AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #3,991 of 5,483
What's the Max power spec of the aeon closed?

Not published, because really there's no safe listening level that could damage the headphone. If you pump 3 or more watts in you'll probably burn a trace at some point, so the moral of the story is even VERY loud listening is never going to hit the max power unless you're deaf. At that point consider this an ear-saving fuse-feature. :L3000:

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #3,992 of 5,483
Not published, because really there's no safe listening level that could damage the headphone. If you pump 3 or more watts in you'll probably burn a trace at some point, so the moral of the story is even VERY loud listening is never going to hit the max power unless you're deaf. At that point consider this an ear-saving fuse-feature. :L3000:

None of my amps can do even near 3 watts so I guess I'm safe running test signals at all volumes. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #3,993 of 5,483
FWIW we've only had a couple of trace breaks through all time, mostly due to minor faults in etching. I don't think we've ever had someone "pop a fuse."

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #3,994 of 5,483
FWIW we've only had a couple of trace breaks through all time, mostly due to minor faults in etching. I don't think we've ever had someone "pop a fuse."

Dear lord... People are going to think you've just issued a challenge! :astonished:

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #3,995 of 5,483

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #3,997 of 5,483
These $799 Aeons are pretty good. I was testing out the Focal Clear the other day and it wasn’t the straight up beating I was expecting considering that these are closed headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #3,998 of 5,483
I have concluded not to read another HP review via Stereophile. What was I thinking. Did I really expect it to be any good. I am not going into detail why I did not like it. The author, J.A. did not diss the AFC. He just did not write the review like he knew what he was talking about. He simply would frequently quote Tyll and compare his thoughts. He continued to state the AFC were "rough sounding". Really??? What does that mean? Let just take a moment to copy a few quotes from the article so you all can ponder:

"Tyll Hertsens concluded his review of the Æons with: “both audio enthusiasts and professionals will nd themselves pleased as punch with this high-value audio transducer. Tonal balance and transient response are extraordinary only some roughness and slight dynamic compression belie the fact that this is a sealed headphone and isn’t going to deliver the nesse, smooth- ness, and liquidity of some open headphones.”

"Using the foam fllters is, to my mind, mandatory rather than optional, to optimize the balance between the low frequen-
cies and the midrange. Without the filters, the MrSpeakers sounded too lightweight, too forward in the highs. Huh?

"For comparisons with my Audeze LCD-X open-back headphones ($1699)2 and Thinksound’s On2 closed-back, over-ear ’phones ($199.99), which I reviewed in April 2017." Why are you comparing a open-back HP to AFC and when you do compare a closed-back you choose a $199.99? Personally, that is an insult to this HP. He states the highs were similar between the two HPs, but in the end the AFC outclassed the $199.99...I would hope so.

"The Æons slightly emphasized the “blat” of the brass instruments, the space around the instruments, and the phlegmy edge to the voice; in general, voices sounded more natural through the LCD-Xes, with more weight to the lows but less top-octave air. I’ll stick with the Au-dezes." I am not expert to HP reviews, but not at all familiar what he is trying to say.

In conclusion, he did state, "But the Æons have opened my ears to what can be achieved with closed-back headphones. Nice" Well, at least he ended on a high note, I guess, sigh........

Am I to critical?

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #3,999 of 5,483
Well I have a dilemma. I got the Aeon C off a fellow Head Fi member and they are in excellent condition, the look brand new but.....................
I really got them for portable use as I have the HEK for home use, I really dont see these as portable, they are a pretty large headphone. Its my error as I should have been more thorough in my research.
I got them to replace my Momentums and they are as expected a HUGE step up from them, HUGE. They also have a great fit and they are so comfortable.
However I may put them straight up for sale as I just cant see me using them outside or for any kind of portable use, to be honest my HEKs are not that much bigger.
For a closed back HP they sound great....shall I keep them as an expensive hardly ever used gadget, it doesnt make sense I guess. Ah decisions decisions :grinning:

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #4,000 of 5,483
Well I have a dilemma. I got the Aeon C off a fellow Head Fi member and they are in excellent condition, the look brand new but.....................
I really got them for portable use as I have the HEK for home use, I really dont see these as portable, they are a pretty large headphone. Its my error as I should have been more thorough in my research.
I got them to replace my Momentums and they are as expected a HUGE step up from them, HUGE. They also have a great fit and they are so comfortable.
However I may put them straight up for sale as I just cant see me using them outside or for any kind of portable use, to be honest my HEKs are not that much bigger.
For a closed back HP they sound great....shall I keep them as an expensive hardly ever used gadget, it doesnt make sense I guess. Ah decisions decisions :grinning:
What’s the dilemma? They’re not small headphones but why is that a problem, exactly? Get a bigger bag if you need to - audio bliss requires sacrifices! :wink:

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #4,001 of 5,483
I am trying to see myself on a beach with these on, and I just can’t :grinning:
They are just too big to carry around for portable use in my opinion.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #4,002 of 5,483
I am trying to see myself on a beach with these on, and I just can’t :grinning:
They are just too big to carry around for portable use in my opinion.
I can't imagine using over ear headphones at the beach. Aren't you worried about sand ruining your headphones?

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #4,003 of 5,483
I have concluded not to read another HP review via Stereophile. What was I thinking. Did I really expect it to be any good. I am not going into detail why I did not like it. The author, J.A. did not diss the AFC. He just did not write the review like he knew what he was talking about. He simply would frequently quote Tyll and compare his thoughts. He continued to state the AFC were "rough sounding". Really??? What does that mean? Let just take a moment to copy a few quotes from the article so you all can ponder:

"Tyll Hertsens concluded his review of the Æons with: “both audio enthusiasts and professionals will nd themselves pleased as punch with this high-value audio transducer. Tonal balance and transient response are extraordinary only some roughness and slight dynamic compression belie the fact that this is a sealed headphone and isn’t going to deliver the nesse, smooth- ness, and liquidity of some open headphones.”

"Using the foam fllters is, to my mind, mandatory rather than optional, to optimize the balance between the low frequen-
cies and the midrange. Without the filters, the MrSpeakers sounded too lightweight, too forward in the highs. Huh?

"For comparisons with my Audeze LCD-X open-back headphones ($1699)2 and Thinksound’s On2 closed-back, over-ear ’phones ($199.99), which I reviewed in April 2017." Why are you comparing a open-back HP to AFC and when you do compare a closed-back you choose a $199.99? Personally, that is an insult to this HP. He states the highs were similar between the two HPs, but in the end the AFC outclassed the $199.99...I would hope so.

"The Æons slightly emphasized the “blat” of the brass instruments, the space around the instruments, and the phlegmy edge to the voice; in general, voices sounded more natural through the LCD-Xes, with more weight to the lows but less top-octave air. I’ll stick with the Au-dezes." I am not expert to HP reviews, but not at all familiar what he is trying to say.

In conclusion, he did state, "But the Æons have opened my ears to what can be achieved with closed-back headphones. Nice" Well, at least he ended on a high note, I guess, sigh........

Am I to critical?

First thing I though after reading it was..."boy that was lazy." Why didn't they just drop a hyperlink to Tyll's review and call it a day?

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #4,004 of 5,483
I can't imagine using over ear headphones at the beach. Aren't you worried about sand ruining your headphones?

With the momentums I wasnt no. These though yes they look too good to be on a beach. The beach reference was a bit tongue in cheek though I was just highlighting the fact that I think they are too big for portable use.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #4,005 of 5,483
With the momentums I wasnt no. These though yes they look too good to be on a beach. The beach reference was a bit tongue in cheek though I was just highlighting the fact that I think they are too big for portable use.
I bought these specifically for travelling to and from work and everything else. I have a big bag with me anyway so space for the carry case is no issue but these are so comfy and sound so outstanding that its worth bringing them everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back