AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 29, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #796 of 5,483
A cool thing; the Spring Tokyo Headphone Festival selected ÆON for the website lead image.  :)

http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/user_data/headphone_fes.php

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 29, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #798 of 5,483
If they become my "Baby Ether C Flows", I will be a much-Happy Camper! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #800 of 5,483
Will AK players (AK240 in particular) fair well driving these directly? I note the relatively higher impedance of AK players compared to most portable devices (2 ohm single ended, 1 ohm balanced).

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #801 of 5,483

I briefly listened to the Aeons during the NYC canjam and bought a set on that same day. I did not have a chance to compare these with DT1770 but can just share a little on what I felt Aeon's sound sig. It sounds neutral and packs a punch in terms of its bass impact. Naturally, it does not have the quantity/quality of sub bass of the LCDs and all (cant comment on the DR 1770) but I think the bass impact and overall quantity is still sufficient for me. Clarity wise - I think for this price point, there are not many headphones that can rival it. Build quality seems good but dare not comment until I have gotten and tried mine for an extended period of time. Sound stage. This is a tricky one. Do note that its a closed cans and if you are thinking about broad concert like sound stage, I don't think that's going to happen. If you are thinking about an intimate lounge type of sound stage with good height, presence of instruments and an airiness to it, I think that you have hit the sweet spot.

On a side note - my friend did do an A/B of the DT 1770 and Aeons and soon after, he bought the Aeons. But that is his own opinion and he just casually mentioned it to me so YMMV. Take it with a pinch of pepper

I was emailing to MrSpeakers in other matters but in the process asked objective comparison between the DT1770 and Aeon.
I understand that opinion might be little biased but I got the aswer from Dan himself.

I’m not sure how to answer other than to say that ÆON will create a more realistic experience across the board.  The 1770 is a classic headphone, but headphone technology (and voicing) have evolved very quickly, and I think you’ll just find this a more musically convincing, and comfortable, headphone.

Regards,

Dan

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #802 of 5,483

I briefly listened to the Aeons during the NYC canjam and bought a set on that same day. I did not have a chance to compare these with DT1770 but can just share a little on what I felt Aeon's sound sig. It sounds neutral and packs a punch in terms of its bass impact. Naturally, it does not have the quantity/quality of sub bass of the LCDs and all (cant comment on the DR 1770) but I think the bass impact and overall quantity is still sufficient for me. Clarity wise - I think for this price point, there are not many headphones that can rival it. Build quality seems good but dare not comment until I have gotten and tried mine for an extended period of time. Sound stage. This is a tricky one. Do note that its a closed cans and if you are thinking about broad concert like sound stage, I don't think that's going to happen. If you are thinking about an intimate lounge type of sound stage with good height, presence of instruments and an airiness to it, I think that you have hit the sweet spot.

On a side note - my friend did do an A/B of the DT 1770 and Aeons and soon after, he bought the Aeons. But that is his own opinion and he just casually mentioned it to me so YMMV. Take it with a pinch of pepper

I was emailing to MrSpeakers in other matters but in the process asked objective comparison between the DT1770 and Aeon.
I understand that opinion might be little biased but I got the aswer from Dan himself.

[COLOR=222222]I’m not sure how to answer other than to say that ÆON will create a more realistic experience across the board.  The 1770 is a classic headphone, but headphone technology (and voicing) have evolved very quickly, and I think you’ll just find this a more musically convincing, and comfortable, headphone.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]

Regards,

Dan
[/COLOR]

I think Dan is confusing the 1770 with the DT770. The 1770 isn't a classic, it's a fairly new headphone.

I had the 1770 and have the Ether. I preferred the Ether c sound as it has much better treble (sparkle). The 1770 is voiced for mixing, and is extremely neutral. I have a friend the plays in a multiple bands and mixes, and he really liked the 1770 and the PMx2 (over all my others, but he hasn't listened to the Utopia), but could only afford the 1770 (got it new for $425). While I have not heard the Aeon, if it like the Ether C but even if it is a tad warmer, then the Aeon will sound very crisp and the 1770 will sound a little warmer than the Aeon. A silver cable and bright source will bring out more life from the 1770.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #803 of 5,483
  A cool thing; the Spring Tokyo Headphone Festival selected ÆON for the website lead image.  :)

http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/user_data/headphone_fes.php

Hi Mr. Speakers!  Do you have any dealers in the city of San Francisco California that would have the Aeon By April 13?  I will be there for one night for a concert and would love to audition them if there if I could.

Thanks

Riley

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #804 of 5,483
Are the earpads real leather and can they be easily replaced? I would like to have that option.

Very high grade pleather, and they are replaceable, but removal will usually ruin the ear pad.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #805 of 5,483
Hi Mr. Speakers!  Do you have any dealers in the city of San Francisco California that would have the Aeon By April 13?  I will be there for one night for a concert and would love to audition them if there if I could.

Thanks

Riley

Sorry, no dealers will have them before we ship to our pre-orders at the end of the month.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #806 of 5,483
Very high grade pleather, and they are replaceable, but removal will usually ruin the ear pad.

Hi Dan - why would pad removal ruin it?  Are they glued?
I doubt I would be interested in "pad rolling", but still having the option is always good...

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #808 of 5,483

Hi Dan - why would pad removal ruin it?  Are they glued?
I doubt I would be interested in "pad rolling", but still having the option is always good...

You won't be able to roll the pads because nobody else will make one that fits. 
rolleyes.gif

And the adhesive that holds them in place is meant to last, it's the stuff they use to put heavy metal plates on the outside of buildings.

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #810 of 5,483

You won't be able to roll the pads because nobody else will make one that fits. 
rolleyes.gif

And the adhesive that holds them in place is meant to last, it's the stuff they use to put heavy metal plates on the outside of buildings.

OK. Thanks for the explanation :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back