AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 24, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,046 of 5,483
If going with absolute DAP only. Then I suggest the QP2R balanced. I still think it's is a level down the Hugo, but it's the best DAP to pair with Aeon. (The reason I bought it, is specifically for Aeon.)

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #3,047 of 5,483
Tried different DAPs which are powerful enough to drive the Aeon, but I find the Hugo to bring out the best out of Aeon so far. The only thing I noticed with the Hugo that seems missing from DAPs is the clear sense of Depth. From a DAP, Aeon seems to sound shallow to no sense of depth at all.
I really wish Schiit would make a portable DAC/Amp....or a DAP, can you imagine a Jot level DAC/Amp in a portable DAP :D. (and no i don't wanna hear about it's "impossibility" damn it!:L3000:

If going with absolute DAP only. Then I suggest the QP2R balanced. I still think it's is a level down the Hugo, but it's the best DAP to pair with Aeon. (The reason I bought it, is specifically for Aeon.)

QP2R you say? someone else suggested QP1R - lots of people recomending that latter one! How much better is Qp2r? It's about $300-$500 more from what I can tell...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #3,048 of 5,483
I really wish Schiit would make a portable DAC/Amp....or a DAP, can you imagine a Jot level DAC/Amp in a portable DAP :D. (and no i don't wanna hear about it's "impossibility" damn it!:L3000:

QP2R you say? someone else suggested QP1R - lots of people recomending that latter one! How much better is Qp2r? It's about $300-$500 more from what I can tell...
... and the QP1R can hold 2 micro SD cards for 400G of hires music. I can't see any reason to get the QP2R, actually, unless you are a fan of AKM DAC chips rather than the Cirrus Logic CS4398 in the QP1R, which I like a lot, compared with my AKM experiences so far, which are a bit too bland for my taste.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #3,049 of 5,483
The QP2 has a more dimensional soundstage and a significantly stronger and more resolving amplifier than the QP1. We'll have one at RMAF for people to hear, it's quite impressive.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 25, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #3,050 of 5,483
The QP2 has a more dimensional soundstage and a significantly stronger and more resolving amplifier than the QP1. We'll have one at RMAF for people to hear, it's quite impressive.
Thanks, Won't be at RMAF, but that combined with just finding out that SanDisk's long-rumored 400GB microSD is finally out... Worth thinking about.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #3,052 of 5,483

Hi,
Is balanced cable for Aeon available yet on your website?
It listed only for other models. Don't know if Aeon is compatible or applied for that cable as well.

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,053 of 5,483
I think you can use any of the Mr. Speakers cables with the Aeon.

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,054 of 5,483
I really wanna try balanced but, I'm relatively satisfied with my current setup and really, nothing here is balanced...balanced portable seems to be relatively rare btw.

hmm save up for QP2R or save up for Jotunheim? what du guys think?

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #3,055 of 5,483
AEON is late and we don't have a date, I've not been happy with the quality of affordable XLR parts, which has held us up, but this is an active project. In the meantime, our DUM XLR is a good upgrade for those needing XLR now.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #3,056 of 5,483
any of the "dual-entry" cables will work
Hi,
Is balanced cable for Aeon available yet on your website?
It listed only for other models. Don't know if Aeon is compatible or applied for that cable as well.

I think you can use any of the Mr. Speakers cables with the Aeon.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,057 of 5,483

I was already impressed with the original. The qp2 must really have some kick. This is one that I need to hear.

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #3,058 of 5,483
I was already impressed with the original. The qp2 must really have some kick. This is one that I need to hear.

It's a very clean and smooth sound, a bit more like a very fast tube amp than solid state. I also find the DAC to have a bit less hardness in the upper ranges than the QP1 (which I thought was a good value and excellent performer) though sometimes it's hard to separate DAC and Amp in an integrated device. The soundstage is huge and its very resolving but not edgy or bright and the sound has a very coherent feel to it. The wheel is also easier to use and the UI is improved, though it's not as convenient as a touch screen its pretty OK to use.

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3,059 of 5,483
Man, these headphones are just INSANITY to drive to it's full potential. I can almost HEAR the lost potential when i'm using some lowly $300 amps/dacs.

2 questions:
  1. what is the ABSOLUTE best DAC/Amp system to drive these? It must be cheaper than headphones ofc, so sub $1k.
  2. What about portable? (please don't suggest "use my phone and buy a mojo" my phone doesn't have a lot in the way of battery life or storage). And i mean ABSOLUTE BEST. I've tried AK 120 ii, Onkyo DP-X1, they were all kinda blah. Not engaging enough, i suppose it WAS driving it to high enough volume but i felt like everything i listened to was compressed.

As i said before, i tried the dp-x1 for a short while. They were kinda meh. NOT bad by any means, but even after hearing what these babies can do even with something like the M2 stack, they were very underwhelming.

"please don't suggest "use my phone and buy a"

Is there something wrong with Mojo driving Aeons?

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #3,060 of 5,483
any of the "dual-entry" cables will work

Yes I should have been a bit more specific.
Any of the dual entry cables with the same "snap on 4 pin connector" used on any of the Ether series will work perfectly with the Aeon.
The DUM balanced cable is fine.
There are many after market people that can build balanced cables using those same connectors as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back