AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 10, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #2,656 of 5,483
I considered the AKG K701 to have excellent slam once I started pairing them with some serious amplifiers (primarily the Burson Soloist). The lower octaves were still a taut but polite rumble rather than having an imposing presence, but in some frequency above that there was excellent, high excursion, well controlled (no overhang) diaphragm movements that gave the feel of serious air impact against the side of my head.

Looking at the FR chart, I guess it's the rise through 100-200Hz? Unsure. But I certainly enjoyed listening to the presentation it gave.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #2,657 of 5,483
I think at this point everyone is just stating there preference. Not much exactly the fault or flaw on Aeon. If you like that mid bass boost, there you go with the ether. But I don't think you are saying the aeon is flawed because of it. As per your graph it's what gives the aeon that viceral bottom end and fullness to the sound that I find thin and a bit boomy on the ethers. I already have other headphones the give that presentation. (Which I notice on most dynamic drivers). Different strokes for different folks.

Yeah it's a mixture of preference, type of music, and source. I wouldn't call either the HD650 or Ether Flow (especially with the estat pads) boomy at all though and I think planars need a bit of a bass bump due to the way they reproduce bass vs dynamic drivers.

That being said, if I absolutely needed some closed cans I would get the Aeon again. It's amazing how close it's tuned to the Harman Target curve:
u5mNT9I.png

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #2,658 of 5,483
I'm getting my pair today! And I was thinking that I really need to get a headphone stand, but I was wondering about the size of the headphone? What clearance do I need?

EDIT: Found it on p. 40. FYI the phones are 11 x 9 x 6 in.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #2,659 of 5,483
There is nothing wrong with the midbass or midrange on AEON, it's the way it is very much on purpose and most people enjoy it just like it is, some with pads and some without. Naturally not everyone will like the sound as there are many preferences for signature and I think it's obvious there is no headphone that is perfect for everyone. But if you are one for whom the sound isn't what you prefer, I would request you just state it that way without suggesting our product is defective, it's not.

There are tons of factors that influence sound preferences and sadly I don't think there's much science behind why some people have different preferences, it would make my life easier if there were! That said, one factor is also what we're used to listening to; if your other phones have more relative output in this region AEON will certainly sound thin, but if your headphones are leaner it might sound thick.

This is in fact why I don't spend much time listening to other headphones, I don't want other vendors interpretation of good sound to influence me. My reference is pretty much live music (both acoustic and via PA) but of course even this is subject to interpretation as even a specific instrument can sound very different in different halls, or even different locations within a hall.

Interestingly I didn't target the Harmon curve, either. When Tyll pointed out the correlation I was surprised. I've never even seriously looked at it or loaded it as a reference curve in our test system, the headphone just came out that way when I was done. I had doubts about the curve because I had questions about the methodology, but there you go, perhaps my doubts were unfounded.

And as a interesting counterpoint on the upper bass I had a note from a customer just a few days ago asking about how he might reduce the upper bass in this region to be closer to AEON. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 12, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #2,660 of 5,483
I disagree. That area is important especially when it comes to giving that deep chesty body needed for many songs.

I agree that there's no one headphone but the Aeon' lack of body and weight really kills the headphone. You already have the Ether and Flow models which are already inherently thin and I feel you missed an opportunity here.

I feel the Aeon improves over the flows in most other aspects though.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,661 of 5,483
That is your opinion and you are welcome to it of course.

BTW the thin midrange was an artifact of the QA issue we had on some early units. If you'd like PM me your serial number to verify....

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 12, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #2,662 of 5,483
Waste of time entering into an opinion contest, I learnt years ago that I don't have to convince anyone of anything, however that has never stopped me offering an opinion.

Aeon isn't thin in mid-range, vocals are clear, precise and extremely engaging. I haven't had enough head time to offer a full opinion, however the Aeon has a quite flat sound signature with no specific emphasis, it is not U or V shaped, nor r or n shaped, simply reasonably ___ .
If headfiers are looking for "bass slam" (emphasised bass) then look else where. The Aeons do not lack bass IMO, but it is not emphasised (grab a Sony ZR1 if that is your preference) and the balanced/neutral sound signature is a treat, and tuning is very natural to my ears.
Mr speakers reference is live music and for me the Aeon hits the target.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #2,663 of 5,483
I disagree. That area is important especially when it comes to giving that deep chesty body needed for many songs.

I agree that there's no one headphone but the Aeon' lack of body and weight really kills the headphone. You already have the Ether and Flow models which are already inherently thin and I feel you missed an opportunity here.

I feel the Aeon improves over the flows in most other aspects though.

Again that is only your preference. I understand its important to you. I agree the ethers are thinner in comparison with aeons. But for me, and others the aeon got it just right.

Any more than what it has now will make sound darker and thick. Saying Mr Speakers missed an opportunity is just ignorance( no offense). I waited for aeon so to speak as the ether-c I had is just too thin for me. But many others like it and so the guy who bought it from me.

We can talk about which sound signature is best all day and someone will always disagree. However, if we talk about technical capabilities of the headphone like ringing, noise, comfort etc then probably that would lead into sonething productive and help Dan improve on his headphones.

Aeon has tick most of the boxes for me. But making the current aeon more portable as I like to use headphones on the go when I can will be a huge improvement for me.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #2,664 of 5,483
I think the Aeon sounds great the way it is, which is pretty even keeled with smooth, even, and deep bass with good impact, well blended midrange, and non-peaky, non-harsh treble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 12, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #2,665 of 5,483
There's a reason why I bought an aeon and not an atticus. If there were any more body to the lower mids, I wouldn't enjoy the sound! I say this as someone who doesn't even use the inserts. Is there a compelling reason why any given headphone should be tuned to your preferences and not mine? I sure hope not! You go ahead and enjoy headphones that are tuned the way you like and let me enjoy mine. Insisting that these are bad because they aren't just like some other doesn't make sense to me on any level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 12, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2,667 of 5,483
I don't argue that for you it lacks the mids as per your preference. Like you said it shows in the measurements. So what? My point is you keep insisting and somewhat shoving it to anyone's throat that your preference is what everyone should go with. Which I think is wrong.
Nope not once did I say that you did just now.

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #2,668 of 5,483
[Mod Comment]

I'm going to quote from the posting guidelines.

1. ☞ Be excellent to each other.
  2. ☞ Treat others with the same respect and dignity that you would expect back.
  3. ☞ Extend your respect to the whole community by creating quality posts threads and reviews.
  4. ☞ Before posting something, imagine if everyone was to do as you are about to and if that would be good or bad for the community.
  5. ☞ View your Head-Fi experience in a positive light, even when people are negative and unhelpful.
Our forum rules have one major purpose: they allow a respectful exchange of ideas. These rules have been created to provide you with information about what you can expect here, and what is expected of you. There's nothing wrong with contrary opinions, in fact life would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on everything! We have to insist though that opinions are expressed in a civil fashion, free of insults. Use common sense. As yourself often if what you're about to post would be good if everyone were to do as you are.

and

Curb any urge you may have to flippantly dismiss someone's opinion. (Examples: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" or "That's bull****"). Don't take comments personally. Just as music tastes are subjective, so is the equipment used.
☞ Remember that differences in opinions about headphones and IEMs and other audio gear are due to people listening to different music at different volumes, both which considerably alter the perceived sound! ☜

and

Avoid getting personal. Do not make personal attacks, even veiled or generalised ones, such as "All people who believe X are deluded.", "All people who can't hear the difference must be deaf.", "This will be fine for people without hearing problems." etc. If you disagree with someone's opinion, discuss the opinion, not the person.

A good tip is: When you start posting about the member ("You ...") instead of the product or discussion about it, then you're getting personal.
A better idea by far is to add "I think" or "IMO" (In My Opinion) to what you write, because, after all, it is ONLY your opinion. Even thoughts about science topics are opinion.

I've removed some posts. I've avoided issuing warnings - but if the current vein of conversation continues - I will issue those warnings, and if necessary, take stronger action.

It is NOT ok to:
  • Dismiss someone else's opinion (flippantly) and insert your own opinion as fact
  • Attack anyone for their preference - this includes attacks on sponsors and MoTs as well as members

And remember - one person's idea of correct bass, is probably another's idea of too much. Someone's idea of recessed mids - may well be someone else's idea of perfect mids.

I'll entrust you guys to read the rules, and keep things on track.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,669 of 5,483
Hiya

It's my first time in a while posting in this thread and I have some questions to ask regarding the Aeon.

I'm parting ways with my TH900 as they are a bit bright and I always like discovering new gear. In doing so, I am looking to possibly purchase the Aeon to replace the TH900 as my speed/detail can (mainly for metal music).

I had considered the Focal Elear as they seemed to be right up my alley, but would prefer a closed headphone for several reasons.

Do any Aeon owners in this thread happen to have had (or currently have) the Mrspeakers Alpha Prime? I know they are two very different designs, but I believe the Aeon and AP were tuned to have a similar house sound if I'm not mistaken.

Is there anyone that has heard both headphones that could compare them for sound? Only asking because the Alpha Prime is still my all time favorite hp and still have regrets selling it. :/

Also, are there any metal-heads that can confirm the Aeon has the speed to handle quick-paced metal music? My TH900 has the speed and extension to handle anything I throw at it, but I feel the time is right to downsize and move on.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,670 of 5,483
Hiya

It's my first time in a while posting in this thread and I have some questions to ask regarding the Aeon.

I'm parting ways with my TH900 as they are a bit bright and I always like discovering new gear. In doing so, I am looking to possibly purchase the Aeon to replace the TH900 as my speed/detail can (mainly for metal music).

I had considered the Focal Elear as they seemed to be right up my alley, but would prefer a closed headphone for several reasons.

Do any Aeon owners in this thread happen to have had (or currently have) the Mrspeakers Alpha Prime? I know they are two very different designs, but I believe the Aeon and AP were tuned to have a similar house sound if I'm not mistaken.

Is there anyone that has heard both headphones that could compare them for sound? Only asking because the Alpha Prime is still my all time favorite hp and still have regrets selling it. :/

Also, are there any metal-heads that can confirm the Aeon has the speed to handle quick-paced metal music? My TH900 has the speed and extension to handle anything I throw at it, but I feel the time is right to downsize and move on.
i highly encourage you to sell the th900 after trying the Aeon ,, they are very different headphones .
best luck on your next buy .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back