AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #2,461 of 5,483
I'm seriously troubled friends. This is my first foray into the Hi-Fi world and I think my ears might just be garbage from hearing loss. I can tell these headphones are better but I can't really explain by how much or what. I don't know what I expected but I legitimately struggle to tell the difference between 128 and 320 kbps files in this online test that I found. Do I just have to train my ears?

Could be multiple reasons: source, something in your chain, your previous headphones, or simply your ears. That being said, once you start spending over a few hundred bucks the differences from mid to high end headphones is much smaller.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #2,463 of 5,483
I'm upgrading from cheap 20-30 dollar IEM's and headphones. I'm using my laptop using Master/Hi-Fi quality audio from Tidal -> Chord Mojo -> AEON's. I think maybe I just need time to learn to appreciate the difference?

I would give them at least a week of solid listening. Don't go back and forth between different headphones. Once you get a good amount of time in, go back to your old headphones and see if you notice a difference. In my case, I went back to my HD 650 and realized I loved them more due to the mid-bass boost and open feeling.

That being said, after I realized the Aeon wasn't for me I tested the Ether Flow for a couple days and fell in love immediately. I tried going back to my HD 650 but I missed the Ether Flow.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2,464 of 5,483
I would give them at least a week of solid listening. Don't go back and forth between different headphones. Once you get a good amount of time in, go back to your old headphones and see if you notice a difference. In my case, I went back to my HD 650 and realized I loved them more due to the mid-bass boost and open feeling.

That being said, after I realized the Aeon wasn't for me I tested the Ether Flow for a couple days and fell in love immediately. I tried going back to my HD 650 but I missed the Ether Flow.
Agreed. It's one of those things that might not make an immediate difference to some people but when you go back to what you were using before you find it hard to adapt. Similar to going from a 60Hz monitor to a 120hz monitor and then going back after a couple months. If that reference is relevant for anyone.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #2,466 of 5,483
I'm upgrading from cheap 20-30 dollar IEM's and headphones. I'm using my laptop using Master/Hi-Fi quality audio from Tidal -> Chord Mojo -> AEON's. I think maybe I just need time to learn to appreciate the difference?

The standard pattern that you get when people who are new to the hi-fi world listen to a good-quality thing is, "I guess this is better, but it doesn't seem like a really big deal, idk." And then, once they've spent a month listening to it exclusively, they try out their old cheap headphones and are all "what the hell, this is unlistenable garbage, how did I think this was a small improvement?"

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #2,467 of 5,483
@Serge Bernamej don't take this the wrong way but you've made it abundantly clear you're not a fan of the Aeons and much prefer the Primes. No one has taken any issue with that and more power to you for figuring out what you like. Just seems like you've belabored the point a bit and began to derail the thread. If you have anything new to add about the Aeons please chime in, otherwise maybe make your way to a thread about the Prime where your thoughts on it may hold more value. Needless to say excessive hate for the Aeon on this thread where there are a majority of pleased Aeon owners isn't going to go over well, unless that's what you're after. I'm actually really impressed with everyone being so patient this long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #2,468 of 5,483
@Serge Bernamej don't take this the wrong way but you've made it abundantly clear you're not a fan of the Aeons and much prefer the Primes. No one has taken any issue with that and more power to you for figuring out what you like. Just seems like you've belabored the point a bit and began to derail the thread. If you have anything new to add about the Aeons please chime in, otherwise maybe make your way to a thread about the Prime where your thoughts on it may hold more value. Needless to say excessive hate for the Aeon on this thread where there are a majority of pleased Aeon owners isn't going to go over well, unless that's what you're after. I'm actually really impressed with everyone being so patient this long.
There's no hate for the Aeons here

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #2,469 of 5,483
I can happliy jump from LCD-2 to Aeon and the sound opening up and the improvements in the high end are far more noticeable than the loss of low end (which is to say that it's still got power and rumble and sounds full).

My full-sized headphone quest has taken me from SR80i to a used HD650 (older tuning), to the HE-500. What I like about the HE-500 is what it does to vocals, but I purchased a Phillips X2 for my girlfriend a while back and was jealous of the engagement they produced that my HE-500 just don't.

I'm not a basshead, I just want my music to grab me a little more than it does with the HE-500. I've tested the Nighthawk and was repulsed by them.
I'm not sure how much power your Polaris is putting out, but I can't imagine anyone considering a properly driven set of HE-500 unengaging. I drive them with a Burson Soloist or a Headamp Gilmore Lite, and am happy with the results either give.

I'd consider the HE-500 a little more engaging than the Aeon, but the Aeon will be easier to power to a level that produces decent dynamics. Of course different people have different freqencies that engage them more, and frankly, I think part of my impression is that the Aeon do a bit better a job of just fading away (but again, as a package, I can't believe anyone would find the HE-500 unengaging).

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #2,470 of 5,483
[Mod Comment]

Now watching this thread after multiple complaints. Just want to make it very clear:
  1. It is never OK to make a personal attack on anyone - if you do, your posts will be removed and you'll receive a warning. If you continue, we'll escalate - and we don't like doing that - ok?
  2. Although threads often derail - we do advise members to try and keep them on track. if you are consistently taking a thread off track, your access to the thread will be removed.
  3. If you think someone is contravening the rules - report them, don't respond. Let us deal with it.

Thanks

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #2,471 of 5,483
Aren't we an impatient bunch? So eager to get rid of it. Most likely the aeons reported to be lacking bass are from the batch which did have problems. Having said that, I'm still waiting for the aeons to be available locally so I can demo it first. I learned my lesson blindly getting the ether-c which was not the close-back headphones I was looking for. If anyone heard the ATH-MSR7 and compare it with Aeons, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,472 of 5,483
I'm seriously troubled friends. This is my first foray into the Hi-Fi world and I think my ears might just be garbage from hearing loss. I can tell these headphones are better but I can't really explain by how much or what. I don't know what I expected but I legitimately struggle to tell the difference between 128 and 320 kbps files in this online test that I found. Do I just have to train my ears?

128 and 320 mp3 or flac, etc? 16 or 24 bit? It more complicated than that.

I'm definitely keeping my Aeons, I'm just curious as to whether its the music being listened to or my ears. I'll know Saturday.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,473 of 5,483
Problem with the Sony you mention is poor isolation I think. Enjoy MDR-Z7 more than Alpha Prime?

I agree that the Sony isn't the most isolating for closed, but I don't find it open or even semi-open sounding. In fact in a room with A/C going it does enough for me. I'm sure it doesn't isolate as much as the Prime or Aeon though. If you do ever try a pair, get it from a place with a good return policy just in case. If you like the sound, you'll like it better with the modifications. If you don't like the sound, you still will NOT like it better with modifications. They clean up the sound a bit, but it's still generally the same full low mids and mid bass. The sub bass extends nicely as well.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #2,474 of 5,483
Also I'm not saying that they aren't a definite improvement. Listening to these over my VSonic 3DS's and my other headphones it's a huge leap in quality for sure. It's just not what I expected? I love these headphones though. They're beautiful and comfortable!

I appreciate all the advice friends. What you're saying definitely makes sense! Also I just listened to a track I noticed subtle differences that I didn't better like a difference in sibilance or instrument separation.

Also the carbon fiber of my laptop matches the headphones. I'll post some pictures later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back