Agk k272HD/Akg271mkii Sennheiser 380 pro/shure srh 440
Mar 20, 2011 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dobrescu George

Reviewer: AudiophileHeaven
as the title says, i need to get one or two from the list.....

i am deciding between akg k 272 HD and Akg k 271 mkii

and on the other row between sennheiser 380 pro and shure srh 440.......

i need one or two from those up there... i am looking to decide between akg's because they have similar price, and i heard that they sound the same, i need verification about that, and if somebody know if they can be driven directly from cowon j3.....

the same about 380 pro and srh 440, between them i need the one that sound more enjoying, and to know how easy to drive are them.....  even throught i am sure that i will get sennheisers..... they are much more expensive in US and i think that they sound better than shure srh 440..... 

in my country, srhures are very overpriced, and sennheisers are a little underpriced......

the main surce will remain cowon j3, unamped.......

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Do some searching on the various phones to see if they meet your unstated requirements.  I'd think it best that you post in the "buying headphones, post here thread" after you work out your listening criteria ie type of music listened to, sound signature, isolation, sq, commuting, desktop,etc. You seem to be targeting studio monitors and using them in a mobile context, which Idon't believe will be satisfactory.

Briefly the AKGs are not good unamped phones and are too large to be truly portable. I'd strongly recommend against them unless your are using them with a dedicated amp. I cannot comment on the others as I have not heard them.

regards,

Giles

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
after you work out your listening criteria ie type of music listened to, sound signature, isolation, sq, commuting, desktop,etc. 

Op, now that you started a new thread...give us more info ^

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 11
i anyway bought
akg 371 mk ii
sennheiser 380 pro
shure srh 440
and sony xb700.....

if i will not like any of them, i will review them and i will be selling them....
and, gilles de rais, i am looking over for an amplififer, just could not have found one.... when the fiio e11 will be out, i will take that one, and i am looking for an nonportable amplifier, but still didn;t fiind.....

and as the power of j3, let me tell you that my behringer hpx2000 were still not loud out of my laptop, but when i plugger them into my j3, at 30-35 volume they were loud and at 40 they were FUC*ING LOUD, catching some distorsions, but that was expected, as they are low-mind end headphones.......

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 11
go for the allessandro ms1 over the sr80's (they are modified sr80s) much much better................. although saying that i did just sell my ms1 as I got the srh440 which are truly awesome.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 11
i already bought srh 440, sennheiser 380 pro, akg k271mkii and the good looking sony xb700.....

sure, i would go for some grados, but i already have some headphones... only if none of these will satisfy me i will look into something else.....

next months i am looking anyway for something from grado, i want to have something in my house, and for an amplifier.... but that is very hard to fiind, as no company has pay on delivery....

and to not forget, i am looking to get some audio tehnica and denons in future, but as for audio tehnica they are heavly overpriced in my country, 300$ for ath m50, and denons are ven more 500$ for d2000......

i will search on other european countries and maybe i will fiind something, anything that does not involve paypal.... and just a banking thing maybe.... i cannot use paypal..... that is why my situation is a little compliquated....

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 11
actually i changed my opinion after hard listening.... after 14 hours, i decided..... i am returning them to the shop, because i cannot make them go loud enought..... i tried everything.... i will just look for some other headphones.....
they make distorsions at loud volumes..... from j3 i mean.... this is not normal, and sure not acceptable....

i still have three.... sennheiser 380 have arrived.... they are beautifull (as sound).... warm, and very detailed, much more than what i was expecting from them......

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

As in all, ALL, cases, these headphones don't "need" an amp to sound good or be enjoyable, but will only perform better with higher quality amping.

I think our colleague's next post revealed that there is a huge difference between volume and control - I do believe my original position is validated...

regards,

Giles

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 11
no, actually they sound not that bad, they sound great, but not loud enought.... almos not loud enought for hearing all the details... they clearly need an amp.... i am getting fiio e7, maybe with e9.... but for now i am not keeping these.... maybe i wil rebuy them after buying fiio.... 

right now they are crap... i cannot listen and enjoy music out of them....  after getting fiio e9, wich i heard that is strong, i think that i will get akg k701....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back