AirPods Max
Dec 29, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,862 of 5,629
If you could get down voted here, this would give me super bad score, regardless, for the past 90 minutes I’ve been watching the below video on my Samsung Q9 QLED with the APM connected via SBC - and I’ve been in seventh heaven...

I’m quite surprised at how well this all goes together.

edit: fwiw I have YouTube Premium, so music goes via the YouTube Music app, so better bitrate

This was quite good sound, and obliterated my complaints about inadequate volume. Listened at about 70%. Wish I could get my owned tracks at that volume. Interesting how this video had some sound artifacts that sounded not unlike pops from playing records.

Listening to this video made me think about enjoying the sound versus the music. I once worked at a hifi store and thought about then in a lot of demos. Listening to sound is fun, but I prefer music I like even when recording is bad. After that job was over, I brought back my very nice sound system to my parent's house while I went to college. My mom is a musician and she thought it sounded OK. Yet she was able to geek out listening on a clock radio because her entire focus was on the performance and the sound was irrelevant.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,863 of 5,629
He believes AirPods Pro are more detailed and resolving than AirPods max. What you both headphones’ owners would think about that?

The APP have a bit more clarity to them and the details are easier to hear. This is mostly due to the signature of the upper midrange not being rolled off.

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,864 of 5,629
Hi everyone, just want to say thanks to everyone sharing about APM, be it positive or negative. Having a whole spectrum of different impressions without having people trying to interfere in other people's feelings is what makes the richness of a forum and Head-Fi is full of richness :)

I've been reading the whole thread since the start and I'm currently thinking about replacing my trusty PXC550's ! Not sure the price difference is totally worth it since I really like the Senn's but I can get the APM new for 459€ so the price is pretty interesting.

I had a few moments to hear APM at work and I find the sound pretty impressive so far. Especially on technical tracks like the Doom Eternal OST. But I'd need a few days at home to really get a good opinion on them.
Transparency Mode has a really "wow" factor too.

Anyway keep sharing and if anyone has or have had the PXC550 I'd be curious to read their thoughts.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #1,865 of 5,629
After wearing the APMs for hours, I‘ve felt no significant discomfort. Very ‘easy’ on my head.

I had my pair for only a few days but returned them. I really liked the always on/instant use feature. The volume control was excellent. The sound/signature was good/very good. I wanted to keep them. The ANC was very good and the transparent mode was excellent. However, I found them to be comfortable for about 10-15 minutes. After which time the clamp force became very uncomfortable (an insidious onset) combined with heat build-up. I am quite surprised very, very few listeners have complained about the discomfort. I don't have an unusually large (or small) head.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,866 of 5,629
After wearing the APMs for hours, I‘ve felt no significant discomfort. Very ‘easy’ on my head.

I’ve got a smaller head, so I’ve never really had much issue with clamping force. I can say that the clamping force is a little higher on these compared to other headphones I own. So I can see some people with larger heads having issues with the clamping force.

Edit: I should note it is possible to “stretch out” the headband by using a few books and putting the headphones around them. If you don’t want to compress the pads, take them off when doing this. I actually take back what I said about never having a pair of headphones‘ clamping force bother me. Despite my small head, there was a certain Brainwavz full-sized, close-back that gave me some issues to the point where I stretched out the headband with books to fix the issues. I think it was the HM5.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,867 of 5,629
Conclusion
That is where I am going to leave it, the H95s will be cleaned off and put in their case which will go in the cardboard box. My initial instinct regarding these headphones was right, and I should have heeded it back in September and returned them when I could. They have a mid-bass problem, and artificial overly metallic treble. What I am starting to notice in my listening is that they also have an overall metallic timbre, which really isn't to my taste.

I have and LOVE the H9i, and they also have that harsher, almost "metallic" treble sound out of the box- but using their app EQ to push the sound warmer (close to the middle between Energetic and Warm) works surprisingly well to fix the sound for me and put it in a place I really like a lot. I'm curious if that would help the sound on the H95 as well!

Thanks for your impressions!

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #1,868 of 5,629
I have and LOVE the H9i, and they also have that harsher, almost "metallic" treble sound out of the box- but using their app EQ to push the sound warmer (close to the middle between Energetic and Warm) works surprisingly well to fix the sound for me and put it in a place I really like a lot. I'm curious if that would help the sound on the H95 as well!

Thanks for your impressions!

I know your post is for Bompah but I think I can making some comments too.

I think the h9i sound isn't good at all, specially in the treble that is very peaky and is hurting my ears instantly. I buying the h9i with a big discount (half price) when the h9 3g (the next model) is coming out. I returning the h9i after 2 days and I paying almost double price for the (new) h9 3g (500€). The h9 3g is clear improvement in sound, and the recent h95 is improvement of the h9 3g.

My experience with the h9i is that even with the (bad) eq in the b&o app, you can improving the sound but never really making it sufficiently good, only less bad because the app is affecting other parts of the frequency range. With the h9 3g, in contrast, a little change in eq is making the h9 3g better. The majority of h95 owners will telling you very probably that eq isn't really necessary, or at least not using the not very good b&o eq in the app. I think the "metallic" aspect Bompah is mentioning several times in his posts isn't something you can changing or fixing with eq. This is the timbre, meaning how real or close the reproduction of instruments is with how we hearing this instruments in the real world (is the sound of a piano/guitar/drum/etc. in this headphone/speaker very similar with the sound in real life?).

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #1,869 of 5,629
I'm sure this is some kind of heresy to say...but...

I cannot tell the difference…at all..between Apple Music’s AAC, Tidal’s Hifi, and Tidal’s Master versions of any track I'm trying. This is on the HD 800 S with my wired Schiit setup.

I literally cannot tell the difference in noise floor, separation, anything on the frequency response, any instrument, nothing. Whether focusing on a single segment of track, or listening longer. I can't tell which one is better in any way. Can someone help me figure out what I'm supposed to hear different?

Then, I try APM and also can't hear a difference. Are all my opinions now invalid? haha

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,870 of 5,629

I cannot tell the difference…at all..between Apple Music’s AAC, Tidal’s Hifi, and Tidal’s Master versions of any track I'm trying. This is on the HD 800 S with my wired Schiit setup.

I literally cannot tell the difference in noise floor, separation, anything on the frequency response, any instrument, nothing. Whether focusing on a single segment of track, or listening longer. I can't tell which one is better in any way. Can someone help me figure out what I'm supposed to hear different?

Then, I try APM and also can't hear a difference. Are all my opinions now invalid? haha

No, most people wouldn’t be able to hear the difference between AAC and lossless in a blind test.

I did think I could hear a difference on Audeze’s headphones, although that may just be placebo.

I also felt Amazon Music HD via CarPlay sounded better in my car, but not enough to subscribe.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #1,871 of 5,629

No, but you wasted a helluva lot of money.

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,872 of 5,629
No, but you wasted a helluva lot of money.

Wait lol...I wasted money on HD 800 S because I can't tell the difference between AAC and Master tracks on tidal?

I didn't say I can't tell the difference between HD 800 S and APM! At most, I wasted money on Tidal, not the HD 800 S. (and I didn't even subscribe to Tidal; I'm still on the free trial)

EDIT: I absolutely adore the 800 S. They are masterpieces of tuning and driver technology to me. I love what they offer for music listening, particularly classical, electronic, and more. Can't tell you how much of a reference pair they are for me. I can very much appreciate the difference they offer over the APM.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,873 of 5,629

If you having human ears (probably this is true for you) and you listening to the same album master when comparing, even 192kbps in blind tests people can't hearing the difference. In audiophile forums is very common finding people exaggerating about (big) differences in high bit rates/lossless vs lossy and burn-in differences after 100s of hours.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #1,874 of 5,629
I don't watching the video yet but I will watching now after your post, but from my memory of the APP, yes, the frequency response is more correct (more linear) and is possible that in general is more resolving too than APM, but the scale of the more big sound of the APM will impressing people more and is more exciting, I'm 100% sure of this. I wish I having the APP still now for comparing directly!
why don’t you have the APP anymore? Did you not like them after all and gave them away?

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,875 of 5,629
why don’t you have the APP anymore? Did you not like them after all and gave them away?

I really liking the APP but for about 2-3 years I'm not comfortable with IEMs. And even when the APPs having shallow insertion (is better than deep insertion IEMs), this still isn't ok for me anymore. Initially I want keeping the APP and giving my AirPods (AP) to someone in my family, but I keeping the AP and selling the APP. This is why I saying before in this thread that I think the AP is a genius product by Apple (I use the AP every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times or more for different reasons, the only earphone/headphone that you really forgetting is in your ears. The lack of isolation is part of the reason I love the AP for my necessities).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back