Advice/Recommendation required: IEMs and USB C dac
Jul 17, 2021 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lxvip3rxl

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

Looking for some advice, currently looking for a portable hifi set up, been a while since I researched for audio equipment and it seems as if there is so much choice I really am not sure where to start ha.

Current set up (not portable at all😂)
Headphones: Meze Empyreans
Dac: Topping D90 MQA
Amp: Topping A90
Source: Mostly Tidal
Music genres - wide range but mostly Lofi, EDM, Soundtracks, Hip Hop and, Blues, Soul, and rock (the odd bit of classical and indie)

Looking for something portable and this is where I need some advice.
USB C Dac, I have had a look at

Alo AudioPilot
Helm AudioBolt
EarmanSparrow
ZorlooZtella
THXOnyx
QuestyleM12

From what I can see they are pretty much identical, DAC chip-wise and outputs, with the helm and thx being thx certified. Is there any real advantage in picking one over another? I'm leaning towards the helm bolt and zorloo ztella just now.

Headphones wise I have no idea where to start, Ideally looking for something that has a decent amount of sub-bass and bass that doesn't muddle with the mids and highs, also like a decent soundstage, one of the things I love about the empyreans is the fact I can pinpoint where sounds come from.
Price-wise I'm happy to go up to around £500 unless anyone has a compelling reason to go above that.

Not brand conscious either.

Any other info that is required, just ask.

Appreciate any advice given :smile:

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 12
Well, if you wanted to have a good amount of customization over the process, I'd suggest something like the Qudelix 5K and their QX-Over earbuds.

The 5K, on its own, is an amazing amp/DAC that also happens to be a phenomenal LDAC Bluetooth receiver with a 2.5mm and 3.5mm jack. And it's goooood BT (Qudelix developed the LDAC stack used in the BT chip). The free companion app has more customization than I see in a lot of sub-$500 desktop setups and, assuming you want nothing to do with Bluetooth, can still use it wired over USB-C. Win-win.

The QX-Over seems to be their attempts to experiment with a 2-DD IEM with an active adjustable crossover. Only kicker? Has to be used with the 5K. Not compatible with anything else. But it's also cheap.

That combo together would come in at less than half your budget, so you could reasonably find a 250-ish pound IEM that suits your tastes and use it as well. Suffice to say the thing has enough power to make my earbuds sing and the Dunu DK-3001 isn't complaining with them, either.

https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/5k-dac-amp

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 12
I'd venture to guess they'd let you continue using the Empyrean, if you so chose. I know they're not the most portable of headphones, but it would certainly be possible.

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Appreciate the response, the quedlix combo certainly looks like an intriguing option, and I might just buy them as a secondary set.

I have been looking about and have looked at a few different things and will edit the original post to include my finding to help narrow things down further.

Started to rethink the scenarios id be using the headphone for and looked at getting an IFI Audio iDSD Signature (originally owned a black label which was fantastic, although not as portable as I'd like) then started to look at a DAP like the Fiio M11 Plus LTD, rather than just getting a USB c dongle. Also had a look at the Chord Mojo.

Headphones wise it is still a minefield, dynamic, ba, electrostatic, planar but I came across the Dunu Audio DK-4001, I see you have the DK3001...Thoughts?
Other headphones I have seen that seem to get good reviews are the KZ ZAS, AST. I'd prefer to normally listen to headphones before buying but my local shops primarily deal with HiFi speakers, amps, and over-ear headphones.

I didn't think about it but I like the idea of being able to use the amp/dac with the empyreans so I can use them in different places in the flat.

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 12
The 3001 Pro are fantastic. My understanding is the 4001 improves on the technicalities, so I don't see why it wouldn't be a smart upgrade. I love Dunu's pack-ins, especially their cables. Just an overall solid build. They'd be a great choice. Keep in mind the KZ and Dunu are wildly apart, both in tuning and technicalities. If you're considering the Dunu, I wouldn't bother with the KZ. They're good for what they are, though.

I'd probably pass on the Mojo, though it's more than likely cheaper for you to obtain one than I. The DAP idea isn't a bad one and, if you're considering the M11, getting that LTD variant and ensuring you had AKM chips might not be a bad idea as long as it's within your budget. Had I not come across the SR25, I'd be looking as well, but that DAP does so much right that I'm in no need of an upgrade.

And good thinking on the Empyrean. It's something I thought of as well when making the recommendation for the Qudelix. Always nice to be able to take something portable you previously couldn't. They're just too beautiful a pair of headphones to have confined to a shelf.

Jul 24, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 12
Well, the Dunu 4001 are the one headphone I have kept going back to when doing my research, I think the fact it has such a versatile cable as well not that should be a factor but I do like a decent cable, plus I'm sure the cable alone retails for about £300-400 though I may be mistaken. I think for the cheaper set I'll probably go for the quedlix combo. The 4001 are expensive, would there be anything else in that price range you would look at?

Yeah, I was loaned a Mojo previously and I really did like it but it nearly broke my Amirons due to a software glitch and I was quite hesitant using it after. The M11 ticks so many boxes, is portable, can be used as a usb dac, and a lot more powerful than a typical usb c dongle, it is a lot of money though, about ~£640 here in the UK, decisions decision:thinking:

Jul 24, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Maybe the Zen if you wanted to save a little bit of money and were after a different tonality, but I'm like you in that I think the cable is a major selling point of Dunu's IEMs overall. Their tip selection is pretty awesome, too, but I digress.

4001 and the 5K should make a fantastic pairing. I know it's pricey, but at least now you have something with an in-ear form factor that has a fighting chance against the Mezes in terms of things you'd enjoy listening to. Other honorable mentions would be the iBasso IT07, but I'll leave @samandhi to talk about his experience with them. Safe to say he's enamored. Maybe the EE Bravado if you wanted a more boisterous tuning? It's a pretty saturated price category, but those are some of the units that stand out to me. Etymotic EVO, if you can work with the way they fit, would also be a fantastic option and considerably less expensive.

Jul 24, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 12
Albeit i use the BTR5, the 5k should be the dac/amp to go bc of the better battery management, i'd say. :)

For an iem with a fairly large headstage, dedicated to the form factor, i'd throw the FiiO FD5 in the ring. :)
It was an ear opener for my listening, even with the Mojo, which has a more intimate sound presentation.

Guess my liking is a bit against the more clinical sounding of the sabre-based dacs. ^^

Have fun on this journey.
Chris

Jul 24, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 12
Maybe the Zen if you wanted to save a little bit of money and were after a different tonality, but I'm like you in that I think the cable is a major selling point of Dunu's IEMs overall. Their tip selection is pretty awesome, too, but I digress.

4001 and the 5K should make a fantastic pairing. I know it's pricey, but at least now you have something with an in-ear form factor that has a fighting chance against the Mezes in terms of things you'd enjoy listening to. Other honorable mentions would be the iBasso IT07, but I'll leave @samandhi to talk about his experience with them. Safe to say he's enamored. Maybe the EE Bravado if you wanted a more boisterous tuning? It's a pretty saturated price category, but those are some of the units that stand out to me. Etymotic EVO, if you can work with the way they fit, would also be a fantastic option and considerably less expensive.
While I have not heard the DK4001, I DO own the DK2001, and they are fantastic. They are more fun than either the DK3001 Pro or the DK4001, but the overall house sound is the same (technicalities are just much better on the higher numbers). I DO have the IT07, and can tell you they are absolutely fantastic (IMO), comparing to the summit-fi IEMs - from reading other's impressions - but at the same price as the DK4001. So, really, I think either would be great for you. The DK4001 have a bit less quantity of bass (this is all from what I have read comparing the DK and the IT), and present as more neutral/analytical, where the IT is more nuetral/natural. As for comfort I believe the DK probably own that one (as long as tip fitment is right for you), where the IT is more universal, but also very comfortable. They both come with TOTL cables, and pack-ins. You can get them both on Amazon, so you can return it if you don't like it, very easily. So, you really have nothing to lose with either (or both :))IMO....

I didn't see what source you were using (other than you said Tidal). So it sounds like you might need a source too? If so, then a DAP is probably going to be your best (cheapest) route in the end. Any of the mid-tier DAPs nowadays are DAMNED good IMO. I have the DX160 and was totally surprised at how well iBasso tuned the Cirus (double) chip DACs in that thing. If you are sold on the Fiio device, I would suggest you skip the M11 and go with the M11 Pro, unless you like big brightness (almost sibilance). The Pro addresses this AFAIK. I also have the DX300 (which is a TOTL) DAP, and can tell you with certainty that the DX160 and the DX300 are very similar in sound, but the DX300 is just on steroids comparatively. LOL Problem is that there are some quirks with the BT and WiFi of the DX160. Since you stream Tidal, that could be a deal breaker for you unless you use it close to hot-spot or router. Also note that all the big players in the mid-tier (and higher) DAPs will unfold MQA, just how much is decided by price unfortunately.

If you have a good phone, the 5k sounds like an absolute beast to me (in a REALLY small package), and it would be my first choice were I to be looking for a standalone DAC. There are plenty others out there (and affordable too), so don't be afraid to experiment, especially if you get them from Amazon, where you can return them if you like.

Jul 25, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 12
Appreciate the advice (from all of you), decided to go for the iBasso IT07, I think they will work well for what I'm after, thanks for the help from both of you, as much as I like the look of the dk4001 and that lovely looking cable, the IT07 seems to get better reviews in the areas like bass and soundstage.

Plus I got a pretty good deal on them with a bit of discount :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DAC wise I think I will have a look around to see what will suit best, the M11 Plus Ltd seems almost too good to be true, the iBasso DX300 looks really nice too, and since originally I want looking to spend what I did, to tie me over I'm going to buy an Astell & Kern PEE51.

You mentioned sources, I mostly stream on tidal on my pc and laptop, I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra with UAPP on it.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 12
Appreciate the advice (from both of you), decided to go for the iBasso IT07, I think they will work well for what I'm after, thanks for the help from both of you, as much as I like the look of the dk4001 and that lovely looking cable, the IT07 seems to get better reviews in the areas like bass and soundstage.

Plus I got a pretty good deal on them with a bit of discount :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DAC wise I think I will have a look around to see what will suit best, the M11 Plus Ltd seems almost too good to be true, the iBasso DX300 looks really nice too, and since originally I want looking to spend what I did, to tie me over I'm going to buy an Astell & Kern PEE51.

You mentioned sources, I mostly stream on tidal on my pc and laptop, I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra with UAPP on it.
The A&K dongle should do you quite well, then. Their house sound is pretty unique, too, so it should pull some nice tonalities out of the IT07. Nice choice.

Jul 26, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 12
Hello All,

Looking for some advice, currently looking for a portable hifi set up, been a while since I researched for audio equipment and it seems as if there is so much choice I really am not sure where to start ha.

Current set up (not portable at all😂)
Headphones: Meze Empyreans
Dac: Topping D90 MQA
Amp: Topping A90
Source: Mostly Tidal
Music genres - wide range but mostly Lofi, EDM, Soundtracks, Hip Hop and, Blues, Soul, and rock (the odd bit of classical and indie)

Looking for something portable and this is where I need some advice.
USB C Dac, I have had a look at

Alo AudioPilot
Helm AudioBolt
EarmanSparrow
ZorlooZtella
THXOnyx
QuestyleM12

From what I can see they are pretty much identical, DAC chip-wise and outputs, with the helm and thx being thx certified. Is there any real advantage in picking one over another? I'm leaning towards the helm bolt and zorloo ztella just now.

Headphones wise I have no idea where to start, Ideally looking for something that has a decent amount of sub-bass and bass that doesn't muddle with the mids and highs, also like a decent soundstage, one of the things I love about the empyreans is the fact I can pinpoint where sounds come from.
Price-wise I'm happy to go up to around £500 unless anyone has a compelling reason to go above that.

Not brand conscious either.

Any other info that is required, just ask.

Appreciate any advice given :smile:
Moondrop Variations for the IEM, it's their latest tribrid IEMs with EST drivers. For dongles shanling UA2 is very good. It also has a Balanced output with more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back