AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #4,096 of 5,483
It won’t be crazy, but pricing not yet set...

How thick are the new filters? With the included filters, my ears touch the filters it seems.

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #4,098 of 5,483
How thick are the new filters? With the included filters, my ears touch the filters it seems.

They are all thinner than the foam...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,100 of 5,483
I posted the following thoughts on the Utopia thread, but thought it might be of interest/value to those perusing the AFC thread, so here it is...

Some guy tried to start a debate with me on reddit yesterday when I asserted that while I believe my Utopias are the better headphone, the AFC have fewer "strings" attached, which allow me to enjoy them just a little bit more than the Utopias. I wasn't trying to take anything away from the Utopia, only trying to express my high regard for the AFC, while offering my input for someone who was asking for direct comparisons. What I said was that with the AFC, I really get lost in the music. With my Utopias, there is always this thought in my head while listening, that I am listening to a really expensive pair of headphones...and its really kinda distracting. I think he was mad that I had an expensive pair of headphones sitting on a stand, not getting the love they deserve?? Or he was just your typical passive-aggressive reddit troll trying to goad me into a fruitless argument??

I wear my AFC nearly all day at work (because they are closed) with my Hugo2. If I could wear my Utopias at work, I would probably sell the AFC…well maybe. But, because I can’t wear open headphones at work, the Utopias only get worn at home and usually only for shorter listening sessions, splitting time with my speaker setup. It also usually takes a little while for my ears to adjust to the Utopias, especially after listening to the AFC all day. For the first hour or so or listening, I’m listening, but not really listening. Mostly, I’m wondering to myself whether they are really “worth” their weight in carbon fiber and lambskin. I doubt many who own the Utopias would experience this feeling unless they, like me, only get to listen to them for a couple/few hours throughout the week. But it usually takes a while for me to warm up to them each time I put them on. But once my ears adjust, they are simply stunning. Eventually I get to a point when I get lost in the music, just before I fall asleep. But, there is always, at least for me, a stigma attached to my pair of Utopias and it takes away from my overall enjoyment while listening to them. This is not a feeling I get while listening to the AFC. The AFC and Utopias are very different from each other. I do believe one is objectively/subjectively better than the other. I’m really glad I own and get to listen to both. But, in my opinion the AFC are unquestionably the better value...and for some, like me, might find them more enjoyable too.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #4,101 of 5,483
@ guerph - Totally get what you're saying. I've only had the AFCs a couple of weeks but one of the things I've noticed with them is that I'm far more often in 'Enjoying The Music' mode rather than 'Gear Review' mode with them, way more than I would normally with new stuff. I love my LCD4. They're my favourite headphone ever, no doubt, and most days end with a little LCD4 action. And yet while listening I still catch myself analysing and wondering if they're REALLY worth the money sometimes rather than losing myself in the music. Sometimes, that is.

Another thing with the AFC: I'll listen to whatever music I want to listen to next. As opposed to with the LCD4 where I'll sometimes put on something to 'stretch' them, or push them to extremes - dsd recordings, real church organ recordings, Mahler, dubtronica with subterranean bass etc - but not necessarily my current favourite music. Interesting that subtle difference.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #4,102 of 5,483
After lurking on this thread for months, I finally drove from the Bay area down to the So Cal Can Jam this last weekend...Listening to the AFC at Mr Speakers booth...I really enjoyed what I heard listening to familiar tracks from my iPhone X through the incredible tube amp that Dan had set up....After many tracks and hearing Dan's offer of a -15% show price....I pealed out the plastic so Dan could sign me up....Now I'll strap them to an Amp for the 100 hour-burn in...Can't wait to hear them broken in.....

It was a pleasure to meet Mr Speakers himself and his approach to headphones... I own the HD 800S and though I listened to the new HD 820 sealed HP while I was there....I also learned they are certainly not worth 3X the price of the AFC's!!!!

Thanks Dan!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #4,103 of 5,483
@ guerph - Totally get what you're saying. I've only had the AFCs a couple of weeks but one of the things I've noticed with them is that I'm far more often in 'Enjoying The Music' mode rather than 'Gear Review' mode with them, way more than I would normally with new stuff. I love my LCD4. They're my favourite headphone ever, no doubt, and most days end with a little LCD4 action. And yet while listening I still catch myself analysing and wondering if they're REALLY worth the money sometimes rather than losing myself in the music. Sometimes, that is.

Another thing with the AFC: I'll listen to whatever music I want to listen to next. As opposed to with the LCD4 where I'll sometimes put on something to 'stretch' them, or push them to extremes - dsd recordings, real church organ recordings, Mahler, dubtronica with subterranean bass etc - but not necessarily my current favourite music. Interesting that subtle difference.

Nick,

I tried the LCD4 at last years So Cal Can Jam and I thought they were waaaay too heavy even for just a few minutes...when I looked down they slid off my head...For me...~ 400 grams is all I find comfortable... I really like how the AFC are built and how they install on my head....I can see real engineering went into the design! Thanks to Dan!

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #4,104 of 5,483
... I own the HD 800S and though I listened to the new HD 820 sealed HP while I was there....I also learned they are certainly not worth 3X the price of the AFC's!!!!...

AFC is the sealed headphone that I have been looking for. I use it in the office every working day and often at home also. Zero interest in the HD820, even though I also own the HD800S.

I owned and sold the Utopia shortly after its release. Got caught up in the "World's Best Headphone" hype train. It isn't - not to my ears, anyway. Forward, bright, edgy, fatiguing. Not my thing at all, despite the amazing detail, speed and punch. More than 30 minutes on the Utopia had me wanting to throw it across the room. YMMV.

HEKv2 is about the best TOTL open headphone I have heard. Porting improves the SQ significantly. Great comfort also.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #4,105 of 5,483

I really hate to call the AFCs forgiving, but I honestly can't think of another word. There are songs, which I happen to love, that I can't listen to on my Utopias without wincing. They just reveal too much, which means for some recordings, a lot of crap. The same songs on my AFCs sound great on the other hand.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #4,106 of 5,483
Nick,

I tried the LCD4 at last years So Cal Can Jam and I thought they were waaaay too heavy even for just a few minutes...when I looked down they slid off my head...For me...~ 400 grams is all I find comfortable... I really like how the AFC are built and how they install on my head....I can see real engineering went into the design! Thanks to Dan!

That's not an uncommon comment about the LCD4, but it's never been an issue for me. I listen for blissful hour after hour with no thought of the weight.

I really hate to call the AFCs forgiving, but I honestly can't think of another word. There are songs, which I happen to love, that I can't listen to on my Utopias without wincing. They just reveal too much, which means for some recordings, a lot of crap. The same songs on my AFCs sound great on the other hand.

Yes 'forgiving' sounds a bit like 'covering up the flaws' or 'not analytical'. It has negative connotations for me anyway, and whatever quality it is that makes the AFCs like that it's definitely not a negative!

Apr 10, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #4,109 of 5,483
The AFC simply lacks treble. There is some serious roll off happening in the upper regions.

The Focal Utopia is a neutral headphone which doesn't lack any frequencies and requires very high end gear to shine.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4,110 of 5,483
The AFC simply lacks treble. There is some serious roll off happening in the upper regions.

The Focal Utopia is a neutral headphone which doesn't lack any frequencies and requires very high end gear to shine.

Interesting how folks hear things differently. I find the AFC the most balanced headphone I have ever owned. The Utopia was bright to my ears with a nasty treble spike. Fatiguing, despite some things that it does amazingly well. To each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back