AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 27, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,606 of 5,483
Just got out of the Schiitr and holy Schiit do these scale well. First I listened to a Mjonlir 2 Gungnir Multibit combo and I was impressed. Good balanced, good dynamics, okay clarity and separation. I was slightly disappointed with the match I didn't hear the same energy my Aeons had with my Vali 2, it was just technically better. I next moved onto the Raggy Yiggy combo and wow just wow. I heard things I had never heard before both live and on headphones. The Rag really brought the Aeons to their full potential and the Aeons brought the full potential out of the Rag. Just wow. I was speechless for and entire minute. Didn't have a chance with the Jot as the drivers were freaking out.

May 27, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,607 of 5,483
I've borrowed a pair and they are quite impressive. On the good side is the easy comfort of the design and very revealing sound, which is voiced fairly neutral. On the less impressive side is that the neutrality can make music feel less engaging. A couple of dB up in the bass would be great, especially the low bass, which felt a bit lacking on a couple of tracks.

May 27, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #1,608 of 5,483
I'm curious - how efficient is the AEON? Would one need a dedicated (or even portable) amp, or would the AEON be efficient running out of a smartphone without much quality degradation? I'm considering purchasing the AEON as a closed headphone for the office and also for all the traveling.

May 27, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #1,609 of 5,483
Yes I love how the Aeon sounds through my QP1R. I now have two awesome closed back cans for on the go use. Although I will never takes these closed back beauties out in the hot Florida sun. Bu t they are perfect ect for cruising the mall/ grocery.
It is surprising how little it takes. After reading your note, tried driving with the Fiio e12, and the Aeons give very little back though feeding through a Yggy might be a factor.

May 27, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #1,610 of 5,483
First impressions (only spent an hour with the AEONs):
With the risk of repeating others, those are probably the most open sounding closed-backs I have ever auditioned!
Using the iFi micro BL as DAC/Amp out of my laptop - they sound awesome :)

I absolutely love my Ether Flows, and now - they're at risk of being sold... maybe...
I think the Ethers produce more details, but it is NOT day and night for sure! And the bass is great on the AEONs - not far if at all behind the Ethers!!

Also, interestingly - when comparing the Ether Flow (open) with the Ether C Flow, I preferred the open version. But comparing the Ether Flow (open) with the AEONs - there is no clear winner for me. Mostly listen to rock music, btw.

Hope my impressions help.

May 27, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,611 of 5,483
I'm curious - how efficient is the AEON? Would one need a dedicated (or even portable) amp, or would the AEON be efficient running out of a smartphone without much quality degradation? I'm considering purchasing the AEON as a closed headphone for the office and also for all the traveling.

I found I needed a dedicated amp to get appreciable volume out of them with medium-quiet recordings. The other headphones I had on me-- M1060, PM3, Elear, all could hover around the 40-50% on my computer's amp to get good volume. The Aeon needed around 90%, and that's most likely introducing distortion into the onboard amp.

May 28, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #1,612 of 5,483

I've now listened to the aeons quite a bit in portable rigs using tidal from my iPhone 7 plus to both my Mojo as well as to my cozoy REI. The Mojo, as others have said, provides plenty of power for the Aeons, more than enough to drive them fully into ear damaging levels and the aeons sound great with them. Somewhat surprisingly for me, the aeons also sound great out of the tiny cozoy REI, a batteryless dac/amp that doesn't require a cck and which I think is quit a wonder for how tiny it is. It is super musical (fun) and provides probably 95% of detail, clarity, and performance capabilities of my Mojo. I have the crank the volume up high (70-90% before it too gets too loud), but these are driving the aeons fantastically as well. A very pleasant surprise bc I basically had been considering the REI an iem dac/amp.

May 28, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #1,613 of 5,483
First impressions (only spent an hour with the AEONs):
With the risk of repeating others, those are probably the most open sounding closed-backs I have ever auditioned!
Using the iFi micro BL as DAC/Amp out of my laptop - they sound awesome :)

I absolutely love my Ether Flows, and now - they're at risk of being sold... maybe...
I think the Ethers produce more details, but it is NOT day and night for sure! And the bass is great on the AEONs - not far if at all behind the Ethers!!

Also, interestingly - when comparing the Ether Flow (open) with the Ether C Flow, I preferred the open version. But comparing the Ether Flow (open) with the AEONs - there is no clear winner for me. Mostly listen to rock music, btw.

Hope my impressions help.

P_20170523_191518.jpg

100%, setting on 1w mode and go ! Is realy good !

May 28, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,614 of 5,483
I can speak about using a phone but the Aeon and QP1R is a great match

May 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,615 of 5,483
Third impression: "Small Town," the new live recording of Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan at the Village Vanguard (ECM, FLAC 96/24). This has the Æon at its best, Morgan's bass clearly delineated with a lot of body, and Frisell's Gibson semi-acoustic guitar with its deep base tone and sparkly overtones. I've heard Frisell play that guitar live, and this is what I heard then! Great recording, very well reproduced by this chain including the Æon. I'm getting a bit of a sense that small ensemble music is where the Æon will do best.

May 28, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,616 of 5,483
I haven't listened to my Liquid Carbon for quite a while, but set it up this morning with my musical paradise MP-D2 and this is a really great match. I really like how the Aeons pair with the LC. I didn't feel the ether flows had the same synergy with the LC. The ether flows sound better with my DNA status than the Aeons, so will maybe dig a little deeper and try some other pairings.

Just as well this is a holiday weekend!

May 28, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #1,617 of 5,483
Thanks for that. One system that I use at work is the LC and Pulse Infinity. Now if that package just shows up soon...

May 28, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #1,618 of 5,483
Once I purchase the Aeon, I'm thinking about getting the DX200 and pairing it up with it. Does the Aeon require an additional amp, or is the amp 1 in the DX200 enough? Also, I'm wondering if I should get the QP1R over the DX200. Which stackless pair is the better match?

May 28, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,620 of 5,483
Once I purchase the Aeon, I'm thinking about getting the DX200 and pairing it up with it. Does the Aeon require an additional amp, or is the amp 1 in the DX200 enough? Also, I'm wondering if I should get the QP1R over the DX200. Which stackless pair is the better match?
Have you considered the Fiio X5 III. Some may dismiss it just based on price alone, but I have seen reviews saying that they preferred it over the iBasso unit. As I am still waiting for the Aeon, I can't say how the Fiio will work with it. I do get very satisfying results with my PM-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back