AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 13, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #946 of 5,483
The unit that tyll got anyways doesn't show any noticeable closed-back coloration in the midrange, which makes it seem like the Aeon has wont' be affected too much by being closed.  Typical closed headphones have either nulls in the lower midrange or peaks in the upper midrange and general weirdness throughout.

It's probably the closest measuring headphone to the harmon preferred listener's curve.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #948 of 5,483
If you look at the measurements for the flow c it has all kinds of weirdness in the midrange and lower treble, with a dip at 175hz and a rolloercoaster-ride from 1k to 6k.  Open backs are typically smooth throughout.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #949 of 5,483
I would not have pre-ordered them if I had not had a chance to listen to them that's for sure. But after listening to them, I have no doubt they are excellent.

I agree with not pre-ordering something this expensive without having listened to it, especially because there are no returns. But For Those whom this is not super expensive, I could see a pre-order based on the nearly universally positive Impressions people have been giving online.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #951 of 5,483

While it's true that there haven't been any significant issues with the Ethers, there have been many upgrades. There were many many upgrades to the "dog" series as Dan learned and made them better. Some people (not me) aren't content unless a headphone is "done" when shipped. Take the Ether C. I heard it and loved it and bought it. Dan then came out with the tuning kit and then came out with the 1.1 upgrade, and then came out with the Flow. I applaud moving forward and I was very happy with the no or low cost upgrades for the first two. I chose not to do the Flow upgrade.

I imagine there will be upgrades and tune-ups and tweaks to the Aeon that most will be thrilled with, and others will be happy they waited, and a small set will complain about. The early adopters might not have the same product sold 2 years from now, but they will have a really nice headphone in hand for two years.

Hi Allan...  I'm going to comment on "many upgrades" because this is virtually an urban legend and IMHO does not reflect reality.   
wink_face.gif

We did have many updates to the Mad Dog, up to V3.2.  I learned customers don't like frequent updates, so we actively do everything we can to avoid changing the product.   

Here are the history of post-Mad dog products:

1. Alpha Dog added the backwards compatible Doggy Treats tuning kit
  2. Alpha Prime had no changes
  3. ETHER, our first ground up effort, had the v1.1 foam update, which was backwards compatible and user installable.  After two years, that's the only change.  The tuning pads were  a DIY option for enthusiasts to dial in the sound a bit but the tuning on ETHER 1.1 has been stable for 15 months and there have been no changes to the headphone.
  4. ETHER Flow was a technical innovation significant enough to become a new product. There have been no updates to Flow headphones.

Even if one were to debate me and argue adding a tuning kit that costs <$10 (optional and backwards compatible) we still average < 1 change per product over a four year window (we don't do stealth tuning changes).

For those concerned about build quality, a lightweight design is good not bad if it's achieved through proper engineering and materials.  From day 1 lowest possible weight without compromising quality and reliability was a top priority.  The whole headphone headband and baffle is metal except the plastic/carbon fiber cubs, and there is only one moving part, which is a bushing, so there are no screws to back out, hinges to loosed, etc. The materials are the same as in the ETHER models which have <0.5% service rate.

Lastly, the ÆON driver is made using the process and materials we use for ETHER.  ÆON's sound signature has been exhaustively tuned and field tested and I don't see that it will be changed in the foreseeable future.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 13, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #952 of 5,483
I would not have pre-ordered them if I had not had a chance to listen to them that's for sure. But after listening to them, I have no doubt they are excellent.

I agree with not pre-ordering something this expensive without having listened to it, especially because there are no returns. But For Those whom this is not super expensive, I could see a pre-order based on the nearly universally positive Impressions people have been giving online.

I pre-ordered sight unseen. I have had all of Mr. Speakers headphones since the Alpha Dog. I trust Dan and his team, I fully expect the AEon will be awesome. Dan has not let me down yet, I seriously doubt that that happens anytime soon.  

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #957 of 5,483
  Lastly, the ÆON driver is made using the process and materials we use for ETHER.  ÆON's sound signature has been exhaustively tuned and field tested and I don't see that it will be changed in the foreseeable future.  

this is seriousness. when they are produced the v2 after a short time, the v1 lose value with detriment of customer´s wallets.
i hope that aeon arrives soon in europe. i would have bought in pre-order due to excellent price but with new direction of custom it´s too expensive buy outside europe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back