AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 6, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #1,816 of 5,483
Anyone know if finger oils will eventually damage the finish to the cups? I can tell from the feel that the oils rub onto them very easily. I don't mind wiping it down once in awhile, but if this is tough-as-nails material I'd rather not bother.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #1,817 of 5,483
Anyone know if finger oils will eventually damage the finish to the cups? I can tell from the feel that the oils rub onto them very easily. I don't mind wiping it down once in awhile, but if this is tough-as-nails material I'd rather not bother.
It's the same finish as on the Ethers so you might check in one of those threads to see if anyone's had any long-term issues with it. I haven't heard of any FWIW.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #1,818 of 5,483
For those who wonder why these headphones take more burn-in the answer is the driver pleating reaching a steady-state resting tension. There's little point arguing with each other; this is a thing and it is real. Does it totally transform the headphone? No, of course not, but it does relax the delivery and open up the soundstage and dynamics.

Also, IMHO there's no reason to not listen and enjoy during burn in. I kind of enjoy the experience of "oh, there it goes" when you notice it.

Exactly what I experienced and commented on in an earlier post :L3000:

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #1,819 of 5,483
I wanted to share my thanks to everyone for their detailed impressions! I always enjoy hearing what people do and don't like about our headphones. I've noted that while some people find the bass to be on the money others would like more upper-bass/lower mid output. Happily this is easily handled, as Tyler correctly noted in his comments and measurements, using a bit of foam over the driver increases output in this region.

When we were designing the ÆON headphone we tested ear-side foam we've developed for ETHER headphones. While it was quite enjoyable and provided more output in the upper bass region I ruled it out because it can touch the ear and there are people for whom ear contact is not ok, and getting the foam to work without contact would require major changes to the ear pads and possibly the baffle so we rejected the idea. In retrospect I should have included the foam in the box as the touch is quite gentle there is no reason to not let owners make that choice.

So we'll send out foam to everyone who has already received their headphone and it will be added to the product shipments effective today, and thanks to TMRaven, Currawong, Tyler and others for their feedback.

We'll post the parts to everyone by early next week.

Lastly, we expect to have all pre-orders shipped this week (sorry, it took a bit longer than we planned) and all regular orders for ÆON early next week, so our lead-time for new orders will now be quite short. Thanks to everyone for the patience!

Looking forward to trying my foamies when they arrive :beerchug:

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #1,820 of 5,483
Anyone that has a pair of Aeons or is about to receive them has or will have an award winning product. I understand MrSpeaker took home a couple of very prestigious awards this past weekend at the LAAS2017

No-one deserves an award more than Dan and the team at Mr speakers. What he's accomplished for the audio community with Aeon price/performance ratio is an incredible achievement. Some other companies need to sit up and take note. I'm looking at you "Mr because they sound sooo good"

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #1,822 of 5,483
Dan PM'd me and he will get to the bottom of it. I am not real worried as I know Dan will figure it out.
Looking at the receipt, It might be that the number on the receipt Ii got is not in fact my "order number" but a paypal "order ID" number for the transaction?? Will wait for Dan to look into it.
BTW, for reference, I ordered in April at Axpona from Dan directly.
Something weird here. I ordered Feb 13. My number was 11265 and I got my set last Thursday.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,823 of 5,483
For someone at the end of the pre-order series, this last few pages of posts have been tantalizing. Like holding a juicy sausage just out of a dog's reach. I cannot wait. Yet I must wait.

Ugh yeah i can totally relate to this, being in the 118xx myselfe. Very excited to read about the foam inserts in regards to the bass. And quite interesting about the burn-in time. Guess theres only one way to find out if its all true - try them out for ourselves :o2smile:

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,824 of 5,483
A couple quick things I've been thinking about as I continue to enjoy the AEON:

1. Burning them in for about 10 hours each evening/night and listening the next morning has been really fun. The changes, while minor, are certainly noticeable to my ears. The biggest change: I think they're becoming punchier, more dynamic. I also notice a slight refinement in the treble region. I listen to the same few songs each morning, mainly a bunch of Mountain Goats just because that's what I've been into lately, and it's cool to hear the subtle changes.

2. They feel so much lighter and smaller when worn than they actually are. These are not small headphones, but I they feel airy while maintaining a near perfect amount of clamping force for my smallish head. When I look in the mirror, I'm always surprised they look so huge! It feels like I'm wearing a much smaller set of cans.

3. Coming from mainly mid fi gear, I think the AEON is finally teaching me what "resolution," "transparency," and "scalability" mean. I can hear clear differences in the production of different tracks. I can also, for the first time, truly hear the difference in my source gear. I can now actually identify clear and obvious differences between my schiit stack and my ifi micro idsd bl that just don't come through with the HE-400S or the DT770 or even T90.

Can't wait for the foam inserts! Luckily the black label makes the bass on these things perfect for me, but I'm curious regardless!

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,826 of 5,483
Some more thoughts on the foam inserts.

I still think they attenuate the treble from 2khz on up by about 2db, but they don't bring up the upper bass as much as I thought, maybe a little less than 3db like I initially thought. I think the Aeon are comfortable with the foam inserts in, but when I take them out it's a revelation to ear space. I still prefer the amount of meat a simple EQ adds as opposed to the foam inserts, as well as the comfort.

I'm sure there will be people who find the tuning and comfort of the Aeon with the foam inserts applied though.

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,827 of 5,483
I'm pleased to announce AEON won an Alfie award for best Ear Gear at the LA Audio show!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 6, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,830 of 5,483
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back