AH-D7000/ m-stage combo - "best" hi-fi solution for the buck?
Jan 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Fejglobal

New Head-Fier
Hi there, 

I am new to hi-fi (currently on AKG 272HD/ x-1050) and am thinking about an upgrade. Having spent quite some time reading different reviews it seems to me that the AH-D7000/ m-stage combo seems the "best" solution for the buck.

But before I jump into it wanted to consult you guys, if you have any other suggestions please let me know, would be very welcome

My needs:

Closed, very little leakage as mainly used in the office

Music: 50% electronic (ie essential mix), 30% music rock/ hard rock/ nu metal (ie Linkin Park, Seether), 10% Hip Hop/ R&B, 5% pop/other , 5% classic, crisp vocals are important

Driver: x-1050 so no need for DAC

Budget: c. 1,000 USD but could up 30% if it's really worth it

Am after: crisp, clear, detailed sound, more bass (ideally there would be a "bass booster" button on the amp as don't want the headphones banging 24/7 just when I am "in the mood" ie that's why I am leaning towards the 7000's rather than the 5000's) as compared to HD272

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 8
I've been astonished by the Beyerdynamic DT 150s.  Seriously, ridiculously good cans for two bills.  I do have the treble booster on, but with that activated, I prefer them to my D5000s:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533785/beauty-and-the-beast-d5000-vs-dt-150

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I've been astonished by the Beyerdynamic DT 150s.  Seriously, ridiculously good cans for two bills.  I do have the treble booster on, but with that activated, I prefer them to my D5000s:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533785/beauty-and-the-beast-d5000-vs-dt-150

WOW! Looks like a real insider (btw you maybe should change the headphones on your profile pic :wink: ) and good to see that it s not always about splashing out big cash to get good quality. Wonder what kind of music did you test them on (saw that your sound preferences are quite a bit different from mine)? Also comfort (as you wrote) might be an issues as I listen to them several hours a day usually. But in any case it seems they have it in the same shop I bought the AKG s from, so certainly worth jumping over to have a listen. Thanks for the hint, much appreciated! 

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 8
I have tried several full size cans (AT AD700/900, Senn HD600) and several higher end IEM's (SM3, Monster Trubine Pro Copper/Gold, Senn IE8, Radius DDM) and the D7000 simply slays anything I have owned and most everything I have heard including the D5000. It just has the perfect amount of bass, treble and mid-range for me and is decently driven by many sources. If you shop around you can also get a good deal on these new online or from the FS forum.

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 8
I do listen to different music, but you might find them attractive unequalized.  There's plenty of bass for anyone.  They are uncomfortable, but they've improved with wearing and stretching.  The Denons are a lot more comfortable, but I'm keeping the DT 150s, which is a testament to the Beyers' superior (IMHO) sound quality.

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 8
I am now listening to D7000 with M-Stage and loving the combo. They have the best bass I've ever heard in a full size can. Not boomy, bloated or anything of that sort. Actually, I am now listening to Victor Wooten and D7000 are giving me a pleasure with this album I've never had with any other headphone. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 8
Guys, thanks a lot for the feedback, appreciate your impressions, I haven't come around to audition the DT 150 this weekend, but after Marximus' strong review I am really keen to hear them!

When looking for some more info on the 7000 I came along some commercial videos from Ultrasone on youtube, which brought the Edition 8 to my attention (which then in turn made me also stumble on the T5p). So was wondering is it 1) worth the upgrade in terms of sound quality (it seems the E8 would be the better choice against the T5p for the music I listen to) and 2) since I listen to my headphones up to 10 hours a day, I was wondering whether ultrasone displaced drivers which reduces the sound pressure as well as their radition schielding (there s been a post on head-fi on this but not very helpful) should be taken into consideration as well

But then the other thing I am wondering about is, is that there are much more E8 up for sale here on the forum than 7000, even though the 7k have been around much longer, is that a sign that ppl are not happy with the E8's?

And finally is the m-stage still "good enough" for the E8?

Sorry for been back and forth on this, but it's quite a bit of money to spend so rather want to take all considerations into perspective

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Loving my D7000 with the E9. Plenty of neutral power for the D7000. Tightens up the bass, and keeps the sound crystal clear. Best $130 spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back