[Advice Wanted] I Need a new Portable Amp
Jul 26, 2011 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Unicorn!

New Head-Fier
My current lousy FiiO E5 has after 1 year given up so I'm looking for a new portable headphone amp and I was hoping someone here may be able to give me some advice on what to buy and where to buy from. There doesn't seem to be a huge range of portable headphone amps available in NZ so I am happy to buy from overseas (especially while the NZ$ is so good). Looking to spend $150NZ - $350NZ (€90 - €210 or $130US - $305US). It will need to be rugged enough to live in the bottom of my bag for the majority of it's life.

For reference I'm currently using a pair of AKG K172HD cans (which i might replace with a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1) and a HTC Desire as source (which I will replace with a Sansa Clip or Clip+). I'd like to have a bit of versatility in the amp as I have quite an eclectic taste in music.

Cheers!

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 5
RSA
pico
meir audio stepdance/headsix/ 3move
alo rx

theres the cream of the cream.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Just Audio uHA-120! Best I heard! On par with some desktop amps I should say.

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the suggestions.

What can be said for the Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G? It has a slim design which really appeals to me and auto-off would great because I alway forget to turn things off.

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
My current lousy FiiO E5 has after 1 year given up so I'm looking for a new portable headphone amp and I was hoping someone here may be able to give me some advice on what to buy and where to buy from. There doesn't seem to be a huge range of portable headphone amps available in NZ so I am happy to buy from overseas (especially while the NZ$ is so good). Looking to spend $150NZ - $350NZ (€90 - €210 or $130US - $305US). It will need to be rugged enough to live in the bottom of my bag for the majority of it's life.

For reference I'm currently using a pair of AKG K172HD cans (which i might replace with a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1) and a HTC Desire as source (which I will replace with a Sansa Clip or Clip+). I'd like to have a bit of versatility in the amp as I have quite an eclectic taste in music.

Cheers!

The ttvj slim is another excellent choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back