AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 27, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #766 of 5,483
  If anybody could compare the Aeon to the V-Moda M100 I would greatly appreciate it.  Fit, isolation and sound.  My M100 just died on me and I have had some problems getting them fixed by V-Moda.  I am done with V-Moda.

Thank you

Riley

​Fit-depends on you
Isolation-M100 is better I think
Sound-M100 has more bass and easier to drive. M100 is louder out of your smartphone. If you have any kind of amplification the Aeon just disgraces the M100. It will literally make the M100 sound like a toy. Clarity is like 4 levels above the M100. Aeon will make the M100 treble sound a bit harsh, it's very smooth. Aeon has a wayyyyyy better soundstage, the M100 doesn't have one, period. Or at least you'll think so once you've heard the Aeon.

Sorry for the extremes, I've had several V-Moda headphones, including the M100, LP2, XS, and M-80 (actually the V-80 special True Blood Edition)

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #767 of 5,483

​Fit-depends on you
Isolation-M100 is better I think
Sound-M100 has more bass and easier to drive. M100 is louder out of your smartphone. If you have any kind of amplification the Aeon just disgraces the M100. It will literally make the M100 sound like a toy. Clarity is like 4 levels above the M100. Aeon will make the M100 treble sound a bit harsh, it's very smooth. Aeon has a wayyyyyy better soundstage, the M100 doesn't have one, period. Or at least you'll think so once you've heard the Aeon.

Sorry for the extremes, I've had several V-Moda headphones, including the M100, LP2, XS, and M-80 (actually the V-80 special True Blood Edition)

Thank you.  I am also considering the Audioquest NightOwl and the closed Audeze EL8.  Any comparison between those and the M100 and the Aeon would be very helpful.  Please PM me to keep this thread clean.

Thanks

Riley

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #768 of 5,483
Does this sound more of the ether closed back or the openback?

I heard the ether c flow before and didn't really like it as it sounded thin,congested to my liking, however the ether open back sounds excellent with great separation and sound stage maybe because its open.

Any feedback with how this compares to both the closed and open ethers. thanks!

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #769 of 5,483
  I heard the ether c flow before and didn't really like it as it sounded thin,congested to my liking, however the ether open back sounds excellent with great separation and sound stage maybe because its open.

That's strange, "thin, congested" is totally not how I'd characterize the C Flow, at least not after they've been burned in. Soundstage is relatively small, but there's plenty of authority in bass and midrange, and excellent resolution in the highs. These impressions with either Schiit Jotunheim or Cavalli Liquid Carbon, a bit warmer with the LC, balanced DUM cable. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #770 of 5,483
ill say it here because god forbid anyone say one thing negative about the audioquest headphones on their forums but listened to the nightowl through the dragonfly red at canjam and it was crap. Comfy but crap

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #771 of 5,483
That's strange, "thin, congested" is totally not how I'd characterize the C Flow, at least not after they've been burned in. Soundstage is relatively small, but there's plenty of authority in bass and midrange, and excellent resolution in the highs. These impressions with either Schiit Jotunheim or Cavalli Liquid Carbon, a bit warmer with the LC, balanced DUM cable. 

I concur. Using the LC, the ECF is anything but thin. Perhaps the cans had not yet been burned-in.

As for soundstage, I feel satisfied with the width and depth out of the LC, but it isn't mind-blowing. For a closed headphone, it does a very good job, in my opinion.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #772 of 5,483
  We are pleased to announce AEON, our latest closed-back planar magnetic headphone.  

1. All new proprietary planar driver
  2. V-Planar driver processing
  3. Trueflow motor optimizations
  4. NiTinol memory metal headband
  5. Super-comfortable circumaural design
  6. Genuine leather headband
  7. Real carbon fiber cup components
  8. Under 340 grams (12 oz)

$799.99

As a special thank you to Head-Fi, preorders for the first 250 units will be only $699.99.  The sale price will be available from a link on THIS PAGE, starting at 5PM Monday January 30.  

All sales will be final, target ship date is April 30, 2017 (note: we have to date never missed a ship date by more than a day.  While we are confident in our target date, things can go wrong, and some delays are always possible).

Hi Dan, are you going to send the review unit to Zeospantera anytime soon?

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #774 of 5,483
  How is the comparison with T5P 2nd Gen

Mind you the T5P is not a fully closed headphone, but rather a bit between closed and semi-open, so it may be difficult to fairly/accurately compare them to closed cans like the Aeon.

They definitely are no where as comfortable as the DT770s and DT880s but do sound very nice...similar to the T1 they are neutral and are very close in sound to the HD800 but more forgiving and not quite as analytical.  HD800s are much more comfortable than the T1s/T5Ps which clamp harder to side of your head.  Sound wise the T5Ps (especially the T1s) are there with the HD800s just offering a different flavor.  The only cans that I have heard that are better sounding than the HD800s, T1s, and, T5Ps would be Audeze LCD-4s (amazingly superior sound) and the LCD-XCs.

Except for the HD800s all these headphones are uncomfortable for me within minutes of wearing them :frowning2: and the HD800s which are super comfortable are not portable and offer poor isolation. 

Really hoping that the Aeons will be sonically better than my H6s while still being as or more comfortable!

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #775 of 5,483

How is the comparison with T5P 2nd Gen

Mind you the T5P is not a fully closed headphone, but rather a bit between closed and semi-open, so it may be difficult to fairly/accurately compare them to closed cans like the Aeon.

They definitely are no where as comfortable as the DT770s and DT880s but do sound very nice...similar to the T1 they are neutral and are very close in sound to the HD800 but more forgiving and not quite as analytical.  HD800s are much more comfortable than the T1s/T5Ps which clamp harder to side of your head.  Sound wise the T5Ps (especially the T1s) are there with the HD800s just offering a different flavor.  The only cans that I have heard that are better sounding than the HD800s, T1s, and, T5Ps would be Audeze LCD-4s (amazingly superior sound) and the LCD-XCs.

Except for the HD800s all these headphones are uncomfortable for me within minutes of wearing them :frowning2: and the HD800s which are super comfortable are not portable and offer poor isolation. 

Really hoping that the Aeons will be sonically better than my H6s while still being as or more comfortable!

Please note this is not the common opinion to the beyer line. The T5p biggest issue to many, myself included, is the clamping force is way too light, and thus it's hard to get a good seal, and thus good bass. The T1 and the DT line in general are common perceived as the most comfortable headphone out there. "Pillows on the ears" is how they are commonly referred to. Obviously your mileage will vary.

While I have the T1 and had the T5p gen 1, I haven't heard the Aeon yet. I do have the Ether C 1.1, and I've had or tried most of the other closed TOTL headphones. The only fully closed headphones I really likes are the Ether C. I didn't like the Flow, which I heard at a quiet meet from the MrSpeakers table (way too warm for me). I do love the Fostex TH900, which is actually quite close to my Utopia, but I have EQ the treble down a bit. Bottom line is if the Aeon provides the clarity of the Ether C with a tad more bass, it will be very well liked, and from the initial reviews, it does. Beyerdynamic may have fixed the issue with the low clamp on the T5p, and if they have, it's probably a contender against the Aeon. The gen1 T5p was too bright for many. This is a combination of low clamp and tuning. All the new beyerdynamics are tuned warmer, and the T5p gen 2 is no exception.

As for being closed, it's closed and isolated fairly well. Again, I cannot compare it directly to the Aeon. Both companies will be at CanJam, so it would be good if folks that can attend listen to both.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #776 of 5,483
Agreed on the comfort front - if the AEON can at least rival and, potentially, match the Beyer's comfort that'd be incredible and I'll for sure buy a pair once European retails get their hands on some units. I've even been considering buying the new (ish) Amiron Home just because I miss how comfortable my T90 and DTxx0s are.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #777 of 5,483
Please note this is not the common opinion to the beyer line. The T5p biggest issue to many, myself included, is the clamping force is way too light, and thus it's hard to get a good seal, and thus good bass. The T1 and the DT line in general are common perceived as the most comfortable headphone out there. "Pillows on the ears" is how they are commonly referred to. Obviously your mileage will vary.

While I have the T1 and had the T5p gen 1, I haven't heard the Aeon yet. I do have the Ether C 1.1, and I've had or tried most of the other closed TOTL headphones. The only fully closed headphones I really likes are the Ether C. I didn't like the Flow, which I heard at a quiet meet from the MrSpeakers table (way too warm for me). I do love the Fostex TH900, which is actually quite close to my Utopia, but I have EQ the treble down a bit. Bottom line is if the Aeon provides the clarity of the Ether C with a tad more bass, it will be very well liked, and from the initial reviews, it does. Beyerdynamic may have fixed the issue with the low clamp on the T5p, and if they have, it's probably a contender against the Aeon. The gen1 T5p was too bright for many. This is a combination of low clamp and tuning. All the new beyerdynamics are tuned warmer, and the T5p gen 2 is no exception.

As for being closed, it's closed and isolated fairly well. Again, I cannot compare it directly to the Aeon. Both companies will be at CanJam, so it would be good if folks that can attend listen to both.

Good sir, with all due respect I believe you may be taking my opinion and comments slightly out of context.  Please kindly note that my comments (opinion) are in comparison to the HD800 which very few would argue that are not hands down one of the most comfortable headphones around.

Totally agree that the DT line is super comfortable (I said that) but the T1 and T5P are no where as comfortable as the DT line nor the HD800 or even my H6s... no where close. But again just my opinion.

The T5P Generation 2s have a completely different head band and pad that clamps and is uncomfortable against the head to some that wear it. The T5Ps (speaking of the Generation 2s) do press down on top of the head and clamp harder than the HD800s which some how are truly pillows on air (like my H6s) while still giving a superb seal.  

Still have to agree to disagree on the T5P being a fully closed headphone... it is ever so slightly open (leaks sound and has poor isolation) and reviewers (besides myself) have noted this uniqueness which may in fact give it it's excellent sound signature.  It is not a quiet headphone and prospective buyers should be aware of this... including cable microphonic issues which I also noticed immediately but that doesn't bother me but it is extremely annoying to some.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #778 of 5,483
In no way am I saying that the T5Ps (and especially the T1s) are bad they are very nice; I was only making an honest comparison based on what I have heard and felt.

Maybe a few visual tables will help better clarify my stance regarding recently auditioned/reviewed/commented/discussed headphones in this thread (e.g. from my recent posts):

OVERALL SOUND (comparison only; first being the best)
LCD-4
LCD-XC
HD800 / T1
LCD-3
B&O H6 / LCD-2 (2016) / T5P.2
Oppo PM-3 / Alpha Prime / LCD-2 (2012) / Sine / DT770
Closed EL-8

IMAGING (comparison only; first being the best)
LCD-4
LCD-XC
HD800 / T1
LCD-2 (2016/2012)
B&O H6
T5P.2 / Sine
Alpha Prime / Oppo PM-3
DT770
Closed EL-8

COMFORT (comparison only; first being the best)
HD800
B&O H6                                                                                     Super Comfortable
DT770
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
T1 / Oppo PM-3
T5P.2 / Alpha Prime / Sine                                                            Sweaty; uncomfortable; too tight; and/or too heavy
LCD-2 (2016/2012) / LCD-3 / LCD-4 / Closed EL-8 / LCD-XC

ISOLATION (comparison only; first being the best)
Alpha Prime
LCD-XC
Closed EL-8 / Sine
Oppo PM-3
DT770
B&O H6
T5P.2
T1 / HD800 / LCD-4 / LCD-3 / LCD-2 (2016/2012)

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #779 of 5,483
                                                         Sweaty; uncomfortable; too tight; and/or too heavy

Intersting. I notice you put your location as "Siam". I assume that means Southeast Asia. I also assume it's quite hot and humid there. The velour earbuds might be horrible in that environment. 

I live in desert high country (southern rockies) where it's very very dry, and often cold. I find that leather and leather variants can get hot and sticky, but velour stays relative dry and cool. I agree that the HD800 is very comfortable, but I prefer the comfort of the T1. There are no absolutes here. My goto headphone for long listening in the PMx2, which has velour pads.

The Ether C is very comfortable, and of course we have read that the Aeon is also.

One thing to note, when I first starting listening to planar headphones, my brain needed a little time to adjust. My first was the PM-3, an arguably flat (some would say dull) headphone. After 1 hour, I never wanted to listen again. I was told to give them three days. After three days my brain had become accustomed to the sound much better, and I actually really appreciated the PM-3 (though I still didn't prefer it). Just saying, when you get the Aeon, make sure not only give the headphones a good 50-100 of burn it (just let it run 24/7 on a playlist for a few days, on the loud side), then listen to them for at least a few days. At that point you can really start to appreciate planar, if you aren't familiar with them.  

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #780 of 5,483

Intersting. I notice you put your location as "Siam". I assume that means Southeast Asia. I also assume it's quite hot and humid there. The velour earbuds might be horrible in that environment. 

I live in desert high country (southern rockies) where it's very very dry, and often cold. I find that leather and leather variants can get hot and sticky, but velour stays relative dry and cool. I agree that the HD800 is very comfortable, but I prefer the comfort of the T1. There are no absolutes here. My goto headphone for long listening in the PMx2, which has velour pads.

The Ether C is very comfortable, and of course we have read that the Aeon is also.

One thing to note, when I first starting listening to planar headphones, my brain needed a little time to adjust. My first was the PM-3, an arguably flat (some would say dull) headphone. After 1 hour, I never wanted to listen again. I was told to give them three days. After three days my brain had become accustomed to the sound much better, and I actually really appreciated the PM-3 (though I still didn't prefer it). Just saying, when you get the Aeon, make sure not only give the headphones a good 50-100 of burn it (just let it run 24/7 on a playlist for a few days, on the loud side), then listen to them for at least a few days. At that point you can really start to appreciate planar, if you aren't familiar with them.  

Very nice point there mate... yes, I live in very hot and humid Thailand and find many ear pads to be sweaty and sticky.  That is why I rate the DT770/DT880s slightly under the H6s as they tend to get sweaty faster.  Both the B&O OEM and Rapha ear pads I have are SURPRISINGLY tropic friendly, thank goodness!

Yes, I totally agree with you regarding planars... when I first acquired my LCD-2s (2012 model) they took me a few weeks to get used especially coming from IEMs, DT880s, and HD600s.  I had traded a brand new pair of Senn IE-800s for almost new LCD-2s (a work colleague didn't like the open-backs and wanted IEMs for travelling and I didn't like the IE-800s due to fit and sound... I already had Shure SE215SPE and SE535LTD-J IEMS and my HD600s had just broken so I was looking for a new pair of over ears).

Although the imaging was splendid on the LCD-2s, they were too heavy and sweaty and really hurt like hell... I also was listening to music far too loud due to my environment and their being open-backs. Once I discovered the B&O H6s the LCD-2s sadly gathered dust and thus the reason why I finally gifted them to my best friend who also has my Shure SE535LTD-Js and O2 Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back