AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 16, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #2,011 of 5,483
This was basically what I thought after opening the box. I hated complaining, but I was very disappointed to find scuffs on the baffle, frayed cable, seal broken on box. Initially I thought it silly to complain about pad cushioning feeling/looking uneven, so I didn't mention it. But it's the one thing, after a couple weeks of use, that annoys me the most. I love the sound on these things, but every time I look at them, all I see is the scuffs, fraying and uneven padding. It's like buying a new car, getting it home and realizing that one of the tires is flat, there's a dent on the fender and the headlining is torn. It sure drives great, but damn you feel robbed.

So I received mine today...
and the pretty much the first thing I noticed was a long grey line of "something" on the left earcup, it feels rough and rises slightly higher than the surrounding surface, not sure if it's the carbon fiber delaminating or glue or something else. I tried gently wiping it with a damp warm cloth but to no effect.

and a few other things I noticed...
-pads have uneven cushioning, the left side has less foam around the back and compresses more than right earpad, could possibly lead to channel imbalance but hopefully not.
-the left side has a bit of plastic foam material poking out of the bass port, whereas the right side as a good 5mm before I see any through the port (the material looks similar to the material placed inside the earcups for protection during transport).
-top of right earpad has a small abrasion (not as shiny as surroundings)
-cable is tad frayed near the splitter on both sides.

To say that I was slightly disappointed would be an understatement.
I can accept the other things, because nothing's ever perfect, but the grey mark just ruins the aesthetics.
Anyone else have something similar? pics below (sorry only have a bad phone camera right now, tried taking from a few angles but the pictures don't do it justice).
AEONa_zpsxyk3llnb.png

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/Someboat455/library/aeon?sort=3&page=1

I don't want to come off as abrasive. I do like the headphones, the sound of them, but I just wish it didn't have these issues...

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,013 of 5,483
I've always used the leather band. There is just not enough friction to use the metal band on a slippery surface bringing a drop to the ground into play. You can always replaced the leather band easily and cheaply if needed in the future.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,014 of 5,483
and the pretty much the first thing I noticed was a long grey line of "something" on the left earcup, it feels rough and rises slightly higher than the surrounding surface, not sure if it's the carbon fiber delaminating or glue or something else. I tried gently wiping it with a damp warm cloth but to no effect.

This was basically what I thought after opening the box. I hated complaining, but I was very disappointed to find scuffs on the baffle, frayed cable, seal broken on box.

Quick way to resolve these issues is an email to MrSpeakers.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,015 of 5,483
Best and likely only way. We can commiserate, but not resolve anything.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #2,017 of 5,483

-pads have uneven cushioning, the left side has less foam around the back and compresses more than right earpad, could possibly lead to channel imbalance but hopefully not.
-the left side has a bit of plastic foam material poking out of the bass port, whereas the right side as a good 5mm before I see any through the port (the material looks similar to the material placed inside the earcups for protection during transport).
-top of right earpad has a small abrasion (not as shiny as surroundings)
-cable is tad frayed near the splitter on both sides.

To say that I was slightly disappointed would be an understatement.
I can accept the other things, because nothing's ever perfect, but the grey mark just ruins the aesthetics.
Anyone else have something similar? pics below (sorry only have a bad phone camera right now, tried taking from a few angles but the pictures don't do it justice).
AEONa_zpsxyk3llnb.png

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/Someboat455/library/aeon?sort=3&page=1

I don't want to come off as abrasive. I do like the headphones, the sound of them, but I just wish it didn't have these issues...

Sorry for that, please email photos to info@mrspeakers.com and we'll make sure you're taken care of. Nobody should have an out of box experience that disappoints them.

Regarding the ear pads, we actually measure and match the ear pads, as these are hand made there can and will be minor variances. The key thing to be aware of is that there is always a tradeoff between pad comfort and maintaining "perfect form." We design for comfort and seal first, it is not uncommon for the seam to move a few mm away from the edge of the foam after repeated compressions. I'm behind schedule but I'll be posting a short video on pad-fluffing for anyone concerned about that. It's cosmetic and won't affect sound, it just may make the pads look a bit more uneven then they are.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 16, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #2,018 of 5,483
When putting the Æons on a stand like the Woo Audio T-stand, is it recommended that they hang on the leather band or the metal wires?

Leather

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,019 of 5,483
This was basically what I thought after opening the box. I hated complaining, but I was very disappointed to find scuffs on the baffle, frayed cable, seal broken on box. Initially I thought it silly to complain about pad cushioning feeling/looking uneven, so I didn't mention it. But it's the one thing, after a couple weeks of use, that annoys me the most. I love the sound on these things, but every time I look at them, all I see is the scuffs, fraying and uneven padding. It's like buying a new car, getting it home and realizing that one of the tires is flat, there's a dent on the fender and the headlining is torn. It sure drives great, but damn you feel robbed.

You should have immediately reported that to MrSpeakers. Did you let them know upon delivery?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 16, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,021 of 5,483
On the topic of coming soon: How much burn-in should I plan for on the Aeon? I've heard something like 150 hours for the Ether - would the Aeon be in the same range?
Any news on burn in for the Aeon? I've had it burning in for the last 4 days and was wondering if anyone has any new findings to share about changes in sound. Thank you.

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #2,023 of 5,483
Maybe you could tell us... :wink:
That's right... maybe I can! :) From what I can tell, at 100 hours of burn in the sound has opened up a bit more. The treble sounds more "tinny" though, so I'm hoping this will improve with additional time. I think the bass is somewhat punchier as well. I'll leave it burning in for 3 or 4 more days and re-evaluate.

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #2,024 of 5,483
I can. Aeons have considerably more depth and soundstage vs the sine. Bass quantity is increased with the Aeon. There's more mid presence to my ears in the Aeon, but in a less than pleasing range for certain songs (400-600 range). Sines are a bit warmer in the low mids, more extended up top but almost to a fault. Two very different experiences, but very different form factors as well. I like the Aeons better for certain songs and Sines better for others. Aeons kill with a good modernly recorded rock track. Both are exciting to listen to in different ways but the sines will sound wimpy in comparison. Depends on what you plan on doing with them...sines are a fantastic portable, Aeons I wouldn't wear in public personally.

After a couple of hours with my SINEs, I think your description is absolutely correct. I would only add two things to it. The SINEs also have inferior imaging and instrument separation particularly with complex music, and they have less sub-bass, making the bass less satisfying and impactful. I enjoy the sound signature quite a bit, however. The SINEs are worthy and impressive, but the AEONs are a clear step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back