AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 20, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #2,056 of 5,483
Unfortunately, for mine that hasn't changed. For certain electronic tracks, it has just the right amount of bass. For others, it doesn't have quite enough 'oomph.' I'm guessing the inserts will make up some of the difference when I get them, but definitely not all of it. On the plus side, this tuning means the bass hasn't once sounded flabby or uncontrolled in any track/genre.

I received the inserts and they make a difference with electronic music for sure. I prefer them in for electronic music and out for pretty much everything else. Certain songs which I found lackluster before now carry weight.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #2,057 of 5,483
Unfortunately, for mine that hasn't changed. For certain electronic tracks, it has just the right amount of bass. For others, it doesn't have quite enough 'oomph.' I'm guessing the inserts will make up some of the difference when I get them, but definitely not all of it. On the plus side, this tuning means the bass hasn't once sounded flabby or uncontrolled in any track/genre.

The bass is indeed very precise and controlled. It's just missing a tad on some tracks. The inserts doesnt change much for me tbh.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #2,058 of 5,483
I Am Lorde Ya Ya Ya

Seriously, new Lorde album is great. I also got inserts today. I think I prefer without inserts. They lose a bit of the shimmer (which I quite like) with inserts.

Ditto. Running without inserts.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,059 of 5,483
Have all the parts to make a DIY 10 ft Aeon cable.

Does anyone have a link to a wiring diagram for the MrSpeakers connectors, dual entry? Dan's web site is down, and a quick search through the DIY cable forums didn't produce any hits.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,060 of 5,483
...has anyone flown with them yet?

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,061 of 5,483
Have all the parts to make a DIY 10 ft Aeon cable.

Does anyone have a link to a wiring diagram for the MrSpeakers connectors, dual entry? Dan's web site is down, and a quick search through the DIY cable forums didn't produce any hits.

Site is back up, pinout is on the Technology page.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 20, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,063 of 5,483
Someone earlier in the thread said that they did. If I remember correctly they said they were comfortable and did a good job. Try searching for it.

I found only posts saying they "may be good due to size" but no actual in flight use, unless my search string is bad. I've been following thread since beginning.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #2,064 of 5,483
Compared to...?

Hi thinking about trying these to go with my new high powered head amp a Questyle 600i - my current cans are LCD2 (pre-fazor) which are too dark for my aeging ears; AKG 702 which sound much better in terms of top range airiness to my tastes. But in my country try the Aeon will cost the more than the Sennheiser 800 (on special) so was wondering has any one comments on the relative merits of these two ? Thank you in advance

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,065 of 5,483
Compared to...?

Hi thinking about trying these to go with my new high powered head amp a Questyle 600i - my current cans are LCD2 (pre-fazor) which are too dark for my aeging ears; AKG 702 which sound much better in terms of top range airiness to my tastes. But in my country try the Aeon will cost the more than the Sennheiser 800 (on special) so was wondering has any one comments on the relative merits of these two ? Thank you in advance

I have the HD800 and the Aeon... and the CMA600i.

I think ultimately the HD800 is the better headphone, more details, better soundstage, more open, better defined bass albeit not as present. They are both what I'd describe as neutral headphones, but voices have a slightly fuller tone on the Aeon. The Aeon have a more pleasant presentation over all. Same goes for the bass. The Aeons are not a bassheads headphone, but when I first plugged them in coming from the H800 I found them almost bloomy. After getting used to the Aeon I find the amount of bass to be just right and reach for them for pop, electronic, rap and other genres that benefit from a little more bass. The HD800 just brings you a few steps closer to the music, especially on live recordings. They let you see deeper into the recording which is why they are the winner for me. Sound quality aside, the Aeon is the most comfortable of the two, but both are excellent in this regard. The isolation of the Aeon is very good, which of course you won't get with the HD800. I have no concerns about the build quality of either headphone, they are both solid.

Oh and I'll add this. Should you end up with the HD800 you'll have a fantastic pairing with the CMA600I. People complain that the HD800 is too bright and have harsh treble. With the CMA600I none of this is present. The sound is smooth, the highs are never piercing and voices never too thin.

These are just the thoughts on the two headphones on the top of my head, sorry for the unstructured post. If there is anything specific you'd like me to comment on let me know.

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,068 of 5,483
Jun 20, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,069 of 5,483
Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. thanks.

I saw that one, no mention of noise reduction and/or isolation. I'm sorry I wasn't specific. Looking for description of sound not comfort, although that's important. I already own PM-3

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2,070 of 5,483
I saw that one, no mention of noise reduction and/or isolation. I'm sorry I wasn't specific. Looking for description of sound not comfort, although that's important. I already own PM-3
What, specifically, are you looking for? They're great for office use as they drop the outside world volume a reasonable amount, keep your music in, and quickly drown out the outside world with not much volume. But you'll still hear people's conversations without music playing. It's not a big stretch to say they'll be not as good as noise cancelling circumaural headphones with no music playing, and better with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back