Advice please! On ear phones
Jul 16, 2010 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Fierce1979

New Head-Fier
Hello all

Been scouring this great forum for a while looking for some phones, and after much deliberation have come to a decision but just thought I'd post asking for advice, or rather confirmation!

My requirements are:

To be used almost solely with standard iPod Touch, no amp etc
On ear, closed back - almost always only used when travelling (train & tube, and walking) so noise restriction both ways is very important
I mainly listen to punk/rock, which admittedly isn't the best genre for determining speaker quality!
Budget of $200 - very strict!

As I said I've been looking high and low, and I think that the Phiaton PS 320 or MS300's would suit me down to the ground.
Already posted in the sponsors thread, asking the fundamental differences twixt the two

Anyway, based on my rather limited requirements and conclusions, would you guys say I'm looking at the right products?

Budget is strictly $200, so if you could suggest anything other than those for the money, I'd be eternally grateful!

Cheers

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 11
I have looked at them, but I discarded them based on the size and what they're described as being, ie DJ monitoring phones

They look quite large, and first glance suggests they aren't particularly for personal use. I basically want to use them whenever I'm not at home or at work, so all walking and travelling etc

There also seems to be quite a few different versions, can you point me in the direction of the one's you'd recommend please? Cheers

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 11
I have looked at them, but I discarded them based on the size and what they're described as being, ie DJ monitoring phones

They look quite large, and first glance suggests they aren't particularly for personal use. I basically want to use them whenever I'm not at home or at work, so all walking and travelling etc

There also seems to be quite a few different versions, can you point me in the direction of the one's you'd recommend please? Cheers

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 11
They're smaller than they look. Strictly on-ear. The reason they come highly recommended is the legendary durability and unparalleled noise isolation (for an on-ear set). I'd recommend reading some reviews to see if you would like the sound signature - they tend towards cold/analytical compared to my Phiatons (I only have the MS400).

Oh and the current version is the HD25-1 II. The HD25 SP uses different drivers and by all accounts is not worth getting and the HD25 is phased out. IIRC the 'II' simply refers to the  current cable configuration, which is single-sided @ 4.5ft. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 11
they arent big, they dont fold down but durability more than makes up for that, folding phones break.
goodle image search them and look at pics of them on peoples heads, might help ya decide 

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 11
Just checked them, plus discussing on another thread. Chap in London just had the very cans delivered and says they're far too big for every day commuting use. Must admit, looking at pictures etc they do look too large to me also

Shame though, cos all reports have them as impeccable otherwise, for the money anyway

Think I'm back leaning towards the Phiatons! They're also cheaper, on sale at the mo, so I could use the excess to put towards some more IEM's, as my CX500's look to be on their way out

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 11
That chap is me.  I got my HD25s yesterday and as soon as I looked in the mirror with them on, I wanted to throw them in the bin. Maybe its the shape of my head or something, but going out in public wearing them would be like wearing a t-shirt with 'I'm a Twat' written on both front and back, while holding a banner saying 'Look at my T-shirt'.

Quote:
Just checked them, plus discussing on another thread. Chap in London just had the very cans delivered and says they're far too big for every day commuting use. Must admit, looking at pictures etc they do look too large to me also

Shame though, cos all reports have them as impeccable otherwise, for the money anyway

Think I'm back leaning towards the Phiatons! They're also cheaper, on sale at the mo, so I could use the excess to put towards some more IEM's, as my CX500's look to be on their way out

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 11
I have the HD 25-1 II and I love them to death. As stated they provide excellent noise isolation for this class of headphone and the sound quality is superb (clear, detailed, great bass control and an overall very enjoyable sound). I also find them very comfortable.

The design is definitely function over form however, with the focus clearly on professionals (i.e. sound engineers and DJs). The benefit of this is they're very fixable should a component break (cups, cable and headband are all detachable), but this is very unlikely as their construction, and the materials used, strike me as very damage resistant. But as BennyBoy71 comically points out, their "styling" is quite distinct and not very discrete. I walked to the supermarket with them on during my lunch break the other day and got a few odd looks. I felt people were probably thinking "does that telephone operator realise he's stepped away from his booth and left his headset on?". I just tried to ignore this and focus on the sweet, sweet music :)

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
That chap is me.  I got my HD25s yesterday and as soon as I looked in the mirror with them on, I wanted to throw them in the bin. Maybe its the shape of my head or something, but going out in public wearing them would be like wearing a t-shirt with 'I'm a Twat' written on both front and back, while holding a banner saying 'Look at my T-shirt'.

beyersmile.png
That sealed it for me mate

Quote:
I have the HD 25-1 II and I love them to death. As stated they provide excellent noise isolation for this class of headphone and the sound quality is superb (clear, detailed, great bass control and an overall very enjoyable sound). I also find them very comfortable.

The design is definitely function over form however, with the focus clearly on professionals (i.e. sound engineers and DJs). The benefit of this is they're very fixable should a component break (cups, cable and headband are all detachable), but this is very unlikely as their construction, and the materials used, strike me as very damage resistant. But as BennyBoy71 comically points out, their "styling" is quite distinct and not very discrete. I walked to the supermarket with them on during my lunch break the other day and got a few odd looks. I felt people were probably thinking "does that telephone operator realise he's stepped away from his booth and left his headset on?". I just tried to ignore this and focus on the sweet, sweet music :)

Yep, seems to be the general consensus. Such a shame! Given that literally everything besides aesthetics is amazing. I'm in the process of building a recording studio at home, VERY early stages though, and I am absolutely gonna get a pair of these when ready. Any excuse :wink:

Quote:
Premonition said:

bump! looking for on-ear's with a close budget too! phiaton 400s seems nice

I just ordered the PS320's, as wasn't keen on the red headband. Shall update when they get here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back