AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 28, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #781 of 5,483
First post, long time reader.

I was just about to order the Beyer DT1770 and Schiit stack or Aune XS1 but now I'm intrigued by the Aeon. Has anyone compared DT1770 and Aeon? Main purpose for the headphones will be using them late when wife and kids are sleeping, having few beers and enjoy music(hard rock), movies and games.

I like the to balanced cables and the possibility to eg. watch Netflix from the tablet with Aeon. Although if I'm not wrong DT1770 has more kick in sub bass area which would be nice for movies.
But I'm not basshead and i enjoy sound stage, clarity and quality. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #782 of 5,483

I was just about to order the Beyer DT1770 and Schiit stack or Aune XS1 but now I'm intrigued by the Aeon. Has anyone compared DT1770 and Aeon? Main purpose for the headphones will be using them late when wife and kids are sleeping, having few beers and enjoy music(hard rock), movies and games.

I like the to balanced cables and the possibility to eg. watch Netflix from the tablet with Aeon. Although if I'm not wrong DT1770 has more kick in sub bass area which would be nice for movies.

lol perhaps ask in 2 months when it's out

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #783 of 5,483

According to review, Aeon is not particularly strong on soundstage.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #784 of 5,483
I like the sound of the EL-8C, although they may be a bit bright for my taste. The main issue I have with them is that they're heavy and the headband design does not do a very good job of distributing the weight. I typically can't use them for long periods of time, like when I'm gaming.

I do however really like the convenience of the optional Cipher cable.

it's interesting to hear your experience, I found the el8 one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #785 of 5,483
According to review, Aeon is not particularly strong on soundstage.

Oh no, really?!  I completely missed this...

I wonder if this was in comparison to an open-back (which I would then understand) or rather a direct reflection of their particular sound signature???  Since soundstage is so very close to that of imaging and timbre I fear that these may be weak as well... any mentioning of those in the review you speak of per chance?

I was really hoping to find a comfortable closed-back replacement (upgrade) from my B&O H6s in the Aeon...

The H6 also offers one of the widest soundstage of any closed-back that I have heard and is far better than (dare I say) the HD650... almost nearing the realm of the HD800 in fact. I love the neutral balanced sound of my H6s which are very open and natural sounding for a closed-back.  They are definitely open-back pretenders when it comes to comfort, soundstage, imaging, and timbre.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #786 of 5,483
Oh no, really?!  I completely missed this...

I wonder if this was in comparison to an open-back (which I would then understand) or rather a direct reflection of their particular sound signature???  Since soundstage is so very close to that of imaging and timbre I fear that these may be weak as well... any mentioning of those in the review you speak of per chance?

I was really hoping to find a comfortable closed-back replacement (upgrade) from my B&O H6s in the Aeon...

The H6 also offers one of the widest soundstage of any closed-back that I have heard and is far better than (dare I say) the HD650... almost nearing the realm of the HD800 in fact. I love the neutral balanced sound of my H6s which are very open and natural sounding for a closed-back.  They are definitely open-back pretenders when it comes to comfort, soundstage, imaging, and timbre.

That is a comparison with full size closed headphone like Ether C Flow/ZMF Eikon/Z1R/TH900

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #787 of 5,483
Ok, that makes since now... 

Besides the Aeon the Ether C Flow is the only other potential can that I have been unable to demo yet.  Just hoping that either the Aeon and/or C Flow will fit the bill for me:

Comfort
Isolating (Closed-Back)
Neutral - Balanced Sound
Superb Imaging/Timbre/Clarity
Wide Soundstage

I have read that the C Flows sound just as good as the LCD-XCs but are far lighter and more comfortable with even better imaging.  Will see... but damn they are expensive! Oh well...

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #788 of 5,483
If you don't need portability then ether c. The AEON has good height and is capable of fleshing out microdynamics when driven right so can seem to have great depth but overall it's not a full size headphone soundstage.. It's like if you take a capital T then shorten the top A little then turning it upside down.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #789 of 5,483
If you don't need portability then ether c. The AEON has good height and is capable of fleshing out microdynamics when driven right so can seem to have great depth but overall it's not a full size headphone soundstage.. It's like if you take a capital T then shorten the top A little then turning it upside down.

If you shorten the top of a capital "T" you have  "I" .  .   . and turning it upside down is still "I".    So what do you mean?  

Or maybe just try describing the sound stage limitation you are hearing more clearly.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #790 of 5,483
Dude come on. How the heck do you get an I out of shortening the top of a t. Its not to hard to figure out what I'm saying. I was simply trying to keep from drawing a picture so the letter reference seemed doable. An upside down capital T would represemt a full size headphone. The height being the vertical line and the horizontal line representing the width from outside your head. With the aeon the height (or the vertical line) has not been altered but the depth from outside the head might be slightly more shallow.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #791 of 5,483
Dude come on. How the heck do you get an I out of shortening the top of a t. Its not to hard to figure out what I'm saying. I was simply trying to keep from drawing a picture so the letter reference seemed doable. An upside down capital T would represemt a full size headphone. The height being the vertical line and the horizontal line representing the width from outside your head. With the aeon the height (or the vertical line) has not been altered but the depth from outside the head might be slightly more shallow.

I am lost... rocket ships, black holes, quantum mechanics, and hypes of other Hawking speak

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #794 of 5,483
popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #795 of 5,483

I briefly listened to the Aeons during the NYC canjam and bought a set on that same day. I did not have a chance to compare these with DT1770 but can just share a little on what I felt Aeon's sound sig. It sounds neutral and packs a punch in terms of its bass impact. Naturally, it does not have the quantity/quality of sub bass of the LCDs and all (cant comment on the DR 1770) but I think the bass impact and overall quantity is still sufficient for me. Clarity wise - I think for this price point, there are not many headphones that can rival it. Build quality seems good but dare not comment until I have gotten and tried mine for an extended period of time. Sound stage. This is a tricky one. Do note that its a closed cans and if you are thinking about broad concert like sound stage, I don't think that's going to happen. If you are thinking about an intimate lounge type of sound stage with good height, presence of instruments and an airiness to it, I think that you have hit the sweet spot.

On a side note - my friend did do an A/B of the DT 1770 and Aeons and soon after, he bought the Aeons. But that is his own opinion and he just casually mentioned it to me so YMMV. Take it with a pinch of pepper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back