AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 15, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,000 of 5,483
Loose weight or shave your head.
I just find the clamping pressure to be more than I would like. For example HD600/650 doesn't really clamp at all once broken in. They don't have almost any caliper pressure, because they are made a certain width. The Ethers on the other hand clamp quite hard until the pads touch.

Was asking legit advice, no need to be a dick.

My jaw is kind of wider than normal, so I'm using a spare ZMF pilot pad that makes sure the clamp isn't too much inward/downward. I have to extend the sliders more, but I think it works well now. I also had this problem with the fostex modded headphone(t50rp).

Thanks, I actually have average head. I've heard about people using ZMF pads on their Ethers before. Will try some out... Ethers actually have pretty good comfort at least for a planar so this is mostly nitpicking.
By any chance you mean Alpha Dog/Primes? as those were pretty clunky and had pretty bad comfort.

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #2,003 of 5,483
Jun 15, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #2,004 of 5,483
The HD650 feels like the jaws of life compared to the Aeon. I couldn't wear them for more than 10 minutes they were so painful, but maybe it changes over time, I don't know. I didn't keep them long enough to find out. The Aeon has almost perfect clamping pressure to me.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #2,005 of 5,483
We don't often hear "too much clamp," when we do sometimes it's as simple as reducing how "snug" you make the headband. We don't design to "tighten" the fit using the headband, it should be adjusted to carry just a little weight on the top of the head. If you make it too snug it will add extra clamp force, which shouldn't be needed.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,006 of 5,483
The HD650 feels like the jaws of life compared to the Aeon. I couldn't wear them for more than 10 minutes they were so painful, but maybe it changes over time, I don't know. I didn't keep them long enough to find out. The Aeon has almost perfect clamping pressure to me.
But I will bet you were clever enough to spend a couple of minutes playing with different positions of the head strap before you found that "just right" feel.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2,007 of 5,483
I'd say my HD600s are still a bit more comfortable than the Aeons, but more because they weigh less than because of clamping force. The Aeons are still very comfortable and I've had no issues wearing them for long periods of time.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #2,008 of 5,483
So I received mine today...
and the pretty much the first thing I noticed was a long grey line of "something" on the left earcup, it feels rough and rises slightly higher than the surrounding surface, not sure if it's the carbon fiber delaminating or glue or something else. I tried gently wiping it with a damp warm cloth but to no effect.

and a few other things I noticed...
-pads have uneven cushioning, the left side has less foam around the back and compresses more than right earpad, could possibly lead to channel imbalance but hopefully not.
-the left side has a bit of plastic foam material poking out of the bass port, whereas the right side as a good 5mm before I see any through the port (the material looks similar to the material placed inside the earcups for protection during transport).
-top of right earpad has a small abrasion (not as shiny as surroundings)
-cable is tad frayed near the splitter on both sides.

To say that I was slightly disappointed would be an understatement.
I can accept the other things, because nothing's ever perfect, but the grey mark just ruins the aesthetics.
Anyone else have something similar? pics below (sorry only have a bad phone camera right now, tried taking from a few angles but the pictures don't do it justice).
AEONa_zpsxyk3llnb.png

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/Someboat455/library/aeon?sort=3&page=1

I don't want to come off as abrasive. I do like the headphones, the sound of them, but I just wish it didn't have these issues...

Edit: Dan reached out and offered to replace this pair :D

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #2,009 of 5,483
Sorry to hear about that. If you haven't already, you should contact MrSpeakers directly about this and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

My pair has none of those problems except for a very mild version of your bass port foam problem: both sides' foam are recessed and invisible when not looking directly into the port, but one side is maybe 1-2 mm less recessed. The rest of the headphones are flawless.

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #2,010 of 5,483
Just received mine. Thank you MrSpeakers!

Packaging is top notch. Really good presentation with a nice box, certificate and a storage case that is more compact than I expected. Headphones are solid and really comfortable.

The foam inserts are a must. They went right in, before that they sounded kind of hollow. They are a little bright in the upper mids and not terribly well extended in the bass, but they seem decently transparent with good tonality and treble overall. Bass is quite tight.

They sound like they need burn in, so will let them play for a week or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back