AirPods Max
Jan 12, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #5,087 of 5,629
I'm not getting much joy checking the internet with some of my questions and thought I'd ask here :-

1) can I connect my APM to multiple MacOS computers? e.g. my iMac Pro and to my MacBook Pro? I know I can connect to my iMac Pro & my iPhone, but what about multiple PC's?
2) I haven't seen any clear answers of Apple's Spatial Audio on MacOS. I have gotten it working with my iPhone, however on my iMac Pro Music Settings, I don't see any Audio Quality options there. I only have Video Quality options

Can anyone please point me to the right direction?

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #5,088 of 5,629
I'm not getting much joy checking the internet with some of my questions and thought I'd ask here :-

1) can I connect my APM to multiple MacOS computers? e.g. my iMac Pro and to my MacBook Pro? I know I can connect to my iMac Pro & my iPhone, but what about multiple PC's?
2) I haven't seen any clear answers of Apple's Spatial Audio on MacOS. I have gotten it working with my iPhone, however on my iMac Pro Music Settings, I don't see any Audio Quality options there. I only have Video Quality options

My expectation is that as long as your macs are all configured to use the same iCloud account, the APM should be available on all of them as soon as you configured it on one of your devices: the APM is bound to the iCloud account, not specific machines as far as I understand this.
I don’t use spatial audio (only for films on my iPad), so I can’t comment on that unfortunately.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #5,089 of 5,629
My expectation is that as long as your macs are all configured to use the same iCloud account, the APM should be available on all of them as soon as you configured it on one of your devices: the APM is bound to the iCloud account, not specific machines as far as I understand this.
I don’t use spatial audio (only for films on my iPad), so I can’t comment on that unfortunately.
Ah, iCloud bound :D. OK that's probably why I have a problem then. my iMac Pro is my personal, and the MacBook Pro is my firm's.

It's a firm's APM since we're working from home. "I need a pair of headphones for conference calls" :wink:.

Jan 12, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #5,090 of 5,629
Ah, iCloud bound :D. OK that's probably why I have a problem then. my iMac Pro is my personal, and the MacBook Pro is my firm's.

It's a firm's APM since we're working from home. "I need a pair of headphones for conference calls" :wink:.
That’s a good idea… I have to talk to my company :wink:

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #5,092 of 5,629
Only MB 2019 and later models support spatial audio on MacOS.
The office MBP is a 2021, however (silly me, I didn't understand before) I think it actually requires Apple Music subscription (which I don't have - I'm still old school in having iTunes, & ALAC in my Apple Music app).

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #5,095 of 5,629
At the recommendation of @justanut I tried running the APM through an external DAC with the lightning to 3.5 cord. They definitely benefited, but in comparison with the beyerdynamics 770dt pro 250 ohm I've been running from this unit, I could tell the APMs soundstage was a little closed, if that's the right term. I'd call it dynamic range except I know dynamics usually refers so something else. Everything was closer with less depth. Still, I don't like sitting at my desk to listen to music through headphones, so APM are still awesome for so many things including listening lying in bed or on the recliner. I'm currently in love with my DAC which is taking some of the magic away from APM but they're a long term, favourite possession. I hope they get retrofitted with lossless, and won't be upgrading just for that.

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #5,097 of 5,629

APM will be able to connect to all current and future devices tied to your iCloud account. When a device is removed from your iCloud account, it should not be able to connect any longer. It can only connect to one at a time, however.

Spatial audio requirements are listed here: https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT211775 There is a possibility that you'll need an M1 Mac for it to work. The settings are in the control center audio settings (they'll only appear if you have a headphone that supports it). However, with the Music app, it has it's own settings for Dolby Atmos with Apple Music.

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #5,098 of 5,629
APM will be able to connect to all current and future devices tied to your iCloud account. When a device is removed from your iCloud account, it should not be able to connect any longer. It can only connect to one at a time, however.
Only one sound source can obviously active at any given time, yes. But there’s that feature to automatically follow around depending upon where audio output is generated.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #5,099 of 5,629
a clicking noise in the left ear cup.

Is that a mechanical "click", coming from the structure or the headphones themselves, or a sound coming from the electronics ?

One of the reasons I got to own quite a few copies is that the pivot mechanism joigning the headband to the cups would develop more or less rapidly a problem whereby it would produce a "click" sound either when manipulating the springs, or when wearing it, often randomly.

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #5,100 of 5,629
Is that a mechanical "click", coming from the structure or the headphones themselves, or a sound coming from the electronics ?

One of the reasons I got to own quite a few copies is that the pivot mechanism joigning the headband to the cups would develop more or less rapidly a problem whereby it would produce a "click" sound either when manipulating the springs, or when wearing it, often randomly.
I assumed it was electrical but guess it could be a spring - it is quite loud with the headphone on - the click is followed by the loss of sound. Any movement on my head seems to cause it - very irritating. I am returning them to Amazon & will ask for a replacement. If the same thing happens again will give them a miss & wait for an updated version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back