AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 11, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #4,411 of 5,483
[QUOTE="Xyst, post: 14404829, member: 133498"
Also, is there an a general recommendation for a starter amp and DAC for these yet?

Touchy subject. My personal belief? Don't cheap out. If you can't commit to at least a Schiit Magni/Modi (USD 200) look elsewhere. These headphones need a reasonable amount of current to drive well (note the "well" - even some daps can be used with the Aeons, but they sound bland, flat and constipated...) Some of the popular gear used includes the iFi DSD Black Label (USD 600), the Schiit Jotunheim (USD 349). Massdrop occasionally runs the Cavalli Liquid Carbon or the CTH with an ODAC for about USD $349. Despite being closed, these are not really anything other than a desktop headphone. IMO etc.

Oh and they scale spectacularly - currently using a USD2,500 Naim Dac v-1. Sounds brilliant.

regards,

Giles[/QUOTE]

My experience is similar to yours with an AFC. Never heard an AFO so no comment there. The AFC is good enough to show pretty clearly what in your sound chain isn’t cutting it. On the upside, a good amp can really make these shine. The AFC isn’t that efficient so if an amplifier can deliver lots of current at 11 ohms, the dynamic richness and detail this headphone can deliver comes out. It’s also very neutral, some would say analytical, so it plays well with a good hybrid tube amp.

I run mine on a Lyr 3 paired with a 1952 Tung Sol 6SN7 GT. The combo suits my sonic tastes very well and delivers detail and microdynamics so good that it reminds me of the first time I heard something better than a “transistor radio”, Walkman, or school PA system.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #4,412 of 5,483
Is here somebody who hast testest the Aeon Closed in combination with a AK Player ( AK 380, SP1000,SP100 etc) with 4 rms Balanced out. For me the Aeon Closed does not shine wiht my AK SE 100 in singel ended ( 2vrms ). Perhaps it must be a separate Had Amp or Hugo 2 and a "normal" DAP is not power good enough. But on my desktop Amp the Aeon shines. What for DAPs are good with Aeon Closed ? Yes i hear QPR2. But ther are also others i think.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #4,414 of 5,483
Is here somebody who hast testest the Aeon Closed in combination with a AK Player ( AK 380, SP1000,SP100 etc) with 4 rms Balanced out. For me the Aeon Closed does not shine wiht my AK SE 100 in singel ended ( 2vrms ). Perhaps it must be a separate Had Amp or Hugo 2 and a "normal" DAP is not power good enough. But on my desktop Amp the Aeon shines. What for DAPs are good with Aeon Closed ? Yes i hear QPR2. But ther are also others i think.
They sound wonderfully from my Ibasso DX200+Amp8 ( Balanced, 4,4), this amp delivers 6.2Vrms. Definitely they need power...

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #4,415 of 5,483
I got the Aeon and paired it with the iBasso DX200 DAP. While I really like the detailing in high and mids the bass if somewhat lacking. I was trying to get used to it but often I really miss the bass punch.

I tried the Fiio E10k briefly and found that it gave much better bass than the DX200. Now I am reconsidering the iBasso. If it is beaten by such a cheap amp.

What do you recommend to pair the Aeon? Was the iBasso a bad choice?

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #4,416 of 5,483
I got the Aeon and paired it with the iBasso DX200 DAP. While I really like the detailing in high and mids the bass if somewhat lacking. I was trying to get used to it but often I really miss the bass punch.

I tried the Fiio E10k briefly and found that it gave much better bass than the DX200. Now I am reconsidering the iBasso. If it is beaten by such a cheap amp.

What do you recommend to pair the Aeon? Was the iBasso a bad choice?
I think the Ibasso was a good choice, but the included amp card, Amp1, no. Amp8 has way more power and the bass improves. Anyway this is not a bass champ, but treble and mids are something special.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #4,419 of 5,483
Is the iBasso or the MrSpeakers not a bass champ? Or both?
MrSpeakers in my opinion. With both the HEXv2 or the Andromedas I have plenty of bass.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #4,420 of 5,483
Hi,

I use AEON C with Mojo on my work desktop.
I have Chord Qutest that I use now in my home system and 2Qute that I used in my home system previously.
AEON C sound OK with Mojo. But I feel Mojo can't open all potential of AEON, especially, in term of dynamic.
I'm going to sell Mojo and use 2Qute with an amplifier for my work desktop.
Which Schitt headphones amplifier will work good between 2Qute and AEON?
Magni or Asgard?
Or I need hybrid one like Vali?

Regards,
Alex.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #4,421 of 5,483
Hi,

I have Chord Qutest that I use now in my home system and 2Qute that I used in my home system previously.
AEON C sound OK with Mojo. But I feel Mojo can't open all potential of AEON, especially, in term of dynamic.
Magni or Asgard?

Regards,
Alex.

Sell your 2Qute and Mojo (which I did) and buy the Hugo 2? Perfect work setup with my AEON C.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #4,422 of 5,483
Hi,

Magni or Asgard?

Regards,
Alex.

Personally I use a Schiit Lyr 3. It sounds better to me than my Magni 3 which felt a little flat. I’ve never heard an Asgard, but I notice it has a fair amount of output impedance which might not work so well with the fairly low impedance and power hungry Aeon Flow Closed.

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #4,424 of 5,483

Sell your 2Qute and Mojo (which I did) and buy the Hugo 2? Perfect work setup with my AEON C.

Hugo 2 is rather amazing. I love mine, and don't travel without it. I use the QP2r for convenience.

Personally I use a Schiit Lyr 3. It sounds better to me than my Magni 3 which felt a little flat. I’ve never heard an Asgard, but I notice it has a fair amount of output impedance which might not work so well with the fairly low impedance and power hungry Aeon Flow Closed.

Lyr 3 would have been my suggestion too... 6SN7 version.

Hi all

Is anyone here driving these cans with the new iFi Pro iDSD?

Cheers

Me. This is a solid performer, and for those who like to bump the bass, the XBass feature works like a champ.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back