AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 2, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,741 of 5,483
Always sucks when it is not all of the way in... sonically, that is.

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #1,745 of 5,483
Aeon is definitely NOT a basshead headphone. For me it has lots of nice bass response. When called for, it digs deep. It never makes one think that bass is the big thing..if it is not. I can see that if you are a real basshead... maybe you should try listening to some of the Fostex headphones... I know of nothing else.. especially with crazy EQ, does bass like them. There is a thread here for crazy bass lovers... search Hawaiibadboy,, BASS...check them out.Though I have no experience at all with any Sony headphones.

As always...it is all relative...
I can vouch for the great Fostex bass, TH-X00 in my case. Very powerful, even overpowering you could say. The Aeon bass is very tight and controlled whereas I would never say that of the Fostex bass.
Interesting that you started with closed. Most people seem to go the other way. Of course, a noisy listening environment ruins open-backed cans, at least for me.

Always been curious about the TH-X00. You should do a comparison with the AEONs!

BTW, do yourself a favor and at least try the HD600/650 before you make an open-backed purchase. There's a reason so many people have them!
I sold my TH-X00 almost a year ago. Was part of the original massdrop.

That's not to say the TH-X00 don't have their appeal: they have a powerful and lush bass that is rarely heard in other headphones. It's unique and very engaging at first. But this level of bass becomes overpowering after enough listenings, and I would consider myself a mild basshead. It's not fatiguing in the immediate way that harsh treble is, but I'd describe it as tending toward monotony which is fatiguing in its own way. The Aeons have a tight, controlled, yet well-extended and ever-present bass that doesn't overpower other frequencies.

I don't remember enough of the TH-X00 midrange besides the fact that it was somewhat masked by the bass presence. Obviously, the Aeons don't have this problem.

There's really no comparison between the higher frequencies of the TH-X00 vs the Aeons: the Aeons are a clear winner here. The mid-high percussion has a snap and liveliness that I've only heard replicated in TOTL (or close to it) headphones. I'm hearing details on the Aeons I haven't heard before with my other headphones.

The Aeons are just more resolving and euphonic than the TH-X00s to my ears. I'd say they're on a tier above the TH-X00. If I still had the TH-X00, I'd probably still use them occasionally for electronic music when I wanted to feel that deep bass. But for everything else, and electronic music most of the time, I'd pick up the Aeons.

Jun 3, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #1,746 of 5,483
If you want a track that shows off some of the Aeons' strengths, try Billie Jean with good sources. I'm listening to it at this moment via Tidal and an Antelope Zodiac Silver. The most critical among us would have trouble finding fault with this reproduction, Or not: the criticality of us audiophiles is unbounded. :o2smile:

Another: Johnny Cash - Man in Black

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #1,747 of 5,483
Yesterday I used the AEON for a marathon gaming session while playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS4 pro using an ifi micro idsd black label via optical. I think I've found my new go-to gaming headphone. As I've said before, for my small hat size, the comfort is second to none. I've decided they are more comfortable over long sessions than the Beyer DT 770, my previous go-to. They DT 770 is more comfortable initially, but after hours and hours I find the headband starts digging in. The headband on the AEON doesn't seem to have this problem and distributes weight evenly. They are so light and still have good grip. You won't forget you're wearing them, but you definitely won't worry about positioning or comfort during long gaming sessions. It seals out external noise very well and does an admirable job at preventing sound leakage too, but at very loud volumes it does leak some sound. My ears somehow didn't sweat at all, either.

For gaming, soundstage can make or break a headphone. I would describe the soundstage as very good for a closed can, making in-game ambient noises and effects seem realistically placed in 3D space. With the black label's bass boost, the AEON has more than enough bass response to rattle my head (just a little bit) during explosions without losing any bass definition. The AEON can definitely extend deep into the sub bass region, especially with a little help from the black label. Treble and detail retrieval are great for games, letting you know when things are happening, but not being distracting or overemphasizing ambient noises.

If you've been looking for an audiophile grade sealed headphone for gaming you should definitely give the AEON a listen.

Oh yeah, I'm really enjoying them with music too. "You and I" by Wilco is a great example of how wonderful a male/female duet can sound on the AEON.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #1,748 of 5,483
After a proper listening session last night- I find the bass really satisfying, punchy and detailed- wonders happen if u connect the headphones right- I am defiantly happy- however I also have the MDR z1R which has some more bass and dynamics but still very engaging and detailed sound- I could live with both- coming from the Primes find the Aeons with a tad more clarity while still having good impact- tough decisions should I sell the Sony or stay with the Aeons

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,749 of 5,483
After a proper listening session last night- I find the bass really satisfying, punchy and detailed- wonders happen if u connect the headphones right- I am defiantly happy- however I also have the MDR z1R which has some more bass and dynamics but still very engaging and detailed sound- I could live with both- coming from the Primes find the Aeons with a tad more clarity while still having good impact- tough decisions should I sell the Sony or stay with the Aeons

The Z1R is on my radar for a listen at this years London CanJam. Whilst it's a bit of departure from my usual preferences I would never discount it without a listen. Although I do think it will be a love it or hate headphone for me.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #1,750 of 5,483

I've been eyeing the Sony's for some time, would be interesting to have full comparison!

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #1,751 of 5,483
I sold the Z1R and opted for the Aeon even though I am still waiting on delivery and don't know how they sound. The Z1R is too bulky to be truly portable. The bass is great but overall it's not balanced enough and can get a little fatiguing.

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #1,755 of 5,483
Does anyone have exp with Jotunheim and would share some practical contact and observation with Aeon?

I drive my Aeons with a Jot fed by a Bimby. It is an excellent pairing. The detail retrieval is incredible. The soundstage is the best I have heard from a closed back and actually competes with many open cans. The bass is more neutral from my perspective. Not light, it gives you what is there without a bunch of coloration. All in all for me, this can is a homerun, and this combo is just about perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back