Advice Please (iPhone + Soundstage + lightweight + preferably closed + No $$ constraints)
Sep 1, 2010 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kamal

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, 

This is an amazing website.. I don't know how did I miss this site before..

Just for background I have\had owned the following in-ear\on-ear\around ear ear\head-phones in past:

1. Westone 3
2. Shure SE535
3. Westone UM3X
4. (low ends like dre.. crap like bose.. etc)
5. Beats Solo
6. V-moda Crossfade LP

To be honest I have not found a pair that I would absolutely love. PLEASE ADVICE :)

My only restriction is that I have to use it with my iPhone.. so suggest the ones that sound good without amp or if you say I can even get an amp.. not really a big deal but would prefer not to.. $$ is not a constraint.. I am willing to spend as much as it takes.

So this is what I want

1. Great soundstage, I listened to "Virtual Haircut" song on my friends HD555 and it blew me away.. so reasonably piced cans but really good soundstage.. so this is the minimum soundstage I want.. you can suggest higher ends too.. 

2. Decent Bass - HD555 seems to be lacking Bass.. I want presence of clean bass like in Westone 3

3. Closed Cans - would prefer closed one because using at work (can buy open end too if you suggest that closed cans are really bad for soundstage)

4. Lightweight and Comfortable

Waiting for you guys valuable suggestions..

Cheers.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Would you be opposed to something like HD 25 II? Or how about HD212's?

Hi So Special, No I would not be opposed to headphones like HD25 II or HD212's but they seem too small and flimsy to deliver all the quality. Have you had a chance to listen to them? A friend of mine is buying Senn HD380 Pro.. they are lightweight portable and looks goo too?

Anyone listened to HD380 Pro's ?

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 12
ATH-ESW10JPN   though it can't exactly compete w/ soundstage w/ full headphones; but it is the best for among portables (in my opinion). But definetely great headphones and work friendly looking. Heck they are a fashion statement in my opinion.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 12
The reason I was asking about those two is because they have three of your four requirements.

Great Bass: the HD212's are monsters for bass, the HD 25II  are to a lesser extent but the bass  is still much better then HD 555's.

Lightweight and comfortable: these things are tiny in comparison to my RX700's both of them are small and portable.

Closed Can: And some of the best you can get for the money.

The HD 25 II's are some of the best you can get, they are absolutely worth every cent. I used them a few days ago and were blown away in every way, they really make all of my headphones seem mediocre.

The HD 212's are known as your Budget Closed Basshead cans, and they truely are just that, smaller yes( about the size of my HD201's) very comfortable( I could sleep in my HD201's I assume you could in those too.)

The problem with these is the soundstage isn't the greatest, you'd have to go for Beryerdynamics if you wanted that as well but you'd sacrifice a few of these requirements just for soundstage and you'd probably just be better off going for HD555's cause you KNOW for a fact you enjoy those( like myself, they are going to be my next headphones).

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 12
I had a pair of Ultrasone PRO 650's for a little bit, and the soundstage was great, as well as the bass. Comes with a carrying case and some extra pads and cables, too.

In your case, I'd look at a higher end model, such as the PRO 750 or 900. BTW - are you using these with a headphone amp? Most headphones $200+ will require amping for best results.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 12

Thanks for explanation So Special.. I will definitely try these out. You know any place where to try them in Canada? I live in Vancovuer BC Canada. Sorry am so new to this headphone world that I dont even know the professional store names lol
Quote:
The reason I was asking about those two is because they have three of your four requirements.

Great Bass: the HD212's are monsters for bass, the HD 25II  are to a lesser extent but the bass  is still much better then HD 555's.

Lightweight and comfortable: these things are tiny in comparison to my RX700's both of them are small and portable.

Closed Can: And some of the best you can get for the money.

The HD 25 II's are some of the best you can get, they are absolutely worth every cent. I used them a few days ago and were blown away in every way, they really make all of my headphones seem mediocre.

The HD 212's are known as your Budget Closed Basshead cans, and they truely are just that, smaller yes( about the size of my HD201's) very comfortable( I could sleep in my HD201's I assume you could in those too.)

The problem with these is the soundstage isn't the greatest, you'd have to go for Beryerdynamics if you wanted that as well but you'd sacrifice a few of these requirements just for soundstage and you'd probably just be better off going for HD555's cause you KNOW for a fact you enjoy those( like myself, they are going to be my next headphones).

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 12

Thanks Blackzarg.. yes Pro900 looks really good.. good reviews as well. They are only 40 ohms so I am assuming they should work fine without an amp? what you say?
Quote:
I had a pair of Ultrasone PRO 650's for a little bit, and the soundstage was great, as well as the bass. Comes with a carrying case and some extra pads and cables, too.

In your case, I'd look at a higher end model, such as the PRO 750 or 900. BTW - are you using these with a headphone amp? Most headphones $200+ will require amping for best results.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 12
ATH-ESW10JPN more about it.  It has really great Mids;female voices are amazing on them. Bass, I enjoy the bass on these more than on my Triple-fi's; very accurate and well pronounced too. And the highs don't hurt at all for long listening periods. Closed headphones for great isolation.
Best of all, they don't need amping! (45-Ohms impedence)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back