AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 26, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #3,331 of 5,483
56D60648-9C69-48DA-BCEE-DDC723F81ACD.png
I’ve listened to a lot of great stuff with my Aeons, but I really love how they handle acoustic stuff, Colter Wall album sounds just insane.

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #3,332 of 5,483
The AFC just does not add bass to a song that doesn't have it. When present in the mix, they do reach low and have plenty of detail. Well recorded jazz is a real treat. Hearing the strings vibrate with all of the harmonics on an upright bass is thrilling. I typically do not EQ, but the answer for thos songs lacking bass is to bump the bottom up a bit. Loki is probably OK, but there are many ways of doing a bit of judicious EQ without buying something else.
BTW, I should know I am sure... but MBP ???

AHHH... MacBook Pro. Not an apple guy... sorry

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,333 of 5,483
The AFC just does not add bass to a song that doesn't have it. When present in the mix, they do reach low and have plenty of detail. Well recorded jazz is a real treat. Hearing the strings vibrate with all of the harmonics on an upright bass is thrilling. I typically do not EQ, but the answer for thos songs lacking bass is to bump the bottom up a bit. Loki is probably OK, but there are many ways of doing a bit of judicious EQ without buying something else.

Yea it's MacBook pro. I'm also not an apple guy.

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #3,334 of 5,483
The AFC just does not add bass to a song that doesn't have it. When present in the mix, they do reach low and have plenty of detail.
I agree. It's very apparent to me with electronic tracks (trance, techno, etc). Some are mixed and mastered really well and the bass is prominent to the degree that it should be. Others, not so much and I feel myself wanting that extra bass. The Loki is great for this and I find it more convenient than digital EQ.

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #3,335 of 5,483
I am having a difficult time connecting the cable to the Aeons and would appreciate tips on how to do this. Sometimes it goes right in and more often I am turning the cable end trying to get it to go into the headphone. Should I be lining something up? Thanks.

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #3,336 of 5,483
There are alignment notches in the connectors. It is normal to have to spin them to get them to line up. if you look closely you can see them but there is nothing on the outside of the connector to help as far as I can see.

I am having a difficult time connecting the cable to the Aeons and would appreciate tips on how to do this. Sometimes it goes right in and more often I am turning the cable end trying to get it to go into the headphone. Should I be lining something up? Thanks.

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #3,337 of 5,483
I agree. It's very apparent to me with electronic tracks (trance, techno, etc). Some are mixed and mastered really well and the bass is prominent to the degree that it should be. Others, not so much and I feel myself wanting that extra bass. The Loki is great for this and I find it more convenient than digital EQ.

Different strokes... Digital EQ is more flexible and is generally free. Parametric is my choice. But you need to be cognizant of those bits and their levels. Analog is great, but you have to buy something, deal with cabling and power supplies... more potential for noise, etc.
No right, no wrong, just choices.

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,338 of 5,483

Thanks Mandrake, interestingly I let the AFCs play overnight with pinknoise and this am I had 15 minutes and did some A/B testing with my P7s on B-52's Channel Z - damn if the AFCs didn't sound better, i.e., the lack of bass was less noticeable. Tonight I'll dig in again and see what happens, in the meantime the AFCs are getting the burn-in. Maybe it's all crap or maybe it's real, who knows? and yeah, MacBook Pro > Tidal HiFi App > Anker Powerline + USB > Mojo > AFCs. Also, I found out that my laptop might have optical output so I ordered the $4.99 cord that'll tell me, arriving tomorrow. That would be cool.

In the meantime any and all advice is appreciated!

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #3,339 of 5,483
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 26, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #3,340 of 5,483
These headphones are literally awesome.
Honestly testing them against my AH-MM400, D7200, PM-2.... they are so accurate and lifelike.
The PM-2 has the same amount of detail but not the same tonality, but its also open back.
The AH-MM400 compares well also but its not as comfortable and not as lifelike, really the difference comes out in a live performance where this headphone really makes it sound like you are there.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #3,341 of 5,483
These headphones are literally awesome.
Honestly testing them against my AH-MM400, D7200, PM-2.... they are so accurate and lifelike.
The PM-2 has the same amount of detail but not the same tonality, but its also open back.
The AH-MM400 compares well also but its not as comfortable and not as lifelike, really the difference comes out in a live performance where this headphone really makes it sound like you are there.

One of my most important criteria in voicing is whether I get the "live" vibe. It's not very scientific but it's nice to hear others hear this the same way. Thanks for sharing this!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 26, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #3,343 of 5,483
Can I just say how awesome it is that a representative from MrSpeakers comments and answers questions regularly here. I don't own any of their headphones but I subscribed just for their posts.
Haha, hear that, Dan? Burn! You're just a representative, not the founder or anything :-D

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #3,344 of 5,483
One of my most important criteria in voicing is whether I get the "live" vibe. It's not very scientific but it's nice to hear others hear this the same way. Thanks for sharing this!
No problem!

For me I have had the privilege of attending quite a few live performances of both jazz and classical.
Just last Sunday I saw Ludovico in concert and earlier this year I saw Lang Lang.
Listening to either one of them on this headphone brings me back to the concert. Although as I said before the live albums really come out because the reproduction of the background noises (for example I can hear the repel of the key on Ludovico's Piano) or I can hear someone in the audience cough halfway through the piece (I know it sounds rediculous as a benchmark) but the tonality of these occurrences are more lifelike than I have ever heard on a headphone or speakers ever before.

I have Klipsch R15-PM on my TV downstairs along with a K100sw reference sub and they don't reach the same natural tonality...

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #3,345 of 5,483
I will post my thoughts on Aeon vs Sony Z1R and ZMF Eikon (both I own or owned) when I get back home later tonight. In shorter terms, the Aeon is best described as "middling" - does nothing wrong, but does nothing well either. Plus the clamping force is really something to behold.

Holy smokes man! Is your head the size of a basketball? All kidding aside, I’m the first to recognize we all hear the same things differently but I’ve never read a response this far off what might be considered a average response. Im looking forward to this refresh of your ears. “middling” isn’t a word I could use to discribe any MrSpeakers including a defective unit if there is one

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back