AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 31, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #1,681 of 5,483
9-Oc69H5G4xSX5J8JXr4PCbt7APu80Jok_Oh5j0tQ4QpX92IB.jpg
FA1qqzSXl6RuZ8eCCa-ywqZ1mssYCPO-3Pd2kYsQ9QgpX92IB.jpg
I got mine today. And as I had ownership of both the Either C 1.1 and Ether C Flow's at the same time before, I can safely say the AEON by far is more comfortable for me, and isolates better than either of the Ether C variants.
Also I did not enjoy the Ether C 1.1 or Ether C flows hence why I sold both (attached proof i had both). However, the AEON's tonal flavor is much better and more enjoyable. Will let it burn in to see how it changes (if any).
Tried it off portable source using PlusSound Audio cable and my desktop setup using Norne Silvergarde S and it certainly scales with desktop setup despite its low impedance.

May 31, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,682 of 5,483
I am so excited to get these, Got my fedex email last night and the call this morning to pay for vat and import charges :frowning2: (a little hopefully they would sneak past without this)
My plan is to run them using the oppo ha2-se and iphone 7 using tidal anyone use the oppo ha2-se for running these yet?

May 31, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #1,684 of 5,483
Seems like most people in this thread have experience with a lot of really expensive headphones. Comparisons to the ethers, focals, and lcd-2/3/x are certainly interesting, but I'm also curious to hear the thoughts of those who, like me, have never spent serious time with a headphone above the $500/$600 range. I've spent most of my audiophile career with a cheaper schiit stack and an he-400s. I wonder if this bass/mid dip people are discussing will be appreciable to me.

May 31, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,685 of 5,483
Posted multiple times a few weeks ago however never received a proper answer from Mr. Speaker (who is on this thread).
If one was not in on the preorders and ordered today how far out is production?

May 31, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,686 of 5,483
Posted multiple times a few weeks ago however never received a proper answer from Mr. Speaker (who is on this thread).

About 3-4 weeks.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 31, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,687 of 5,483

FYI, the customer support through their website is pretty great. They've always gotten back to me promptly. Probably the best route to go with these kinds of questions.

That said, I'm sure many others appreciate knowing the answer now that it's out there.

May 31, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #1,688 of 5,483
FYI, the customer support through their website is pretty great. They've always gotten back to me promptly. Probably the best route to go with these kinds of questions.

That said, I'm sure many others appreciate knowing the answer now that it's out there.

Yes, it is something to keep in mind. These forums are not official support venues. Some organizations participate here, such as MrSpeakers, which I greatly appreciate. This does not mean that they necessarily read every post, nor that they have the time to reply to even those that they do read. Much better to use the official support channels for questions that need timely answers.

My take is to be happy that Dan spends any time here, not to be resentful if any given question does not produce instant gratification.

May 31, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,690 of 5,483
Picked up Aeons last night. Listened to them for a bit, though not enough to say any more than that they sound great. A huge step up from my AQ Nighthawk. They sounded good out of my Mojo, but preferred sound with 2Qute through my Hegel H160. Through the Mojo, they sounded a bit muddy by comparison. I was certain the headphone output on the H160 was it's only weakness. A nice surprise to say the least.

A couple question/observations...
1) The seal was cut/broken on the Aeon box. The shipping box was intact. Did anyone else have this? Something doesn't sit well with me about this. Why would the box have been re-opened after being packaged?
2) There was a noticeable scuff on the aluminum fresh out of the box.
3) They fit my head nicely, but noticed that the right side "slider" is loose. The left slider is tight and holds its position, the right doesn't stay locked in position.
4) The cable sheathing looks frayed in a couple places.
5) Cable quality looks and feels "cheaper" than I expected.

Pros: they sound great and look great. Very comfortable, nice weight, but...
Cons: closer examination reveals a few troubling cosmetic issues.

If I had my eyes closed and someone put these on my head, pressed play...I would be blown away. Unfortunately, I'm not blind...and the above issues have taken a bit of the excitement out of the overall experience.

May 31, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #1,691 of 5,483
Picked up Aeons last night. Listened to them for a bit, though not enough to say any more than that they sound great. A huge step up from my AQ Nighthawk. They sounded good out of my Mojo, but preferred sound with 2Qute through my Hegel H160. Through the Mojo, they sounded a bit muddy by comparison. I was certain the headphone output on the H160 was it's only weakness. A nice surprise to say the least.

1) The seal was cut/broken on the Aeon box. The shipping box was intact. Did anyone else have this? Something doesn't sit well with me about this. Why would the box have been re-opened after being packaged?
3) They fit my head nicely, but noticed that the right side "slider" is loose. The left slider is tight and holds its position, the right doesn't stay locked in position.

If I had my eyes closed and someone put these on my head, pressed play...I would be blown away. Unfortunately, I'm not blind...and the above issues have taken a bit of the excitement out of the overall experience.

As far as the slider, this is normal. Just turn the screw about 1/4 turn clockwise and it will be good and tight.

May 31, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,692 of 5,483

My cable was also frayed in a place or two and the cable is quite light and cheap feeling for the price. On the other hand I am really getting sick of the excessively heavy cables on some headphones so it is not all bad.

May 31, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #1,693 of 5,483
I got mine today. And as I had ownership of both the Either C 1.1 and Ether C Flow's at the same time before, I can safely say the AEON by far is more comfortable for me, and isolates better than either of the Ether C variants.
Also I did not enjoy the Ether C 1.1 or Ether C flows hence why I sold both (attached proof i had both). However, the AEON's tonal flavor is much better and more enjoyable. Will let it burn in to see how it changes (if any).
Tried it off portable source using PlusSound Audio cable and my desktop setup using Norne Silvergarde S and it certainly scales with desktop setup despite its low impedance.

How is Norne cable compare to DUM cable ?

May 31, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #1,694 of 5,483

The box is sealed at the factory. If the box was jarred or dropped it's possible the seal might break. But since you also have a scuff on the baffle, send photos of the box seal and scuff to us at info@mrspeakers.com and let's get you sorted out. The sliders may settle about as the leather compacts, just tighten the screw 1/4 turn until it feels like the good side. It should have friction but slide smoothly, it shouldn't move out of position every time you put the headphone on off.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back