AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 10, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #5,176 of 5,483
Hi!

I might be buying these. What amp would you recommend? I have a budget of around 300 euros for it and I don't mind going to the used market. I was thinking about a CTH, a Chord Mojo or an iFi BL nano, but I haven't read much consensus about these. I did read against a lot of cheap tubes (like DarkVoice or LittleDot MK-any). What would you guys who own(ed) them recommend (no need to stick to any of the mentioned ones!)?

Thanks!

Edit: For what it's worth, I would be listening to metal with this pairing.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #5,177 of 5,483
Hi!

I might be buying these. What amp would you recommend? I have a budget of around 300 euros for it and I don't mind going to the used market. I was thinking about a CTH, a Chord Mojo or an iFi BL nano, but I haven't read much consensus about these. I did read against a lot of cheap tubes (like DarkVoice or LittleDot MK-any). What would you guys who own(ed) them recommend (no need to stick to any of the mentioned ones!)?

Thanks!
Mojo and afc go very well, a few people I know with big rigs (including me lol) still think this mobile combination totally rocks, you don’t really need further upgrade. Obviously better dacs are more transparent, but for sure, you won’t regret such a purchase/pairing.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #5,178 of 5,483
Mojo and afc go very well, a few people I know with big rigs (including me lol) still think this mobile combination totally rocks, you don’t really need further upgrade. Obviously better dacs are more transparent, but for sure, you won’t regret such a purchase/pairing.
Awesome!! Thanks for your input! :D For what is worth, I usually listen to metal, have you tested the pairing with this music?

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #5,179 of 5,483
Awesome!! Thanks for your input! :D For what is worth, I usually listen to metal, have you tested the pairing with this music?
Not metal but it loves electric guitar and drums. I listen more to Radiohead and edm, Neil Young. It’s really just wants you to crank the volume up!

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #5,180 of 5,483
AFC 1 is too peaky in the mids and treble and too lean in the bass for me for most metal. Its OK for doom or death and some thrash. However, bands like Inferi and Vektor become fatiguing and kick drums are not sufficiently represented.The AFC 2 mostly fixes all of that. Most metal recordings are poorly dynamically recorded and I've found the more dynamic the headphone the better. I've been on the search for a closed back headphone for metal for some time and AFC 2 may be it.

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #5,181 of 5,483
AFC 1 is too peaky in the mids and treble and too lean in the bass for me for most metal. Its OK for doom or death and some thrash. However, bands like Inferi and Vektor become fatiguing and kick drums are not sufficiently represented.The AFC 2 mostly fixes all of that. Most metal recordings are poorly dynamically recorded and I've found the more dynamic the headphone the better. I've been on the search for a closed back headphone for metal for some time and AFC 2 may be it.
Did you ever try it with mojo ? Is there a song you can reference so I can check out this kick drum thing as I’m genuinely interested.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #5,182 of 5,483
Not metal but it loves electric guitar and drums. I listen more to Radiohead and edm, Neil Young. It’s really just wants you to crank the volume up!
Thanks!

AFC2? You mean like the same old AFC but tweaked and now being sold? Is there a way to identify if I have 1 or 2?

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #5,183 of 5,483
I don't have a Mojo. Try Gojira - Stranded intro. With Atticus, M50x, and Emu Teak (wow sub-bass) there is a deep thump of the kick drums, while AFC 1 is more of a tap. Bass boost from the iDSD helps a bit or Lyr 3 with Loki also. But the stock bass sound is a bit more polite from the AFC 1 in this range. I need to directly AB with the AFC 2 later though as I'm relying a bit on audio memory.

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #5,185 of 5,483
There's a new Aeon Flow Closed released last week. It's red and tuned more like the original Aeon Flow Open (warmer, more bass).
Hmm, just saw. I see they killed the MrSpeakers name and changed it, thus why I was having trouble finding it. Well, I was looking at the used market, as the AFC new would just be too expensive for my current budget. Maybe in the future, I don't discard selling them and upgrading to something else. I have several warm headphones (LCD2.1, Atticus) and only one neutral (HD650), so I kinda wanted to enjoy them for a while, even though I honestly prefer a warmer signature, I had my eye on them for a good while (from before getting the ZMFs and Audezes).

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #5,187 of 5,483
Hi!

Thanks!

Edit: For what it's worth, I would be listening to metal with this pairing.

I hated the AFC1 and I don't recommend it to anyone. The new AFC2 looks more promising I'll review it if I buy it.

Nov 25, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #5,190 of 5,483
I got a chance to try the Aeon Flow Open and thought for sure I was going to leave with them. But I found the top of the headband uncomfortable after only 15 minutes. I think I've just got a sensative top of my head; things like grado are no go. Sennheisers with the padding or Focal with the plush padding are good. I sort of felt the hammock design put pressure on the very top of my head in the middle. Is this a common complaint? Otherwise the headphones sounded excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back