AirPods Max
Dec 29, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,876 of 5,629
I have and LOVE the H9i, and they also have that harsher, almost "metallic" treble sound out of the box- but using their app EQ to push the sound warmer (close to the middle between Energetic and Warm) works surprisingly well to fix the sound for me and put it in a place I really like a lot. I'm curious if that would help the sound on the H95 as well!

Thanks for your impressions!

I‘ve never really liked B&O‘s EQ, as angelom writes, any changes to remove one offending part affects the rest of the frequency range and so it is always a case of replacing one issue with another.

The metallic timbre (again, as angelom points out) is unlikely to be curable with EQ, even a good one; and you’ll probably destroy any detail these types of headphones (i.e. closed back, ANC, Bluetooth) can dig up in trying to get rid of it. It might be possible to reduce it by moving it to warm, but I think you will negatively affect the overall sound, including the soundstage which is a relative strength.

But, if you like the effect their EQ has on the H9i, it is possible that you might find a similar adjustment gives a pleasing result on the H95. It has been far too long since I listened to the H9i to make any comparison or accurate statements regarding that headphone. Sorry I couldn’t provide more helpful information.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #1,877 of 5,629
If you having human ears (probably this is true for you) and you listening to the same album master when comparing, even 192kbps in blind tests people can't hearing the difference. In audiophile forums is very common finding people exaggerating about high bit rates/lossless and burn-in differences.
For me a decrease in quality gets more and more apparent with files lower than 160 kbps. But even 128 kbps still sounds pretty good to my ears. Spotify Premium and even most of Youtube music sound good enough to my ears. And yes, I made comparisons numerous times, I still own a big collection of CDs and SACDS, but - apart from difference in (re-)masters - I just can't hear much concernable differences between lossy and lossless. And if I do notice a difference it is a bit more aggressiveness in the highs with lossless files. Lower bitrate MP3s generally sound smoother on top. So poorly mastered music seems to benefit from a good dose of compression to sound smoother, just don't compress it too much, below 128 kbps it gets distorted.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #1,878 of 5,629
He believes AirPods Pro are more detailed and resolving than AirPods max. What you both headphones’ owners would think about that?

This goes back to what I was saying a few pages ago about how there can be differing opinions and there can be factually true/false statements.

This statement is factually false.

I love my AirPods Pro. I’ve owned them since launch and I’ve worn them virtually every single day since. It wouldn’t surprise me if I’ve put thousands of hours into them just since last year. I’ve used them far more than any other headphone.

But to say they offer more detail than the AirPods Max is just nuts.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #1,879 of 5,629
I really liking the APP but for about 2-3 years I'm not comfortable with IEMs. And even when the APPs having shallow insertion (is better than deep insertion IEMs), this still isn't ok for me anymore. Initially I want keeping the APP and giving my AirPods (AP) to someone in my family, but I keeping the AP and selling the APP. This is why I saying before in this thread that I think the AP is a genius product by Apple (I use the AP every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times or more for different reasons, the only earphone/headphone that you really forgetting is in your ears. The lack of isolation is part of the reason I love the AP for my necessities).
you are absolutely right about the AP, for me it was the same, but my major problem with them is their complete lack of bass. Because of that I could not enjoy music and I eventually sold them. The APP on the other hand are really comfortable for me because they do not go far inside the ear canal. But this fact results to another problem of easily slipping away and losing seal. I resolved this problem with azla xelastec tips from a Hong Kong company which are really a marvelous creation making the APP to actually stick outside the ear canal and not move at all even when walking around. But generally speaking all types of phones have their negative and positive points, no one is perfect for me, unfortunately. I prefer the sound of over ears but I can’t stand their heaviness, clamping force as well as heat especially during hot season in a hot country.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #1,880 of 5,629
This goes back to what I was saying a few pages ago about how there can be differing opinions and there can be factually true/false statements.

This statement is factually false.

Care to privde your evidence of this? If it's factually false, there will be evidence that shows this.
There has also been multiple people in this thread who have said the above comment is correct. The APP do resolve with greater detail than the APM. You are saying that they are also just plain wrong?

I gotta say, I am getting the impression that there is a lot of Apple bias in here. I'm here as it's a product that interests me, but for the price I won't to know what it's like. Some people in here are jumping up and down as soon as something not glowing is posted about the headphones. It makes it so hard to actually work out what they are like. I think some of the comments on here are fairly true and genuine, while others just blast anyone who says things that that are even somewhat negative. People's personal bias's for and against the company should be put aside and the product itself evaluated.
This jumping up and down as soon as something not glowing positive should stop.

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,881 of 5,629
Care to privde your evidence of this? If it's factually false, there will be evidence that shows this.
There has also been multiple people in this thread who have said the above comment is correct. The APP do resolve with greater detail than the APM. You are saying that they are also just plain wrong?

I missed the people saying that in this thread, but yes, anyone who says that is factually wrong. All you have to do is listen. The texture of kick drums. The airiness around vocals. The ability of hear subtle echoes from the recording studio. The layers of strings in a recording. The list goes on and on. You simply hear things with the APM that you don’t hear with the APP.

Even listening to podcasts, I was immediately struck by the fact that I can hear the host shuffling in his seat. Podcasts I’ve listened to for years are suddenly sounding strange to me because I’m hearing all sorts of subtle sounds that I had never heard before

I can understand some people preferring the sound signature of the APP, as they seem flatter and don’t have the raised sub bass or recessed mids that the APM have, but to say they offer better resolution or detail retrieval is just factually wrong. The APM have a significant advantage there.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,883 of 5,629
So all these other people are wrong, but you can't provide any evidence of such?
So, in actual fact, they aren't FACTUALLY wrong, but you believe they are SUBJECTIVELY wrong.

I’m not sure who you’re referring to, but yes, anyone who claims the APP is more resolving than the APM - is factually wrong. It’s not subjective. I’m sure if you compiled a large double blind study and asked people whether or not they could identify certain details within a recording, you’d get far greater identification with the APM than with the APP. But just because such a study hasn’t been conducted doesn’t mean it’s subjective. People throw around “opinion” or “subjective” or “preference” too much. Whether you like vanilla or chocolate is an opinion. Whether you prefer the sound signature of Sennheiser vs Hifiman is an opinion. Whether an Abyss AB-1266 is more resolving than a Skullcandy is NOT an opinion, but a matter of fact. That’s a more extreme example, but the same premise applies with APM vs APP.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #1,884 of 5,629
I’m not sure who you’re referring to, but yes, anyone who claims the APP is more resolving than the APM - is factually wrong. It’s not subjective.

So far, in this thread angelom and tinyman392 and the 'Max Settings' YouTube review have said that, through the different sound profiles or otherwise, the AirPods Pro sound more resolving of details. I think there has been other reviews that have said the AirPods Max don't have great resolution or resolving details as well, but I can't really be bothered digging up those reviews for you.
So where is the evidence of your claims? You can say it's wrong all you want, but for it be more than opinion it needs to be backed up by evidence. At best, at the moment it can be said that's it's disputed, but you can't possibly say flat out they are wrong. I mean, until evidence is provided they can also call you out as being wrong.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #1,885 of 5,629
I read some comments that a couple reviewers have said that the APM is “soulless”. That’s an absurd characterization. (I mean listen to this song tell me it’s soulless. Your ears would have to be broken to think so.) So much of this hobby is subjective but that’s as close to a wrong way to describe them as I can imagine. Calling them “inexpensive” would be more accurate than that. 😂

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #1,886 of 5,629
So far, in this thread angelom and tinyman392 and the 'Max Settings' YouTube review have said that, through the different sound profiles or otherwise, the AirPods Pro sound more resolving of details. I think there has been other reviews that have said the AirPods Max don't have great resolution or resolving details as well, but I can't really be bothered digging up those reviews for you.
So where is the evidence of your claims? You can say it's wrong all you want, but for it be more than opinion it needs to be backed up by evidence. At best, at the moment it can be said that's it's disputed, but you can't possibly say flat out they are wrong. I mean, until evidence is provided they can also call you out as being wrong.

My point was not that the APM have great resolution. I actually agree with the Crinacle rating, where he gave Tone a very good score but Technical an average score due to “average imaging and resolution”. If you compare the APM to other headphones in its price range or even some lower priced audiophile headphones, resolution/detail is not the APM’s strong suit. That’s not where it shines. Its strengths lie in other areas. But that’s not the question here. The question is not how the APM’s detail retrieval compares to a Hifiman or Focal; it’s how the APM’s detail retrieval compares to the APP. And it beats it handily.

I don’t know what anyone else’s views are and I’ll let them speak for themselves, but I can tell you unequivocally that the APM is a more detailed headphone. You’re simply able to hear a lot more than you can with the APP.

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #1,887 of 5,629
My point was not that the APM have great resolution. I actually agree with the Crinacle rating, where he gave Tone a very good score but Technical an average score due to “average imaging and resolution”. If you compare the APM to other headphones in its price range or even some lower priced audiophile headphones, resolution/detail is not the APM’s strong suit. That’s not where it shines. Its strengths lie in other areas. But that’s not the question here. The question is not how the APM’s detail retrieval compares to a Hifiman or Focal; it’s how the APM’s detail retrieval compares to the APP. And it beats it handily.

I don’t know what anyone else’s views are and I’ll let them speak for themselves, but I can tell you unequivocally that the APM is a more detailed headphone. You’re simply able to hear a lot more than you can with the APP.
All of this. I absolutely love my APP and you’d have to pry them out of my hands but, for my money, the APM is a far better music experience.

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #1,888 of 5,629
I'm sorry, I'm all for everyone having listening preferences and hearing differences. I'm the king preacher of sound is subjective and there's no right or wrong, but if you tell me with a straight face that the APP sound better than the APM, I will take NOTHING you say about any other headphone seriously. That's just a ridiculous claim in my opinion. I don't even use my APP for music unless it's as background noise because it's just not a great experience. I don't give a damn about any measurements or technicalities. The APM KILLS the APP in musicality, detail retrieval, dynamic range, fun, soul, and any other buzz word people choose to use in this thread.

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #1,889 of 5,629
I'm sorry, I'm all for everyone having listening preferences and hearing differences. I'm the king preacher of sound is subjective and there's no right or wrong, but if you tell me with a straight face that the APP sound better than the APM, I will take NOTHING you say about any other headphone seriously. That's just a ridiculous claim in my opinion. I don't even use my APP for music unless it's as background noise because it's just not a great experience. I don't give a damn about any measurements or technicalities. The APM KILLS the APP in musicality, detail retrieval, dynamic range, fun, soul, and any other buzz word people choose to use in this thread.
I use my APP for music, in my opinion it's surprisingly good on music. For it's price. And comfyness is superb. And user experience if you are in Apple ecosystem.
I haven't got my APM yet, but i do believe that APM is pretty much better than APP. At least it should be. :D

What comes to whining for APM price, now people have something to whine about!

airpods-max-limited-edition.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back