Max today. She likes hers, no doubt as she’s not really an audio enthusiast. I’m liking them with Headphone Accommodations on with “balanced tone” and set to “slight”. The stupid bra “case” is going to annoy me though and force me to buy a stand like this one.

Actually this sounds better than “balanced tone”:
451CF0FC-360E-46B5-B85F-31DDA5CA0384.jpeg

Doing this on Apple Music on MacOS sounds the same as well.
AB32FA1E-DCB4-4CC3-AD43-236556DD6088.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #5,303 of 5,629
I’ve been listening to music on these for a few hours each day since I got them last Sunday. I am really enjoying them. With a little EQ they are actually quite impressive.

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #5,304 of 5,629
Apple should engineer a second-generation with planar magnetic drivers once they add native Lossless support. The average listener would be floored.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #5,305 of 5,629
Apple should engineer a second-generation with planar magnetic drivers once they add native Lossless support. The average listener would be floored.
That's wishful thinking. Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely as Apple devices continue to only support SBC and AAC for Bluetooth codecs (and Apple's implementation of its AAC bluetooth codec is restricted to 16/44.1 maximum), and that Apple headphones will continue to convert audio digitally at headphone level (choke*digital-to-analog-and back-to-digital*choke) as long as they require battery power just to even work at all.

And this is all because Bluetooth itself simply cannot handle audio losslessly, and cannot do so for the foreseeable future. Thus, the only way for Apple headphones to have native lossless support would be to revert from wireless back to wired, and forego battery power and demand that Apple mobile devices restore the headphone jack (which Apple clearly does not want to do).

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #5,307 of 5,629
Yep, Apple clearly sees a wireless world.
However, with that R&D budget of theirs, you’ve probably seen nothing yet…
Yes, that weight behind an idea can definitely give interesting results. I do think that the APM is a very respectable headphone already, but I'm also quite interested what might happen next given those often cited comments from an Apple engineer about more bandwidth to the headphone.

Jun 23, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #5,308 of 5,629
That's wishful thinking. Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely as Apple devices continue to only support SBC and AAC for Bluetooth codecs (and Apple's implementation of its AAC bluetooth codec is restricted to 16/44.1 maximum), and that Apple headphones will continue to convert audio digitally at headphone level (choke*digital-to-analog-and back-to-digital*choke) as long as they require battery power just to even work at all.

And this is all because Bluetooth itself simply cannot handle audio losslessly, and cannot do so for the foreseeable future. Thus, the only way for Apple headphones to have native lossless support would be to revert from wireless back to wired, and forego battery power and demand that Apple mobile devices restore the headphone jack (which Apple clearly does not want to do).
Apple’s ambitions are to increase the wireless bandwidth for native Apple Lossless support, whether that’s accomplished via Bluetooth or a proprietary codec.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/12/30/apple-airpods-team-wants-more-bandwidth/

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #5,310 of 5,629

Users who are viewing this thread

Back