AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #4,501 of 5,483
Do you guys think that the DAP (any DAP) can make them perform at 100%? I doubt.

My personal opinion is that my AFCs sound better out of my Topping D50 > Schiit Lyr 3 than they do from my Fiio Q5.

The problem with labeling the performance of AFC with the Lyr 3 as closer to 100% (better) than the Q5 is that technically, it’s not. I perceive it as better. The tube adds euphonic distortion and the AFCs are good enough to make the difference perceivable. As long as the headphone isn’t underpowered, it’s working at 100% and it’s a matter of preference whether I like the sound better or worse from different upstream equipment.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #4,502 of 5,483
To expand further on the subject: The AFC is a fantastic headphone for a lot of reasons. IMHO one reason is because it was tuned by somebody who is an expert on Orthodynamic engineering and construction, Someone who knows how to achieve euphonic sound while maintaining as much acoustical accuracy as possible.

Well designed upstream equipment is probably also tuned, though to a lesser degree because maintaining signal accuracy beyond the range of human hearing is more easily achievable compared to headphones for any given level of expenditure or “beyond” one chooses to name.

Many regard maintaining signal accuracy as the ultimate acoustic aspiration. With an appropriate selection of such “wire with gain” type equipment, the AFC will deliver its sound as uncolored by upstream equipment as it’s possible to be, and it will sound fantastic because it’s a well designed and tuned headphone.

For equipment that is designed to be other than a perfect reproduction of the original source (like tube amps), AFCs may sound better or worse depending on how the equipment interacts with the AFC’s tuning and the listener’s preferences. In my personal experience, there are those combinations out there where the weaknesses cancel each other out or the strengths reinforce. The AFCs appear to do very well with hybrid amps because hybrids generally can handle low impedance high current loads and the AFCs do a great job of capturing the euphonic characteristics of tubes.

All the above is simply my opinion and at least partly thanks to a very nice Cuban rum and the sounds of Boombox - Downriver Electric on my AFCs.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #4,503 of 5,483
To expand further on the subject: The AFC is a fantastic headphone for a lot of reasons. IMHO one reason is because it was tuned by somebody who is an expert on Orthodynamic engineering and construction, Someone who knows how to achieve euphonic sound while maintaining as much acoustical accuracy as possible.

Well designed upstream equipment is probably also tuned, though to a lesser degree because maintaining signal accuracy beyond the range of human hearing is more easily achievable compared to headphones for any given level of expenditure or “beyond” one chooses to name.

Many regard maintaining signal accuracy as the ultimate acoustic aspiration. With an appropriate selection of such “wire with gain” type equipment, the AFC will deliver its sound as uncolored by upstream equipment as it’s possible to be, and it will sound fantastic because it’s a well designed and tuned headphone.

For equipment that is designed to be other than a perfect reproduction of the original source (like tube amps), AFCs may sound better or worse depending on how the equipment interacts with the AFC’s tuning and the listener’s preferences. In my personal experience, there are those combinations out there where the weaknesses cancel each other out or the strengths reinforce. The AFCs appear to do very well with hybrid amps because they can handle low impedance high current loads and the AFCs do a great job of capturing the euphonic characteristics of tubes.

All the above is simply my opinion and at least partly thanks to a very nice Cuban rum and Boombox - Downriver Electric on my AFCs.

Nodding head in agreement with most of your spiel till the rum part. Alcohol adds coloration to listening experience :), but enjoy!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #4,504 of 5,483
Nodding head in agreement with most of your spiel till the rum part. Alcohol adds coloration to the listening experience too. :)

Most definitely. Listening to music through headphones is a sensory experience. So is riding a rollercoaster, drinking wine, eating a great meal, etc. Your mood, your attitude, and even the environment you’re sitting / standing in have an effect. For example: No matter how good my equipment, listening to headphones on the subway doesn’t hold a candle to listening to the same equipment sitting in my super comfortable ekornes chair with my feet facing a fire in my living room.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #4,505 of 5,483
I am considering a transportable dac/amp for the AFC - I currently have Mojo/fulla2 - Do you guys have any recommendations? I don't want the size to be much bigger and the budget is up to $1K

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #4,507 of 5,483
What is 100%?, If Chord Dave then no :).

I run my Aeon Open with my FiiO X7II and the Ibasso DX150 and don't have any complaints at all. Both do a great job with the Open, but I am also aware that it is not the best setup in the world!
I'd love to hear your comparison of the two.

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4,508 of 5,483
So what do you think of the AFCs?
Love the AFCs! These are my first closed backs and I have to say that I really like the more intimate soundstage..that's not saying that they sound narrow in terms of soundstage, but coming from open backs there is an adjustment. Bass is fuller (haven't begun dabbling in Eqing on my rme adi 2 DAC so increase sub bass) and the detail/imaging is way more prominent compared to the he400i that I've been using for 4 years now. Also, big props to Mr speakers for using the SN-8-4(P) connectors..soldering a xlr cable with these plugs was a breeze (minus the crimp ring, thankfully my dremel took care of shaping it to pass through the outer shell). Overall; so far I'm more than happy with these headphones!

Edit- forgot to mention microphonics..there is a lot of that, opted for paracord from the y split but I think it's inevitable with custom cables and most of all closed cans (you're going to hear most from plug to plug if you move you're head & even when you're clenching you're jaw) guess I have to relax more to dissipate added sounds.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #4,509 of 5,483
Love the AFCs! These are my first closed backs and I have to say that I really like the more intimate soundstage..that's not saying that they sound narrow in terms of soundstage, but coming from open backs there is an adjustment. Bass is fuller (haven't begun dabbling in Eqing on my rme adi 2 DAC so increase sub bass) and the detail/imaging is way more prominent compared to the he400i that I've been using for 4 years now. Also, big props to Mr speakers for using the SN-8-4(P) connectors..soldering a xlr cable with these plugs was a breeze (minus the crimp ring, thankfully my dremel took care of shaping it to pass through the outer shell). Overall; so far I'm more than happy with these headphones!

Edit- forgot to mention microphonics..there is a lot of that, opted for paracord from the y split but I think it's inevitable with custom cables and most of all closed cans (you're going to hear most from plug to plug if you move you're head & even when you're clenching you're jaw) guess I have to relax more to dissipate added sounds.

Had the same experience going from 400i to AFC. It’s a nice upgrade, albeit a pricey one.

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #4,510 of 5,483
Had the same experience going from 400i to AFC. It’s a nice upgrade, albeit a pricey one.
As I've said previously in this thread, I'm new to this..had my oppo Ha-1 since 2014 and before that I had a yulong DAC/headphone amp. I'm really happy with the rme adi DAC as pre amp and Oppo ha1 for the xlr out! Looking forward to dabbling with EQ though, making fine adjustments to the AFCs..but I have to say that besides the microphonics, I'm absolutely happy with these headphones (might research other material to dampen that).

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #4,511 of 5,483
IMG_1776.jpg
Hey Yogi,

I made a 20 ft custom XLR cable HP-1 from DH labs....then I put some Netting type cover over it....and not only is is dead black silent, it has not one drop of Microphonics either!

I have made three of these cables for every one of my Cans...DH is happy to sell bulk cable!

Cheers,
Booboo

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #4,512 of 5,483
Hey Yogi,

I made a 20 ft custom XLR cable HP-1 from DH labs....then I put some Netting type cover over it....and not only is is dead black silent, it has not one drop of Microphonics either!

I have made three of these cables for every one of my Cans...DH is happy to sell bulk cable!

Cheers,
Booboo
Would you mind directing me towards a specific link for that? Would love to make these puppies silent!

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #4,513 of 5,483
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #4,514 of 5,483
Yogi,

Here you go...https://silversonic.com/products/headphone-cables/hp-1/

You can always call them for Bulk Cable as I did not see that specific link...but the link I listed will at least get you into the ballpark...Ask for Greg...he's a good dude...

Larry
Thanks bud! Don't want to even think what that's going to cost me as a international customer..but I'll at least bookmark it for future purchase!
I'll probably stick to my canare L-4E6 cables for now until someone has a tip on webbing for them, can't afford anything else at the moment; AFC + rme DAC 2 set me back for a while. Missing the rumble in these headphones but they make up on so may levels (going to eq these bastards!)

For now I've found a way of "propping" the cable from the y splitter that let's the wires "hang loose" to the headphones...temporarily, but works for now.
Having come from open backs I have to say that I'm floored by the detail that these HP deliver! Bear with me (I'm giving my opinion as I go along).

My opinion is only from he-i400 users and I hope anyone that is coming from a he-400i know that this headphone is an incredible upgrade if you want to go further. I've always opted for open back, but this is an incredibly capable closed back that will give the best soundstage and imaging for the buck, if that is what you seek from a closed back at this price range, look no futher!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #4,515 of 5,483
The cable in bulk is not all that pricy....between $7-8/foot . It's just the shipping you'll need to spring for...

Cheers,
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back