AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 28, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #5,192 of 5,483
just picked up a pair on the used market. pretty smooth headphone IME with the monolith 788.

is it possible to upgrade these to the new folding headband or get them tuned to sound more like the 2? I dont hate the lean base but a little more wouldnt hurt. I havent tried playing with the damping mtrl yet.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5,193 of 5,483
Hi all, I'm new to the audiophile / audio-enthusiast world, and even newer to Head-Fi.org. I am considering buying a secondhand set of the Aeon Flow Closed. My current DACs are the Dragonfly Black and the Topping NX4 DSD. Would they (or at least the NX4) be powerful enough to drive the AFC? Thanks.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #5,194 of 5,483
Hi all, I'm new to the audiophile / audio-enthusiast world, and even newer to Head-Fi.org. I am considering buying a secondhand set of the Aeon Flow Closed. My current DACs are the Dragonfly Black and the Topping NX4 DSD. Would they (or at least the NX4) be powerful enough to drive the AFC? Thanks.

I see no reason why not, the AFC has paired well with everything I've tried.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #5,196 of 5,483

I'm afraid not. At least not well enough to make AFC sound their best. It requires more current than most portable device can deliver. IME, AFC will sound best on desktop amps.

Most people I see complaining AFC sound too thin is because it is more or less under driven. Get something like the Element II. Or if you already have a DAC get the atom/EL Amp

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #5,197 of 5,483
Thanks SteveOliver, DaemonSire, and headwhacker for your replies.

I'm afraid not. At least not well enough to make AFC sound their best. It requires more current than most portable device can deliver. IME, AFC will sound best on desktop amps.

Most people I see complaining AFC sound too thin is because it is more or less under driven. Get something like the Element II. Or if you already have a DAC

This probably explains why the only time I got to try any MrSpeakers Aeon Flow headphone (which was an Aeon Flow Open) in person, it sounded thin, because I was driving the headphones through a Dragonfly Black connected to my smartphone. I really liked the build quality, light weight, and reasonable size of the AFO, and those characteristics, in conjunction with the stellar reviews of the AFO and AFC scattered around the Web and the prices of secondhand AFOs and AFCs, make the AFO and AFC the most intriguing headphones to me right now.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #5,199 of 5,483
Perhaps people listened to it stock without trying all the tuning pads?

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #5,200 of 5,483
Mine sound pretty.... I don't know. lol. They don't do anything offensive for sure. Bass is a little thin at certain freq compared to what I prefer. But its not horrible. top end is not harsh at all. so far I have used them on my monolith 788 balanced. I also have a Xduoo XD-05 plus to use for them portable. I need to pick up a few pair of the connectors so I can make a custom cable for them. Fairly comfortable. I prefer very light clamp and these are less than most but not as low as I like, and the memory wire doesn't allow for any adjustment as far as I know. might try a little EQ with them.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #5,201 of 5,483
So I was replacing the earpads on my AFCs yesterday, and found some additional tuning pads under there. They were sitting between the earpads and the drivers. Is this normal?

I'd left them out when applying the new earpads, and the added transparency is amazing. Loving the way the AFCs sound now.

Attachments

• 20191215_232911.jpg
    20191215_232911.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #5,202 of 5,483
Would I be a maniac if I attempted to unclasp the nitinol headband from the four screw on each gimbal, then snipped them about 2cm? I must have a small head as the nitinol wire sticks up a good 2" above my head, I think it would look better if it was a bit closer, haha.

Maybe Dan could comment on this, if it would destroy the headband!

@Cliffch Doesn't sound right. When I take out my tuning pad, I can see the driver directly under the sheer fabric.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #5,203 of 5,483
Can anyone recommend an extender cable for the stock cable please. The stock is too short for me to sit at my desk and listen. Preferably from eu.

I just wonder what properties the cable should have to go along with the stock cable.

Dec 25, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #5,204 of 5,483
@mrspeakers just received closed model. Very happy. Just wanted to ask i have changed leather pads and after i lifted up old ones i saw a white foam like white filter over the ribbon. I suspect it is better not to touch/remove it? Becouse i got closed model second hand i am not shure if it is from factory or not. Also after lifting old pad i found felt filter beneath the pad. Please clarify me how it should be. Thanks!!!

Dec 25, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #5,205 of 5,483
@mrspeakers just received closed model. Very happy. Just wanted to ask i have changed leather pads and after i lifted up old ones i saw a white foam like white filter over the ribbon. I suspect it is better not to touch/remove it? Becouse i got closed model second hand i am not shure if it is from factory or not. Also after lifting old pad i found felt filter beneath the pad. Please clarify me how it should be. Thanks!!!

That's the acoustic tuning material. Best to leave it alone.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back