AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 16, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,431 of 5,483
The AEON has plenty of bass compared to most open headphones (HD800, K/Q701, Grados). Maybe not as much as closed "basshead phones". It's a good balance, but it's better for Rock/Metal/EDM/Rap than the phones I just mentioned precisely becase of its bass, in my opinion. I'm not sure what is meant with all this syrup and sugar talk, getting into nonsensical audiphile terms. It's like saying someone smells like purple. How do you sound like syrup and sugar? Syrup and sugar don't make a sound.
Ahahah ?! Nonsensical? Have you even heard the Alpha Prime? They are far far from being bass heavy.
And I'm not so sure the Aeons main problem is their lack of bass !
They just sound very thin compared to the Prime, which were the first closed back cans that I loved NOT JUST AS CLOSED BACKS.
At one point I thought I could let go of my LCD3 ! Of course when I A/B'd the Audeze and the Prime, the Audeze was still more resolving and airy...but that's how great of a closed back the Prime was : made me fall in love with (classical) music all over again.

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #2,432 of 5,483
Actually I bought them barely used as new from CAM.
Yes I'm very curious about the Sont flagship.
So it's quite possible that they were a pair that needed to be recalled and fixed.

I can see that you like a bassier sound signature, but my Aeons have a very good level of bass that extends pretty deep.

Apparently the recalled ones have a thinner sound.

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #2,433 of 5,483
So it's quite possible that they were a pair that needed to be recalled and fixed.

I can see that you like a bassier sound signature, but my Aeons have a very good level of bass that extends pretty deep.

Apparently the recalled ones have a thinner sound.
Maybe !
But what about the "harsh" highs?
Etc etc...
Even the comfort on the Prime is incredible! Although the Aeons are wsy up there to! If they had an Alpha pad option they would certainly beat the Prime in comfort.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #2,439 of 5,483
Are you really going to argue that the super plush non-synthetic super mellow Alpha pads are not comfortable?
Give me a break.

Yes, they're only so-so. My ears felt cramped in them. There's also nothing special about lambskin leather over a good quality protein synthetic leather on the aeon's pads. Did you know that actual leather is not breathable, while pleather can be breathable? Plus, the Aeon's pads have memory foam inside-- it doesn't get much more plush than memory foam. The Aeon's huge openings-- by comparison-- are a revelation.

I would make a joke, but I'll refrain.

It's what he said!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2,440 of 5,483
Yes, they're only so-so. My ears felt cramped in them. There's also nothing special about lambskin leather over a good quality protein synthetic leather on the aeon's pads. Did you know that actual leather is not breathable, while pleather can be breathable? Plus, the Aeon's pads have memory foam inside-- it doesn't get much more plush than memory foam. The Aeon's huge openings-- by comparison-- are a revelation.

I'll never deny that the Aeon is overall a masterpiece of comfort; but I still find the Alpha pads more comfortable, amd I don't know why, but I "sweat" less in them than with the leather Aeon.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #2,444 of 5,483
Jul 16, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #2,445 of 5,483
As @Sarnia is suggesting, you want to know if you have one of the Aeons that need to be returned.
Contact MrSpeakers with your serial number and they will let know where you stand.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/a...netic-headphone.833820/page-154#post-13593412
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/a...netic-headphone.833820/page-155#post-13593578
Should have done that before selling it but thanks !
Anyways the Alpha Prime has better isolation (not by much at all); so I'll leave it at that.
Ok I think I sais all I had to say about the subject.
I still worship Dan for having given us the stellar Alpha Prime.
And the Aeon is still an extremely competent can in my view. Just boring though.
That's it for me; no more comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back