AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 10, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #2,296 of 5,483
Been listening to these at home and on the go for a few days and I love them so far. I have kind of an odd question though, has anyone attached a modmic to theirs? I wanted to be able to use it at my desktop for gaming but am a little worried that the magnet used to attach the mic to the headphone would interfere with the planar magnetic driver.

Edit: Here's a link showing what I'm talking about:

Mic to the bottom right above the jack is the correct spot.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 10, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2,297 of 5,483
Yes, it is true the Aeon uses the same flow technology as its bigger brothers. Many people will prefer the Aeon over the Ether and Ether C Flow because of its frequency response, and consider it superior.

Same can be said with HD650 vs HD800, although that case is a more extreme, because there's clearly a technical difference between those two headphones, but the HD650's tonal balance is considerably better.

From memory, HD650 resolves about the same or a bit better than the Aeon. Aeon has better bass control, bass and treble extension.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #2,298 of 5,483
Again I believe this must be a terminology discrepancy. The resolution, as I understand the term, of the 650 isn't in the same ballpark. That being said I don't think that someone's hearing has to be called into question, just because their opinion is different than your own.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #2,300 of 5,483
I just installed the foam pads and wow they definitely added the little extra warmness that I was looking for. So far Ive been listening for a few hours and so far no issues with comfort even with my ears touching the foam a little.
Now I am looking for a dedicated amp under 1K that will give some more extra oomph - any ideas? I was thinking of getting a Liquid Carbon but they are hard to find. Any other amps with similar sound signature?

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #2,301 of 5,483
The way I use the word, the Aeon resolution is clearly superior to the HD600 resolution, which I own as well and have listened to extensively. That trademark veil to the sound that makes the HD600 so inoffensive and likable doesn't lend itself to resolving music clearly and distinctly. That's not to say that the HD600 isn't clear and distinct on its own terms, but there's a clear difference between them and more resolving headphones such as the Aeon or Elear. I'm using the word resolution in a similar sense of monitor's resolution for, e.g., watching movies or playing video games. I don't know the technical hi-fi definition of the word.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #2,302 of 5,483
Not that it matters to the discussion, but the Aeon is part of the FLOW series. Anyone look at the box they came in// A big old FLOW logo printed right on the side.... Even touted in the Mr. Speakers web copy to use FLOW technology...
And even on the headphones themselves!

upload_2017-7-11_1-26-21.png

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,304 of 5,483
And as an owner of the C Flows, this makes me very, very sad.

As an owner of the Flow C and Aeon, it does not bother me one bit. The Aeon is more fun and has slightly better isolation. The Flow C is far more transparent and has a signature that is closer to neutral. It also has better mid-range, but not as pleasing bass. I find the Flow C more comfortable. The Aeon gets a bit hot and covers a bit too much of my face (I'm 5'5"). For most people, the Aeon is the better choice in terms of price/performance and sound signature. If you really want to hear what is on your recordings, warts and all, go with the Flow.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #2,305 of 5,483
As an owner of the Flow C and Aeon, it does not bother me one bit. The Aeon is more fun and has slightly better isolation. The Flow C is far more transparent and has a signature that is closer to neutral. It also has better mid-range, but not as pleasing bass. I find the Flow C more comfortable. The Aeon gets a bit hot and covers a bit too much of my face (I'm 5'5"). For most people, the Aeon is the better choice in terms of price/performance and sound signature. If you really want to hear what is on your recordings, warts and all, go with the Flow.
Thanks for the response. Glad to hear. I can live with a sound difference as I like "neutral" over "fun".

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #2,306 of 5,483
I have been meaning to ask... may as well be here. Can anyone help me with a good definition of "fun" when it relates to how sound is reproduced. I see it used quite a bit and may have a handle of what it is based on inference. Sincerely curious and want to have a better frame of reference when reading reviews. I thought is on topic here, as it was just used in reference to the Aeon.
TIA

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,308 of 5,483
FYI we sent service notices to owners with units that definitely should be looked at. We will also be sending notes to owners whose units may be on the cusp, and also "all clear" to other owners. Also, if we missed anyone whose unit concerns them, or gave the "all clear" to you, don't hesitate to contact us if you feel you may have an issue.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,309 of 5,483
Hi,

Just received the unit today. Any recommendation for how many hours of burn in? Tx.

~100, but we generally suggest just listening to music during the burn in period. I personally find it kind of fun to hear the headphone open up...

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,310 of 5,483
I can't define it, but some characteristics: not bright, more bass than neutral, bass has some physical force, bad recordings listenable, not so transparent that you hear every flaw, speed, good mid-range. A headphone that you can kick back and enjoy without becoming overly analytical.
Not exactly what I had inferred by context in various posts, but it is helpful. Thank You! Does anyone else have a thought on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back