Advice: Upgrade from an HD212 Pro for under $90, mainly used for gaming
Oct 27, 2010 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aura89

New Head-Fier
Alright, so i have a situation that i'm not sure where to go with currently. I have right now HD212 Pro's, i love them, they are great, and before i had these, i had the HD202's, which were also great, though just slightly less sound quality then the 212's, the thing i absolutely love about the 212's is the detachable cords, but despite all of this i am looking to upgrade to even better headphones

I just went to bestbuy and looked at some headphones (though i'd never buy them there they are good to test the sound quality) and tested out the HD428's, and loved the sound, it was amazing, i didn't realize the difference between headphones currently until i heard these, and i'm really on the edge of buying them, but here's what stops me:

HD428's do not have a detachable cord, and the cord that it has is very, very tiny, one of the thinest cords i've ever seen, to be honest......and that doesn't settle well with me, i'm not exactly nice with my headphones, the reason i upgraded between the 202's and the 212's is because i broke the cord on the 202's, and with the 212's, throughout the last....4-5 years, i've had to replace the cords 2 times, which i believe to be quite excessive, due to the fact that when you tug on the wires they come out of the headphones and therefore should cause them NOT to break as easy, and yet i break them anyways lol

With that in mind, i feel it very unwise of me to go with any headphones that do not have a detachable cord, but i LOVE the sound quality, bass, and just "fullness" of the HD428s

So what are my options? I'm looking to stay in the 50-90 dollar range, with the at least the same basic degree of quality, bass, and "fullness" that the HD428's offer, Circumaural (closed?), and detachable cords that can be replaced

I like Sennheiser, so i'm looking to stay with Sennheiser, so the recommendations i would like to try and stay within Sennheiser products, but if you really believe another product should be suggested i won't mind hearing about it

[size=1.1em][/size]

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi.

What equipment will you be plugging your new headphones into?

The M-Audio Q40 has a detachable cable and can be bought new for under $90.

I'm using just a computer system running vista and 7.1 onboard audio, will be purchasing a decent soundcard at some point.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi.

What equipment will you be plugging your new headphones into?

The M-Audio Q40 has a detachable cable and can be bought new for under $90.

nothing special really, just onboard audio, i use to use Creative X-Fi Fidelity Pro Gamer edition or whatever it was called but it died on me

Edit: I checked out the headphones you suggested and noticed they are called "Studiophile" headphones, i know what "audiophile" headphones are, but what are "studiophile" headphones? I assume they are what usually are branded as "DJ headphones", but i'd like to be sure

Edit 2: Oh, i also wanted to add that i use the headphones MAINLY for gaming, so if they are known to be great for music and not for gaming then i do not want them, though i'm not sure how that would be possible, i have had headphones that sound great with music but i could not stand the gaming sound, i'm not sure what it was, i just could not do it

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Disregard M-Audio's gimmick name for the Q40.  

Listened to my new Q40 today with a Prodigy HD2 sound card and with an amp. Sounded terrible out of the box, improved after an hour, and better a few hours later. It doesn't seem to be a popular choice for gaming, and I can imagine why - but then I don't game. I will keep it playing to see if it improves - until I probably return it in a couple days.

As for closed gaming headphones, I suggest changing the title of this thread to something like "Need Closed Gaming Headphones for < $90". 

Quote:
Edit: I checked out the headphones you suggested and noticed they are called "Studiophile" headphones, i know what "audiophile" headphones are, but what are "studiophile" headphones? I assume they are what usually are branded as "DJ headphones", but i'd like to be sure  
Edit 2: Oh, i also wanted to add that i use the headphones MAINLY for gaming, so if they are known to be great for music and not for gaming then i do not want them, though i'm not sure how that would be possible, i have had headphones that sound great with music but i could not stand the gaming sound, i'm not sure what it was, i just could not do it

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Disregard M-Audio's gimmick name for the Q40.  

Listened to my new Q40 today with a Prodigy HD2 sound card and with an amp. Sounded terrible out of the box, improved after an hour, and better a few hours later. It doesn't seem to be a popular choice for gaming, and I can imagine why - but then I don't game. I will keep it playing to see if it improves - until I probably return it in a couple days.

As for closed gaming headphones, I suggest changing the title of this thread to something like "Need Closed Gaming Headphones for < $90". 

Well, i love the HD212's sound for gaming and music, and have not been able to test the HD428's for gaming since it's at the store, but for music at the least, and assume i will more then likely love it for gaming aswell, so that's why my title is the way it is with the explanation i gave

Why do you say you can imagine why the Q40's would not be good for gaming?

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Alright, now i'm confused, i just got an e-mail from newegg for one of their shellshocker deals and it had a sennheiser EH 350 for 49.99, and they look....almost exactly like my HD212's, so i did a little research and found out there is the EH 150, 250, and 350, many reviews say for the 350 to just go with either the HD212 Pro's or the EH 250, so i did a graph test on headphone.com, and came up with this:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=443&graphID[]=453&graphID[]=463&graphID[]=503

Basically, what i see there, is every one of the EH phones are worse in bass except the EH 250 which is comparable, and the EH 250 has better higher pitch sounds which i guess would be alright aswell, so that seems like a decent replacement if these headphones ever go dead

But, i'm still left asking myself, What? Where did these headphones come from, why were they made, and were they made simply to replace the HD212's? they sure look like it, i'm very confused

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 9
The EH250 looks like a direct replacement of HD 212 pro with same driver and the specs are also identical (just look at the curve it's like near identical shape and that's what identifies it being exactly the same product, the variance between samples would probably the reason the curves aren't on exact same level), 150 looks just plain bad from that graph and 350 looks like it's made slight tweaks to it like perhaps different padding or something to let through a bit more highs (the curve reminds me awfully lot of Ultrasone and Denon headphones somewhat btw) but I already thought HD 212 Pros were like really bright... 

EDIT: Aha, the 350 is open, probably using same driver just different cup design and possibly padding but that's probably it.

EDIT: Yep I was right:

"Open, supra-aural, dynamic hi-fi stereo headphones"
"Spatial sound image and precise mid-range due to an innovative foam damping element"

Those are the differences between 350 and your current HD 212 Pro. 250 is the same with some minor appearence differences. Gotta love how they try to sell an old product as a new. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back