AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 24, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #1,067 of 5,483
How?  It said pre-orders were sold out when I looked last night.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #1,070 of 5,483
Ah good move. If anyone else wants to sell their spot let me know. I'm late to the party and just learned of these.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,071 of 5,483
The Aeons are awesome and budget friendly at $800 but I do wish the MSRP was a full $1000. That way they could have full carbon fiber triangle contoured caps (Ether Flow C style) for a more slick one piece look. Plus add back that missing pivot point on the headband, use premium leather, ETC. Pehaps a premium special edition in another color?

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,073 of 5,483
  I think that would defeat the purpose of what mrspeakers is trying to do with this headphone.

Concur, after those upgrades and for a few hundreds more you would have an Ether in style only and not sound which wouldn't really make much sense... why target the USD1000 market especially as it appears that the sub-USD800 market is the new focus and definitely ready, primed, and in need of/for a major shake up.

It will not be surprising if some top-tier performance audiophile headphones soon appear out of this awakened market segment (sub-USD800) with a high probability that they could even be as low as USD350-500 where many place the diminishing returns demarcation. The HD6xx have proven that it can be done and after their seemingly never-ending success it would not make any sense for companies to not go after this segment again... albeit via lower impedance models (due to mobile devices) and at even more competitive pricing (sub-USD500).

I was reading somewhere that it is predicated that a new budget king of audiophile tier-one grade headphones will appear this coming year with sub-20 ohms impedance and a sensitivity/efficiency well below 100 dB/mW (possibly nearing 95 db/mW as mobile devices are predicted to get even more powerful due to recent battery and op-amp efficiency technologies).  The Aeons appear to be proving this prediction correct (14 Ohms; 97dB/mW) and will probably spark/kick-start a race at this market segment which was kinda started by the Sines with their 20 ohm impedance and >120db SPL/mW specs and target customer market.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,074 of 5,483
Don't get me wrong, the Aeons look fantastically built as is, I'm sold. But why not both options? Have two models, one being a limited edition with premium build and styling. I think there is market for slightly more premium build materials and style even at this price range and especially at a semi-portable headphone size. In for $800, in for $1000, it's not that much more to me. I imagine there are those like me that like the fine looks of the B&W P7 Wireless or Oppo PM-3 and desire the next level of sound - but still don't want to spend $1800 just yet. Otherwise they would have bought a plastic MDR-1A or something.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #1,075 of 5,483
Don't get me wrong, the Aeons look fantastically built as is, I'm sold. But why not both options? Have two models, one being a limited edition with premium build and styling. I think there is market for slightly more premium build materials and style even at this price range and especially at a semi-portable headphone size. In for $800, in for $1000, it's not that much more to me. I imagine there are those like me that like the fine looks of the B&W P7 Wireless or Oppo PM-3 yet are still wanting the next level of sound - but still don't want to spend $1800 just yet. Otherwise they would have bought a plastic MDR-1A or something.

For such a small operation, MrSpeakers is churning out high-quality headphones at an extremely impressive rate. They're always iterating and improving, so don't be surprised if there are variants of the AEON in the future, including an open version. I'm not privy to any inside information, just throwing it out there. Just think, in the last five or so years, they've come out with:
  1. Mad Dogs
  2. Alpha Dogs
  3. Alpha Prime
  4. Ether 
  5. Ether-C
  6. Ether Flow
  7. Ether Flow-C
  8. AEON

All of these are very well regarded headphones. I can't name another company that has literally never made a bad (or at least bad for the price) headphone. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #1,076 of 5,483
I think we should all wait for the Aeon to be officially released and have the opportunity to spend time with it before commenting on what improvements should or could be made.  I took a chance with the pre-order based on MrSpeakers' excellent reputation and the reviews of the Aeon by CanJam attendees.  I subsequently purchased the Mad Dogs, which I think is a very good headphone for the price, and makes me excited even more for the Aeon. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,077 of 5,483
Don't get me wrong, the Aeons look fantastically built as is, I'm sold. But why not both options? Have two models, one being a limited edition with premium build and styling.

Probably because A) a premium Aeon would canibalize sales from the highly regarded and more profitable C Flow, and B) the relatively small premium sales would not net enough margin to cover the costs of production,  and C) the company's resources are currently committed to further refining the Ether E-stat and ramping up production of the Aeon, and would also be better spent on developing a similarly priced open-back Aeon than adding cosmetic upgrades to the closed-back version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back