AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 30, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,391 of 5,483
objectively people are paying for accuracy

These blanket statements are getting ridiculous, and I'm starting to suspect you're unfamiliar with what "objectivity" means. No, that's not even the PRIMARY reason people buy headphones, which is: because they like how they sound (or at least suspect they will due to other people's impressions and descriptions) and a good deal of the time that has nothing to do with accuracy.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,393 of 5,483
These blanket statements are getting ridiculous, and I'm starting to suspect you're unfamiliar with what "objectivity" means. No, that's not even the PRIMARY reason people buy headphones, which is: because they like how they sound (or at least suspect they will due to other people's impressions and descriptions) and a good deal of the time that has nothing to do with accuracy.

Yes its objective, but most people buy headphones blind without testing them first.
Meaning they do research online, look at frequency graphs, other reviews and peoples postings here.

They usually purchase more expensive headphones to get better SOUND QUALITY, otherwise you can just purchase some $20-40 headphones. Which is what most people do and they are "fine" with how it sounds.
If you are an audiophile then you are already searching for higher quality sound than what is available at your local store for $100 or less, or you don't believe in just buying blind.

So your subjective comments are just that, subjective. People don't become audiophiles because "they just like how that headphone sounds". Normal people don't go out and buy $800 headphones because "it sounds cool". Its for an objective reason, hopefully in the end they "like how it sounds" but as I said before... most don't audition headphones before purchasing them. And since not everyone's tastes are the same its why some MFG's allow returns within a certain period of time because the headphone might not fit their taste. Even if you are a basshead for example, you are here looking for headphones with MORE & Clear Bass with better Bass extension, etc.
Otherwise you would just buy beats with 30db bass boost and call it a day because QUALITY is no a concern over QUANTITY.

These Aeons sound great TO ME and they have incredible ACCURACY and TONALITY. Which is what I am looking for in a headphone, the isolation and comfort is also great which is a factor for me aswell since I often listen for 4-10 hours a time (almost every day).
I'm not sure why people get upset when I explain very simple things on this forum, such as that we are here pursuing high QUALITY sound vs the average individual.
If you like your sound different then you can alter it any way you like with any combination of hardware that you like or get a different headphone entirely. But to get mad at other people who are explaining the purpose of such high end products is overly ridiculous.

I brought these to a HeadFi Meet and everyone who liked analytical listening or tonality loved these headphones, some other guys liked smoother and bassier sounds and were more interested in my D7200. There is nothing wrong with that, and surely nobody was upset at anyone else for liking a different headphone or having different tastes, so why should this forum be different?

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #3,394 of 5,483
Yes its objective, but most people buy headphones blind without testing them first.
Meaning they do research online, look at frequency graphs, other reviews and peoples postings here.

What? 9/10ths of the time people don't look at a graph before buying. *I* don't even always look at graphs before buying. (You realize only a few review sites even show graphs, right?) Most buy because they think a headphone will sound good, not because it's going to be the pinnacle of accuracy.

You buy cans because they're neutral and accurate? Good for you, but that's not an objective fact, at all, in any way. Audeze made a cottage industry out of headphones with great bass (the LCD-2) and built from there. Is it accurate? Nope, there are even huge gaps in their treble region, but people don't care and will plunk down $1000 because they love that Audeze bass, and I don't blame them, it's very good.

"But to get mad at other people who are explaining the purpose of such high end products"

That literally made me chuckle. I'm mad? When did that happen? I doubt you can even make me mad. These products (including the AEON) have many purposes for many different people, not just the one YOU deem important. One guy will buy Aeons for studio work, another will buy them to use as lightweight full-size travel cans, another will buy them because they're very accurate, and yes, people are even buying them because they take well to EQ, sound great w/ tubes, and can be very fun. Why you bought them is subjective, it's in no way objective. However, at this point I believe you're simply trolling me, so I'm just going to ignore you and move on with my life. Cheers.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #3,397 of 5,483
I wonder if anyone read Axel's post above.

Obviously, that's why I'm moving on (and I referenced the AEONs in my replies, even). Did you?

------------------

Anyhow, I'm moving on to test the AEONs with portable gear, and not too surprisingly, they sound pretty thin directly out of my DP-X1a, even balanced, so I had to EQ in a little bass to fill them in. So yeah, they really like current. Even adding a small portable amp made an improvement and they scale quite well all the way up.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #3,400 of 5,483
Anyone have these cans paired with an AK380, with or without amp? Good match?

It's fine. They still get more body out of a desktop amp, though.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,401 of 5,483
Can the Aeon Closed be ordered with a balanced cable?

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3,405 of 5,483
MrSpeakers sells a balanced cable ("DUM cable" I think) that will work with the Aeon. However, I seem to recall @mrspeakers mentioning earlier in the thread that a balanced "DUMMER cable" was in development that would be cheaper.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to more info on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back